One of my sons senior pics.

CajunKimCajunKim Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited May 18, 2008 in People
Just thought I would share a couple of my sons pics I took of him for his senior pics. I am not an expert photographer so any C and C is more than welcome. My first leason I learned was not to take pictures in mid afternoon. Some of the close ups he was squinting an little. But you live and learn.

This is my favorite
DSC_0119copy.jpg

And this is my son being well my son.

DSC_0111woodsone.jpg

Thanks
CajunKim

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    What NO 'Gator in the pic with son....OHHHH what kid a cajun are ya....:D

I really lke them both and especially the tretment on the 1st one.....HOWEVER......do not be afraid to pull out the flash and fill in them there shadows a bit..........BUT OVER ALL NICE JOB!!thumb.gifthumbbowdown.gifbow
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    Nothin' wrong with mid-afternoon -- if you know how to work it or have the strobe power to overpower it.

That said, I can see why you had problems. On that second shot, his face is underexposed while his arm is a bit overexposed. The trick is to either keep your subject all the way in the shade and use a reflector or external light source to bring up the shadows or keep them all the way in the sun and use a strobe or reflector.

There are many ways to deal with the squinting from full sunlight too-- the best way is to simply turn your subject away from the sun. :D

Here's a sample to show you that even in full, desert afternoon sunlight with minimal equipment, it's possible to get decent photos. Here I simply used an off-camera strobe (a reflector would have worked too).

87183087.jpg

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    Hi Kim!!

I think you did a pretty doggone good job!!! He is a handsome fellow and you have done a great job capturing him. I am sure you are proud as well.

I am also from Louisiana...Baton Rouge to be exact and have a daughter graduating high school...well...next week. Also a Son graduating from SLU this weekend.

Thanks for sharing!!...and welcome to DGRIN!!:D
  • WildWallyWildWally Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    I don't know ...
    Something about the first shot just does not belong . Does not work for me. .(I like the smaller pic ...)
    The second shot is well done !!!clap.gif
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    WildWally wrote:
    I don't know ...
    Something about the first shot just does not belong . Does not work for me. .(I like the smaller pic ...)
    The second shot is well done !!!clap.gif

Maybe the hands in the pockets?
  • PaulcaoPaulcao Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gifHands in pockets are comfortable for the person, but awkward for photos imo.
  • qsjewlqsjewl Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:

I read some where that if your subject is going to have their hands in their pocket, you should have them stick their thumbs out so you can clearly see they have hands....it seems to look better in a picture anyway; but I'm no pro, so who knows!!
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    Great lookin' kid and photos. Beautiful color. I like his stance in the first picture. To me it looks very comfortable and natural for him, like that is the real him and the way you would see him stand on any given day.

Nice job.
    LadyTX
  • CajunKimCajunKim Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2008
    Thanks everyone for the comments. After reading everyones comment about his hands I went back and looked at it again and it would have been better to have his thumbs out of his pocket. But again I am still learning all the little tricks and helpful tips in the photography world. But thanks again for the help.

Kim