Fill Flash Trial

garytgaryt Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
edited May 16, 2008 in Holy Macro
Tried a couple of shots with fill flash for the first time after Brian peaked my curiousity with a few recent lighting posts. I'm not sure I like the grainier background from the higher ISO speeds (these two were run through digital noise reduction), but the lighting is great. The two shots directly below were both at ISO 800, with fill flash (-1.33 and -1.66). The last shot is with my normal flash set-up and ISO.

Fly
2496012852_0bba6c0687_b.jpg

Tussock Moth preparing for take-off. It's wings were beating at full throttle.

2495190197_9b81343855_b.jpg

Moth that came in on the wife's laundry. She was nice enough to call me to get the camera, and after a few shots, it was released unharmed outside.

2496008206_9045c8b080_b.jpg
Gary
Canon 30D, 28-80mm kit, 100mm Macro, 80-200mm, Kenko Tubes (68mm), 380EX Flash, and a wish list.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/garythompson/

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Lovely shots Gary- good experimenting :). Natural light just gives a different style. The male tussock moth needs those lovely anyennae to find the female which is a flightless egg production machine.

Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    garyt wrote:
    Tried a couple of shots with fill flash for the first time after Brian peaked my curiousity with a few recent lighting posts. I'm not sure I like the grainier background from the higher ISO speeds (these two were run through digital noise reduction), but the lighting is great. The two shots directly below were both at ISO 800, with fill flash (-1.33 and -1.66). The last shot is with my normal flash set-up and ISO.

Fly
    Tussock Moth preparing for take-off. It's wings were beating at full throttle.

Moth that came in on the wife's laundry. She was nice enough to call me to get the camera, and after a few shots, it was released unharmed outside.

Hi Gary,

I must confess I have not tried to use high ISO settings to shoot bugs.
    I seem to have gone from one extreme to another.

From years of not using a flash at all for bugs, to now using a falsh as if it was manditory rolleyes1.gif

I know Brian uses both Natural and Flash with his shots.

I'm looking forward to the day they invent a camera and lens that captures exactly what you see, in the same light that you see, without any fuss or bother.
    headscratch.gif ummmmm I hope I am capable of holding a camera at that age rolleyes1.gif

Glad you let the moth go, I dunno about you, but I get a real kick out of rescuing bugs from inside the house and letting them go :D

Thank you for sharing your experient, I love that last one clap.gif .. Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited May 16, 2008
    all 3 look great ,lighting works well on all. not bothered about a little noise in background,shouldnt be looking at background anyway !
    phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/
  • garytgaryt Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Thanks for the encouraging comments Phil, Skippy and Brian. I think I like the results and will experiment a little more with this technique.
    Gary
    Canon 30D, 28-80mm kit, 100mm Macro, 80-200mm, Kenko Tubes (68mm), 380EX Flash, and a wish list.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/garythompson/
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Nice set of shots Gary. thumb.gif Michael
    Michael
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi Gary,

I must confess I have not tried to use high ISO settings to shoot bugs.
    I seem to have gone from one extreme to another.

From years of not using a flash at all for bugs, to now using a falsh as if it was manditory rolleyes1.gif

I know Brian uses both Natural and Flash with his shots.

I'm looking forward to the day they invent a camera and lens that captures exactly what you see, in the same light that you see, without any fuss or bother.
    headscratch.gif ummmmm I hope I am capable of holding a camera at that age rolleyes1.gif

Glad you let the moth go, I dunno about you, but I get a real kick out of rescuing bugs from inside the house and letting them go :D

Thank you for sharing your experient, I love that last one clap.gif .. Skippy :D
    I can very much relate to your comments here Skippy. I rarely use flash but I am working towards it. Right now its almost all natural lighting save
    for light table work. Also your comment about camera and lens no fuss
    hits a certain "can't wait for it either" cord. :D Michael
    Michael