The Tamron 28-75 f/2.8

ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
edited May 19, 2008 in Cameras
Hello dgrinners!

I have a tamron 28-75 XR DI bla bla ( longest lensname ever? ) Anyways it feels very rough and worn out in the zoom mechnanism. I bought this one used and it´s probably as old as my 20D..So Since i love this lens for it´s size/wheight and maby most of all..the performance wich is gold!

How is the quality feeling on the zoomring/mechanism on a brand new one? cause i seriously think im gonna get another one.

Thanx // Arvid

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited May 16, 2008
    I bought one new about three years ago and have used it a lot. It does tend to creep towards the long end when it's hanging from my neck and pointed down. I don't think it did that when it was brand new, so it may be related to age and use. However, it has never bothered me when shooting. Since it comes with a six year warranty, there's still plenty of time to get it adjusted if it becomes a problem. And yeah, it has the silliest full name ever, but it's a real bargain.
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    I bought one new about three years ago and have used it a lot. It does tend to creep towards the long end when it's hanging from my neck and pointed down. I don't think it did that when it was brand new, so it may be related to age and use. However, it has never bothered me when shooting. Since it comes with a six year warranty, there's still plenty of time to get it adjusted if it becomes a problem. And yeah, it has the silliest full name ever, but it's a real bargain.

Okej Richard. I think that creeping is just the life of a zoom lens :D sooner or later they all creep. Anyways how is the feeling of your zoommechanism? is it still smooth or do you have problems finetuning the zoom? so is the problem on my lens atm. It works fine on rough zoom adjustments..But since it´s so rough and worn i have problems fine tuning it.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited May 16, 2008
    Arvan wrote:
    Anyways how is the feeling of your zoommechanism? is it still smooth or do you have problems finetuning the zoom?

The mechanism is smooth. I have no trouble whatsoever adjusting it to whatever length I want.
    edited May 16, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    The mechanism is smooth. I have no trouble whatsoever adjusting it to whatever length I want.

Allrighty thanx for the very quick answers =)
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif - mine is at least 4 years old and going strong and smooth as silk.
    edited May 16, 2008
    Haha then i start to wounder what life my lens bin going through...Anyways it´s a nice lens..and want one..I allso want the tamron 17-50 F2.8 and ( insert long list here )

It´s not easy to descide wich one to get.gahh
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Arvan wrote:
    Hello dgrinners!

I have a tamron 28-75 XR DI bla bla ( longest lensname ever? ) Anyways it feels very rough and worn out in the zoom mechnanism. I bought this one used and it´s probably as old as my 20D..So Since i love this lens for it´s size/wheight and maby most of all..the performance wich is gold!

How is the quality feeling on the zoomring/mechanism on a brand new one? cause i seriously think im gonna get another one.

Thanx // Arvid

Here is a service center that saved me from having to purchase a new lens......I was having similar troubles with a Sigma 70-210 and emailed this service center and they lubricated and did some adjustments on my lens and now it is silky smooth again.....

PHO-TECT SERVICE CENTER
    HESSTON KANSAS

edit: WHOOOPS....did not realize you are in SWEDEN......guess the service center above is not going to help much....lol....lol....lol
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    If it's working and optically fine, why spend about $350 for a new one with a smoother zoom?
  • dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    zoom creep is very common in the tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens. overall, it's a wonderful lens. the build quality is very good overall. i recently noticed a bit of dust on the inside of the front element of mine. it's only about a 1.5 years old and has around 100 weddings under its belt. good IQ and can't beat it with another full frame lens for the price.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto