Advice On New Camera

MikeyMikey Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited May 20, 2008 in Cameras
First I want to say what a great forum and a wonderful friendly and helpful place for newbies. I am thinking of buying the new Nikon Coolpix P80. Would this be a good camera to start out with? or should I bite the bullet and buy the D60. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 16, 2008
    Mikey wrote:
    First I want to say what a great forum and a wonderful friendly and helpful place for newbies. I am thinking of buying the new Nikon Coolpix P80. Would this be a good camera to start out with? or should I bite the bullet and buy the D60. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Mike, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Before we can recommend a camera it would be nice to know a bit about what you expect from the camera.

What is your intended use?

Sports?
    Vista Landscape?
    Portraits?
    Groups?
    Events?
    Wildlife?
    etc.

The more descriptive and complete you are, the more we can help or at least offer opinion.

Also, what is your background in photography? For instance what cameras have you owned? What did you like?
    What did you dislike?

That should be enough to start a dialog.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • MikeyMikey Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Mike, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Before we can recommend a camera it would be nice to know a bit about what you expect from the camera.

What is your intended use?

Sports?
    Vista Landscape?
    Portraits?
    Groups?
    Events?
    Wildlife?
    etc.

The more descriptive and complete you are, the more we can help or at least offer opinion.

Also, what is your background in photography? For instance what cameras have you owned? What did you like?
    What did you dislike?

That should be enough to start a dialog.

Hi Ziggy and thanks for the reply,

Well mostly I will be shooting wildlife and landscapes. I live in Florida and there is such beautiful scenery from birds to flowers to landscapes. So, that is where I will mostly do most of my shooting. I will also us it for personal use for the family use as in parties and such. My background is just taking pictures of sunsets here in Florida and also of lighthouses. The cameras that I have used are from my Canon 35MM to a cheap Kodak digital and my friends very nice Nikon D80. I want something in between that I can learn on but also that will take great photos too. I hope I am not being to vague. If you need more information just ask and I will do my best to answer.

Thanks again Ziggy!

Mike
    edited May 16, 2008
    OK, let's start with the CoolPix P80. While it certainly "looks" like an SLR, and it has an amazing zoom ratio, the bottom line is it is still more of an advanced P&S.

Compared to say, the Canon G9, the P80 lacks advanced features like RAW capability and external flash.

Not to say that the P80 is a bad camera, because it's not, it's just that it's not a camera that you could use to experiment and use in preperation for a dSLR.

The major problem with any P&S or advanced digicam is in low-light performance. High ISO and competent low-light focus is still pretty much reserved for a true dSLR.

I personally would recommend against the current entry level Nikons, like the D60, D40 and D40x, because they require the use of AF-S lenses for autofocus. Until Nikon produces a more complete line of AF-S lenses, and especially some AF-S prime lenses, I feel that personal photographic growth is inhibited.

If you decide upon one of the Nikon bodies that has a focus motor I think you are much better served and that would be the D70/D70S (used), D50 (used), D80 and above (I think).

Canon has somewhat of an advantage in that all current EOS digital bodies should work with all current EOS capable autofocus lenses, even at the entry level bodies and lenses.

Pentax, Olympus, Sony and Panasonic (and others) I believe are also more autofocus capable at their entry level.

General responsiveness is also much improved in the dSLR versus digicams for a number of reasons.

The major problem with dSLRs is that they are really "systems" and to get some types of capabilities can require considerable extra investment.
    ziggy53
    edited May 19, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    OK, let's start with the CoolPix P80. While it certainly "looks" like an SLR, and it has an amazing zoom ratio, the bottom line is it is still more of an advanced P&S.

Compared to say, the Canon G9, the P80 lacks advanced features like RAW capability and external flash.

Not to say that the P80 is a bad camera, because it's not, it's just that it's not a camera that you could use to experiment and use in preperation for a dSLR.

The major problem with any P&S or advanced digicam is in low-light performance. High ISO and competent low-light focus is still pretty much reserved for a true dSLR.

I personally would recommend against the current entry level Nikons, like the D60, D40 and D40x, because they require the use of AF-S lenses for autofocus. Until Nikon produces a more complete line of AF-S lenses, and especially some AF-S prime lenses, I feel that personal photographic growth is inhibited.

If you decide upon one of the Nikon bodies that has a focus motor I think you are much better served and that would be the D70/D70S (used), D50 (used), D80 and above (I think).

Canon has somewhat of an advantage in that all current EOS digital bodies should work with all current EOS capable autofocus lenses, even at the entry level bodies and lenses.

Pentax, Olympus, Sony and Panasonic (and others) I believe are also more autofocus capable at their entry level.

General responsiveness is also much improved in the dSLR versus digicams for a number of reasons.

The major problem with dSLRs is that they are really "systems" and to get some types of capabilities can require considerable extra investment.

Well, thanks for all the advice. I ended up buying the Nikon P80 as I got a real nice deal on it at Best buy as it was on sale for $369.00 and I also had a 10% off coupon so I only $332.00 for a $400.00 camera and I know I will get alot of use out of it for what I want to do with it for a beginner. As I grow and get better I am sure I will graduate and get a better SLR digital camera as I have set my mind to becoming a good photographer. I will be uploading my photos to my account here so I hope I can get alot of feed back and so critique great people here. Again thanks for the help and advice.clap.gif
    edited May 19, 2008
    The Nikon P80 is a great camera and I look forward to seeing some of those beautiful Florida images.

Congratulation. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    edited May 19, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The Nikon P80 is a great camera and I look forward to seeing some of those beautiful Florida images.

Congratulation. clap.gif

Thank you. I took a few yesterday I will try and upload some tonight when I get home from work................ :D
    edited May 20, 2008
    Mikey wrote:
    Thank you. I took a few yesterday I will try and upload some tonight when I get home from work................ :D

Edit:

OK< now I need more advice, We just got our stimulus check from the federal government and it is $1500 and the wife has just informed this morning that we can spend it on a camera for me and she will take the Nikon that we just bought this past weekend. What I need to know now is, what kind of camera can I buy with kind of cash that is a good camera for the money? I mean a a good Digital SLR. :D
    edited May 20, 2008
    Mikey wrote:
    Edit:

OK< now I need more advice, We just got our stimulus check from the federal government and it is $1500 and the wife has just informed this morning that we can spend it on a camera for me and she will take the Nikon that we just bought this past weekend. What I need to know now is, what kind of camera can I buy with kind of cash that is a good camera for the money? I mean a a good Digital SLR. :D

When you talk about a "good Digital SLR", you are actually talking about a good system. Regardless of the manufacturer, a dSLR by its design is a very flexible part of a system. Unfortunately, these systems get very expensive the higher your quality standards.

If I had to start over and buy into a system today, I would start by exploring my own uses of previous cameras. Review what you have photographed, how you photographed and what you lacked (or really desired). The results of your review of yourself should help indicate any special considerations, which might indicate a particular system or camera.

Start with the most demanding of your wants and work back to your true needs.

For example,

Sports photography
    Extremely high quality vista landscapes
    Macro/micro photography
    Professional wedding photography
    Underwater photography
    etc.

... are all very specialized forms of photography and, for best results, tend to get very expensive quickly and probably beyond your budget.

If what you want are decent family event results and vacation memories, your budget can be accommodated easily.

The current "safe bets", as far as which manufacturer will be around for a long time, are Canon and Nikon. You really also need to consider Olympus, Pentax and Sony (Minolta). (Alphabetical order)

Do take a look at cameras in person if at all possible. Sometimes a particular function or feel will "jump out at you" and beg to be in your hands.

Do get opinion from friends and working professionals alike, but realize they are only opinions. In the end, it must be your decision. I do not recommend looking back once you make your decision, because the other manufacturers will continue to try to "entice" you with the latest features, many of which you may not need.

Do consider that all images start with the subject or scene, but that needs to have appropriate light. I strongly suggest that you include at very least a very good external electronic flash in your first purchase. Properly used, it can make more of a difference in the final results than either lens or camera.

Next should be the lenses. One lens alone will probably not be enough in a dSLR system. Indeed, if one lens were enough, you wouldn't need a dSLR at all. Look back at your usage and determine what type of lens you need according to what you shot in the past. We can help if you describe the conditions of the shoot and the desired results.

The camera body is the last major component and, unless you really need extremely fast responsiveness or extremely low light sensitivity, many bodies will do.

Do look back at my earlier comments about cameras and feel free to ask questions.
    ziggy53
    edited May 20, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    When you talk about a "good Digital SLR", you are actually talking about a good system. Regardless of the manufacturer, a dSLR by its design is a very flexible part of a system. Unfortunately, these systems get very expensive the higher your quality standards.

If I had to start over and buy into a system today, I would start by exploring my own uses of previous cameras. Review what you have photographed, how you photographed and what you lacked (or really desired). The results of your review of yourself should help indicate any special considerations, which might indicate a particular system or camera.

Start with the most demanding of your wants and work back to your true needs.

For example,

Sports photography
    Extremely high quality vista landscapes
    Macro/micro photography
    Professional wedding photography
    Underwater photography
    etc.

... are all very specialized forms of photography and, for best results, tend to get very expensive quickly and probably beyond your budget.

If what you want are decent family event results and vacation memories, your budget can be accommodated easily.

The current "safe bets", as far as which manufacturer will be around for a long time, are Canon and Nikon. You really also need to consider Olympus, Pentax and Sony (Minolta). (Alphabetical order)

Do take a look at cameras in person if at all possible. Sometimes a particular function or feel will "jump out at you" and beg to be in your hands.

