Options

Is Smugmug down?

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited April 7, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Is smugmug down? I can get everywhere except there. I get timed out and an error.

Do you know when it will be back up?

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Is smugmug down? I can get everywhere except there. I get timed out and an error.
    Works for me. Was probably just a temporarily problem.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2005
    dgrin and advrider were down at times yesterday. I assume they're having some problems.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:

Do you know when it will be back up?

ginger

Haven't had any outages in weeks. Probably some localized network hiccup near you, completely out of our control. Sorry about that!

Don
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 7, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    Haven't had any outages in weeks. Probably some localized network hiccup near you, completely out of our control. Sorry about that!

Don
    Must be some big connectivity troubles somewhere because I was able to access smugmug this morning, but NOT the Grins forum. This lasted for an hour or two at least, and I was able to access all of my other sites around the net during this time without even a hint of a timeout, page not found, 404, or check your network settings error. I live 45 minutes from Chicago and I am on a dsl line located just one block from a big old fat pipe.

-don
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2005
    Same happened to me yesterday. I couldn't get to dgrin or advrider all morning, but smugmug and all other sites I tried were fine. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2005
    It may also be a comcast DNS thing, my internet appeared down a bit ago - but I could hit servers directly by typing in their IP address. I switched my DNS servers over to somewhere else and all is fine now.
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Same happened to me yesterday. I couldn't get to dgrin or advrider all morning, but smugmug and all other sites I tried were fine. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2005
    {JT} wrote:
    It may also be a comcast DNS thing, my internet appeared down a bit ago - but I could hit servers directly by typing in their IP address. I switched my DNS servers over to somewhere else and all is fine now.
    Is that easy to do?

EDI: never mind, Googling.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2005
    it wasn't just DNS or comcast, I am on a IMA line (state network) running my own DNS and I was having problems at the same time ginger posted. Also not long before that I was unable to get dgrin or advrider. Don, how are you verifiing your connection, I was able to go all over the place including west cost sites and internathonal at the time.

James.
  • Options
    behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2005
    I've been having trouble tonight as well with comcast. I can get to some sites but not others.

Bear
  • Options
    BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 7, 2005
    been at home all day working (definitely not on site with the servers), and haven't had problems all day... and since I have been working all day, I have been on the site constantly. Not once today have I run into any problems with smugmug or dgrin. ne_nau.gif
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    it wasn't just DNS or comcast, I am on a IMA line (state network) running my own DNS and I was having problems at the same time ginger posted. Also not long before that I was unable to get dgrin or advrider. Don, how are you verifiing your connection, I was able to go all over the place including west cost sites and internathonal at the time.

James.

We poll the site continously from 18 different locations all over the net (Hong Kong, Helsinki, etc) and had zero outage notices today (or for weeks, for that matter).

We also noticed no measurable traffic reduction to the site or reduced load on any of our server clusters.

Off-network routing problems do occur, and might possibly have been missed in the 18-site sweep, but it's unlikely.

Note that the above only applies to smugmug, not dgrin. Dgrin and ADVrider had some DB problems yesterday that caused them to be unavailable.

Don
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    We poll the site continously from 18 different locations all over the net (Hong Kong, Helsinki, etc) and had zero outage notices today (or for weeks, for that matter).

We also noticed no measurable traffic reduction to the site or reduced load on any of our server clusters.

Off-network routing problems do occur, and might possibly have been missed in the 18-site sweep, but it's unlikely.

Note that the above only applies to smugmug, not dgrin. Dgrin and ADVrider had some DB problems yesterday that caused them to be unavailable.

Don
    That explains dgrin and advrider, and Ginger and I are in the same state, it's not like we were down, I was running live async vidieo to the philippines at the time, but I do know about those little problems that come up, had to have been something like routing.

James.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2005
    Right now I have both smugmug and dgrin up. I do have comcast. My problem today seems not as common as the rest of yours in that it has been with smugmug from sometime in the afternoon on.

My problem yesterday was with dgrin. The same as most of the rest have mentioned.

Just wanted to clarify my problems, and say that I had had that problem with dgrin yesterday morning. I e-mailed Rutt, he said that they were probably working on it or something.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.