Advice needed!!

ShannonChesshireShannonChesshire Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited May 23, 2008 in Cameras
Hey Guys!! I am new to this forum.. I am keen on buying a digital camera for point and shoot but should also have features that will be once I get a good hand on it.I have shortlisted Canon G9 or Canon S5.Any other suggestion would be appriciated..I need to choose out of this list.Also I read the reviews for both of them but am unable to decide as to which one's better.. http://www.checkcost.co.uk/digital-cameras/c/4368/mid/68/minp/200/maxp/300/ http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong9/ http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons5is/

Comments

• LovesongLovesong Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    If you are interested in getting into photography, and actually learning how to use the thing, there is no reason to go to a P&S. ALL DSLRs can be used as a P&S, but it really doesn't work the other way around. Also, with the D40, the Rebel XT, and the E-420, DSLRs can actually be had for less than some "high-end" P&S.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    The other side of that is DSLRs get much more expensive as there are a multitude of accessories to get, the main money sink being lenses. For someone just getting in, I'd think a simpler, cheaper starting rig would work better; one that allows manual control once they get to that point is a plus.

It is a tough decision between the two. Looks like the S5 has a slightly nicer lens, but is 8MP and now RAW vs the G9's 12MP + RAW output. If it were me, I'd probably go with the G9. At about $370 you still cannot get into the DSLR world without some serious bargain shopping of used gear.

After the G9 is outgrown, it would still make a nicely capable backup/travel camera.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    The other side of that is DSLRs get much more expensive as there are a multitude of accessories to get, the main money sink being lenses. For someone just getting in, I'd think a simpler, cheaper starting rig would work better; one that allows manual control once they get to that point is a plus.

It is a tough decision between the two. Looks like the S5 has a slightly nicer lens, but is 8MP and now RAW vs the G9's 12MP + RAW output. If it were me, I'd probably go with the G9. At about $370 you still cannot get into the DSLR world without some serious bargain shopping of used gear.

After the G9 is outgrown, it would still make a nicely capable backup/travel camera.

370 is pretty close to the d40 at only $100 more than $90 more from there, you get the 55 to 200 lens and you're good to go
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    Ah yes, but that is only the top of a long, steep, slippery slope. :D

Going from my own experience, I think starting out with a capable P&S is a good way to go. You aren't constantly worrying about what new bit of gear to add. You have a self-contained camera that you can concentrate on learning hte craft of photography with. Eventually you'll hit a limitation in the camera's performance envelope--you have an image in mind, know how to achieve it, but the camera cannot do it. THAT is the time to step up to a DSLR rig, IMHO. And, if in the unfortunate case that photography doesn't really take off, there's that much less money invested and the camera is still fine for use in the typical family snaps role without guilt that too much was spent on it.
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    I use an S5. IMO, the range of capability is a great introduction to thoughtful photography. The long zoom is great fun to use, and super-macro can focus down to 0cm. The articulating LCD allows composition while the camera is sitting on the ground, held over my head, or pointed back at me.

While it is true that the high-end p&s cameras can't be used 'like a DSLR', the manual modes in concert with live histograms, and ISO-shift are certainly great learning tools. I have 2000 very amateur, yet thoughtful, clicks on the S5 and have enjoyed using it immensely.

That said, it has been almost a year, and I'm starting to get to the limits. I really pine for a true wide-angle for landscapes, and I haven't committed to buying a flash until I decide what SLR system I want to eventually go with.

The S5 will be my motorcycle travel camera for a long time to come - hauling the equivalent capability in an SLR would be too heavy and expensive.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    I think a near dslr like digicam with a big zoom and manual controls may be a good idea. I personally like the Panasonic Lumix FZ 18.
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0707/07072402panasonicfz18.asp
  • HannahSuffolkHannahSuffolk Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 21, 2008
    Hey Shannon!! I just went through the list you provided.Seeing the number of sellers available with checkcost,it seems you are gonna save a lot of money..Anyways,out of the list i would recommend you to go for either of the two.Also if you are not keen on buying a compact camera,I would suggest you to go for a dslr since it would be helpful for long term use.Have a look at them..But the thing is you'll have to increase your budget a bit.This list has the cameras that you can get within your budget but then you have to buy the lenses..but trust be its worth the investment..

http://www.checkcost.co.uk/canon-powershot-g9-digital-camera/p/161626/
    http://www.checkcost.co.uk/digital-slr-cameras/c/4369/minp/200/maxp/300/
  • ShannonChesshireShannonChesshire Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 23, 2008
    Thanks Guys!! I really appreciate your suggestions..Your opinions are gonna halp me a lot.Thanks once again..