Do get opinion from friends and working professionals alike, but realize they are only opinions. In the end, it must be your decision. I do not recommend looking back once you make your decision, because the other manufacturers will continue to try to "entice" you with the latest features, many of which you may not need.

Do consider that all images start with the subject or scene, but that needs to have appropriate light. I strongly suggest that you include at very least a very good external electronic flash in your first purchase. Properly used, it can make more of a difference in the final results than either lens or camera.

Next should be the lenses. One lens alone will probably not be enough in a dSLR system. Indeed, if one lens were enough, you wouldn't need a dSLR at all. Look back at your usage and determine what type of lens you need according to what you shot in the past. We can help if you describe the conditions of the shoot and the desired results.

The camera body is the last major component and, unless you really need extremely fast responsiveness or extremely low light sensitivity, many bodies will do.

Do look back at my earlier comments about cameras and feel free to ask questions.

Well, I have taken what you have said and mentioned above and looked at the Canon website and this is what I have had come up. Could you guys take a look at what I would like to purchase as my set up and give me some advice.

First my camera is going to purchase is the Canon EOS 40D with standard 28-135mm lens
    My Extra lens EF 28-200MM f/3.5-5.6 USM Zoom Lens
    Speedlite flash model 430EX
    Lowpro bag that I will get when I figure what size I need at the store when I buy all this.

I know I have $1500, so I am going to put extra money with and get this set up if you guys tell me this is good for the money. I think for what I have picked out, this will be a good starting point for me.

Thanks for everybody's input.

Mike
    edited May 20, 2008
    Mikey wrote:
    Well, I have taken what you have said and mentioned above and looked at the Canon website and this is what I have had come up. Could you guys take a look at what I would like to purchase as my set up and give me some advice.

First my camera is going to purchase is the Canon EOS 40D with standard 28-135mm lens
    My Extra lens EF 28-200MM f/3.5-5.6 USM Zoom Lens
    Speedlite flash model 430EX
    Lowpro bag that I will get when I figure what size I need at the store when I buy all this.

I know I have $1500, so I am going to put extra money with and get this set up if you guys tell me this is good for the money. I think for what I have picked out, this will be a good starting point for me.

Thanks for everybody's input.

Mike

Mike,

The Canon 40D is a great camera, but I suggest different lens choices.

Canon 40D - $940USD (after instant rebate)
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/518207-REG/Canon_1901B004_EOS_40D_SLR_Digital.html

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm, f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] - $420
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/423714-REG/Tamron_AF016C700_17_50mm_f_2_8_XR_Di.html

Canon EF 70-200mm, f/4.0L USM - $560 (after instant rebate)
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/183198-USA/Canon_2578A002_70_200mm_f_4_0L_USM_Autofocus.html

Not so much more than your list, this gives you extended range from 17-200mm with only a minor gap between. These are both lenses capable of professional quality results, and very good performance wide open.

If you want to save money, get the:

Canon EF-S 55-250mm, f/4-5.6 IS - $280
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/543923-USA/Canon_2044B002_EF_S_55_250mm_f_4_5_6_IS.html

While this is a consumer lens, it will match your needs pretty well and is getting pretty good reviews.

These lenses, along with the Canon 430EX flash, should give you a very good start into the dSLR world.
    ziggy53
    edited May 20, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Mike,

The Canon 40D is a great camera, but I suggest different lens choices.

Canon 40D - $940USD (after instant rebate)
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/518207-REG/Canon_1901B004_EOS_40D_SLR_Digital.html

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm, f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] - $420
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/423714-REG/Tamron_AF016C700_17_50mm_f_2_8_XR_Di.html

Canon EF 70-200mm, f/4.0L USM - $560 (after instant rebate)
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/183198-USA/Canon_2578A002_70_200mm_f_4_0L_USM_Autofocus.html

Not so much more than your list, this gives you extended range from 17-200mm with only a minor gap between. These are both lenses capable of professional quality results, and very good performance wide open.

If you want to save money, get the:

Canon EF-S 55-250mm, f/4-5.6 IS - $280
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/543923-USA/Canon_2044B002_EF_S_55_250mm_f_4_5_6_IS.html

While this is a consumer lens, it will match your needs pretty well and is getting pretty good reviews.

These lenses, along with the Canon 430EX flash, should give you a very good start into the dSLR world.

Thanhs for the input Ziggy, I will check into the lens's tonight and make a decision before this weekend so I can go out and make the purchase.

I can not wait to get my hands on this camera.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    The biggest thing about buying an SLR is liking the feel of the camera. Another camera, you might want to check out is the Nikon D80. It's the same sensor as the d60 you were looking at earlier but it will take all autofocus Nikon mount lenses. Additionally, for now, you can get them for around $700deal.gif