A little Photoshop practice.

jsmileyjsmiley Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited May 17, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
I took this picture last week and decided that I would try to remove it from the background and place it only American flag.
Not as easy as you would think at least not for me. C&C please:scratch bick.jpg

Comments

• jsmileyjsmiley Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    This is what I started with.
    bick2.jpg
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    I'm not an expert, but a bit sloppy around the bottom of the front wheel, and some other fringes. Did you manualy try to paint out the background?
    www.photoshopcafe.com has a bunch of pretty cool tutorials. This one in particular deals with masking a complicated background:
    http://www.photoshopcafe.com/tutorials/masking/masking.htm

Also, I find the eagle's eye beneath the handlebar to be a distraction.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited May 16, 2008
    I know how much work is required for this sort of thing so I am reluctant to be too critical. Nevertheless, I agree with Tony's observations. A couple of other comments. I would have used a different flag shot. You can see a lot of sharpening artifacts around the top edge, as if it had been upsized considerably. I also would have worked a bit more on the windscreen, so that the background comes through it more convincingly. The devil is in the details in composites.

If you haven't already seen it, Katrin Eismann's book Photoshop Masking and Compositing is a comprehensive reference on the subject. It is well worth your time.

Regards,
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    What you're trying to do is tricky stuff....not impossible, but to look good it must be done very carefully. This effort falls short. I agree that this particular flag shot is not too good as a back-drop. The bike doesn't stand out very well. Good luck with your continued efforts.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited May 16, 2008
    aj986s wrote:
    I'm not an expert, but a bit sloppy around the bottom of the front wheel, and some other fringes. Did you manualy try to paint out the background?
    www.photoshopcafe.com has a bunch of pretty cool tutorials. This one in particular deals with masking a complicated background:
    http://www.photoshopcafe.com/tutorials/masking/masking.htm

Also, I find the eagle's eye beneath the handlebar to be a distraction.

Thanks Tony

I used the quick selection tool to remove the bike from a background and then there was all that grass around the wheels to contend with, so i was trying to roll the flag over those areas. I had some time to kill. And thanks for the reference material.
    edited May 16, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    I know how much work is required for this sort of thing so I am reluctant to be too critical. Nevertheless, I agree with Tony's observations. A couple of other comments. I would have used a different flag shot. You can see a lot of sharpening artifacts around the top edge, as if it had been upsized considerably. I also would have worked a bit more on the windscreen, so that the background comes through it more convincingly. The devil is in the details in composites.

If you haven't already seen it, Katrin Eismann's book Photoshop Masking and Compositing is a comprehensive reference on the subject. It is well worth your time.

Regards,
    Richard
    Great eye you have. I just grabbed a photo of a flag off the web and had to up size it considerably. The windscreen I used a blur tool trying to blur out the background of the grass that was behind that windscreen, I did know how to move the flag behind it.
    edited May 16, 2008
    What you're trying to do is tricky stuff....not impossible, but to look good it must be done very carefully. This effort falls short. I agree that this particular flag shot is not too good as a back-drop. The bike doesn't stand out very well. Good luck with your continued efforts.

Black Mamba

Thanks for your comments. Very tricky stuff ! I'm glad I don't make a living doing this. There would probably be many a hungry day.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    John...

I applaud you for even trying this stuff. I'm not motivated enough, I quess, to get into post processing at the level necessary to do these kind of things. There's only a given amount of time I'm willing to put in front of the computer. Keep up the good work.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited May 17, 2008
    Hey John,

I think we may have come down too hard on you; my apologies. You picked a rather difficult subject here: complicated, irregular shape to start with, spokes (aaack!), grass, transparent windscreen. Changing the background on this one would make a good assignment for a masters class in compositing. You did quite well for "time to kill." Despite its flaws, I think your composite is a lot more interesting than the original shot, so it was time well spent. thumb.gif Maybe next time you could choose an easier subject. :D

Regards,
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2008
    jsmiley wrote:
    I took this picture last week and decided that I would try to remove it from the background and place it only American flag.
    Not as easy as you would think at least not for me. C&C pleaseheadscratch.gif

Some people make this technique look a breeze to do,
    but for most of us it's a huge challenge to separate an image like that,
    and place it on a new background.

You get an "A" for effort in my book thumb.gif
    I see plenty of flaws in the image, especially around the bottom area of the image........ good try clap.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited May 17, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Hey John,

I think we may have come down too hard on you; my apologies. You picked a rather difficult subject here: complicated, irregular shape to start with, spokes (aaack!), grass, transparent windscreen. Changing the background on this one would make a good assignment for a masters class in compositing. You did quite well for "time to kill." Despite its flaws, I think your composite is a lot more interesting than the original shot, so it was time well spent. thumb.gif Maybe next time you could choose an easier subject. :D

Regards,

Richard

No apologies necessary, I come to the well of knowledge and experience for honest opinions. And that's what I got. I deeply appreciate your honest opinions.

No Time to kill to day the sun is shining bright!! (Many thanks)thumb.gif
    edited May 17, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Some people make this technique look a breeze to do,
    but for most of us it's a huge challenge to separate an image like that,
    and place it on a new background.

You get an "A" for effort in my book thumb.gif
    I see plenty of flaws in the image, especially around the bottom area of the image........ good try clap.gif ... Skippy :D

Thanks Skippy
    I think it was time well spent. The next time I will choose and easier subject. But I got some good feedback and some good information. Thanks for looking and commenting.thumb.gif