Options

Bride...slightly dramatic

ShannonHeatShannonHeat Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited May 20, 2008 in Weddings
Hi all,
I took this one of a bride last month. C/C is most welcome. The sky was so dull, so I "added" a sky in c2. I thougt it looked a bit dramatic, so I thought I'd share. Have a nice weekend!
IMG_0382D.jpg?imgmax=512

Here's the original:
IMG_0382.JPG?imgmax=512
Shannon :D
Canon Digital Rebel XTI, 430ex, sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro, a crummy kit lens, 4gb cf, and tons of batteries.
www.heatonphotography.net
http://picasaweb.google.com/heatonphotography
www.myspace.com/heatonphotography

Comments

• Options
    dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Very nice shot. You improved the original a lot by fixing the sky thumb.gif

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Yup...it is dramatic, and your processing helped a ton. You say your kit lens is crummy? I agree that it needs some light to get you in range of it's sweet spot, but I wonder how much more dramatic this shot could have been using the 18mm end of the kit lens and a slightly lower vantage point. They used to run a "kit lens challenge" on dpreviewdotcom and I saw some really fabulous posts taken with the kit lens on rebel series cameras. If you have enough light to shoot at around F8 it can do wonders.

Thanks for sharing a gorgeous photograph...before and after!!thumb.gif
  • Options
    ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2008
    I agree the sky looks better in the processed one but I prefer the original because the bride looks softer and more natural. She seems to be "glowing" or something in the processed picture and somewhat out of place. Either way the photo and setting is very nice. Good job!
    LadyTX
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2008
    both versions are nice. good eye to see this shot. I prefer the PS-ed one, but both are nice.
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2008
    Thanks guys. I did bump up the exposure a little on the processed pic (could be the glow). I thought it worked though. I appreciate the input.....I had never manipulated a sky before, so it was pretty fun for me to play with it.:D
    Canon Digital Rebel XTI, 430ex, sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro, a crummy kit lens, 4gb cf, and tons of batteries.
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    Lovely
    That photo is competition material. One thing that could bump it up a notch is a bit of straightening. It's got a bit of distortion being shot on the wide end - an easy fix to make straight.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    LCDLCD Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    Hi,

The replacement sky is more dramatic, but I think that it takes away from the bride.

Have you considered cropping off some of the top? I think it stegthens your leading line and really places more focus on the bride - and of course less on the sky. And moves the subject out of dead center.

Nice work!
    Lisa
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    Hi there. Love what you did!! iloveyou.gif ... just one thought: The veil on the right, (right next to her head) .... try putting some sky in there too. Looks like you cropped around the veil, but since it's semi translucent, I would put some sky in the "background", so that the bright spot on the right doesn't look too fake ....

iloveyou.gif Love it!
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2008
    Thanks y'all! I'll take some of your tips and put them to work. I'm glad you like this photo...it's one of my favorites.mwink.gif