Options

Im really stuck with CS3's moving tool

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited May 18, 2008 in Finishing School
Guys im doing the old 'expose from RAW the same photo & then lay them on top of each other trick & remove the mask or what ever is the correct term'

My issue is that i have both the photos open...i select V & the tool shows that its open up the top...i hold down shift & drag one image on top of the other but thats it...they wont auto align :scratch

Im following a book to the letter but its just not working for me. Any ideas please for another way to get CS3 to precisely overlay the 2 photos ?

Mac BTW. The 'background' is showing locked however the example in the book is also...if i need to unlock this, how do i do it ?

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited May 17, 2008
    I ususally just drag the background layer from the layer pallete of the first image on top of the open second image. That creates a second layer and aligns the two. Just make sure that all channels are selected first. That would usually be the case unless you were mucking with them.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,830 moderator
    edited May 17, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Guys im doing the old 'expose from RAW the same photo & then lay them on top of each other trick & remove the mask or what ever is the correct term'

My issue is that i have both the photos open...i select V & the tool shows that its open up the top...i hold down shift & drag one image on top of the other but thats it...they wont auto align headscratch.gif

Im following a book to the letter but its just not working for me. Any ideas please for another way to get CS3 to precisely overlay the 2 photos ?

Mac BTW. The 'background' is showing locked however the example in the book is also...if i need to unlock this, how do i do it ?

When I have 2 images and I want to overlay one onto the other, I use:

(First image)
    Select, All
    Edit, Copy

(Second image)
    Edit, Paste

As long as the images are exactly the same size they will now be composited and the first image will be on top. Feel free to use keyboard shortcuts.

You may want to change transparency on the top image to reveal the lower image, depending on what else you plan to do.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2008
    Tks guys...i will give your methods a try & let you know how i go. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2008
    Im cool...sorry richard but ziggys method gets the beer for dummys.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2008
    Glad you already found a solution Gus. The following is just as an FYI:

When you select all then copy. You are using memory on your computer since the entire image is added to your "clipboard"

When you drag one image onto another. No data is stored in your clipboard and memory can be used for more useful things.

I can go into more detail if you want. But I don't think you really care (in a good way).

This is only something to remember if your machine seems to be running slow.

Best.
    -Jon