eregistereregister Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited May 18, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I shoot a lot of horse shows and would like to create the following:
catagory - Horse Shows
Sub-cat - Name of the show with Date
Gallery - Class 1 of that show
Gallery - Class 2 of that show
Gallery - Class 44 of that show

Creating the Catogroy and sub-catagories is no problem but now I'd like to do the following...

The shows have 40-50 classes and I would like to know if there is a way I can run a script or .csv file or something that will create all my galleries for a given show without me having to manually go in and create them.

Thanks,
Ed

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2008
    eregister wrote:
    I shoot a lot of horse shows and would like to create the following:
    catagory - Horse Shows
    Sub-cat - Name of the show with Date
    Gallery - Class 1 of that show
    Gallery - Class 2 of that show
    Gallery - Class 44 of that show

Creating the Catogroy and sub-catagories is no problem but now I'd like to do the following...

The shows have 40-50 classes and I would like to know if there is a way I can run a script or .csv file or something that will create all my galleries for a given show without me having to manually go in and create them.

Thanks,
    Ed

Smugmug has an API. There are some script libraries that make it fairly easy to use that API. Off the top of my head, I remember that there's a python library and probably a perl library. Google would probably find them. You, of course, will have to do some programming to use this.

A slightly less automated option, but a lot easier than manually creating them all in Smugmug's web interface, is to use a program like StarExplorer that lets you create a whole bunch of galleries at once all with the same settings. I use this when creating galleries for each scene in a school talent show (30-40 galleries). It gives you an edit box and you just type each gallery name, one name per line and hit go and it creates all the galleries in a minute or so. Star Explorer costs money (basic edition is $14.99), but I find it worth it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • eregistereregister Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 18, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Smugmug has an API. There are some script libraries that make it fairly easy to use that API. Off the top of my head, I remember that there's a python library and probably a perl library. Google would probably find them. You, of course, will have to do some programming to use this.

A slightly less automated option, but a lot easier than manually creating them all in Smugmug's web interface, is to use a program like StarExplorer that lets you create a whole bunch of galleries at once all with the same settings. I use this when creating galleries for each scene in a school talent show (30-40 galleries). It gives you an edit box and you just type each gallery name, one name per line and hit go and it creates all the galleries in a minute or so. Star Explorer costs money (basic edition is $14.99), but I find it worth it.

Thanks for the help this looks like exactly what I am looking for!