Options

Multi photo layering help

Andrea H.Andrea H. Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited May 16, 2008 in Finishing School
I'm participating in a 365 photo project (of myself) and I need some help! I took a series of shots today all with a tripod and now I want to layer them all together, but to keep some of each photo (which is me in different areas of the room) and flatten so it looks like there are 6 of me in the one photo.

I know I've seen this done in several places, but I cannot figure out how to do it. Can anyone send me to a tutorial or give me a quick rundown?

I hope I explained that well enough. It's Friday and my brain is fried.
Canon 40D & Canon Rebel XT
[canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5] [canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6]
[canon 35L] [canon 50 f/1.8]
[canon 75-300 f/4-5.6] [canon 430ex]
[various - hoods, CFcards, diffuser]

Comments

• Options
    BigmitchBigmitch Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    The simplest way to do it Andrea is to select each pic in the series and drag it onto the first pic whilst holding Shift so they all line up correctly.

Then for every layer above the original you need to add a mask to it and hide the sections of each pic you dont need.

Once you have finished you can then flatten the image.

I take it you shot in manual mode? If the camera tries to focus on you in each image and you are in different parts of the room it might affect the area in focus on each pic-depending at what aperture you shot of course.

Hope that helps
  • Options
    Andrea H.Andrea H. Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Thanks Mitch. You're the only one out of both my photography boards to take a stab at answering!

I did end up finding a tutorial on it! It was waaaay simpler than I remember. I did what you said, by layering them, and then just erasing the area that I wanted to bring through from the back.

Thanks for the help!

The final product was:

296261036_NtvSy-M.jpg
    Canon 40D & Canon Rebel XT
    [canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5] [canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6]
    [canon 35L] [canon 50 f/1.8]
    [canon 75-300 f/4-5.6] [canon 430ex]
    [various - hoods, CFcards, diffuser]
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Really nice product! I am glad you figured it out!

(that is my life too! Picking up after my darling muchkins! Now if I could just get my 5 year old to stop putting the dog food in the water dish! Laughing.gif)