Options

Frames/Mattes for 13x19" prints?

tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
edited May 9, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
I wonder if anyone has found a good source of stock frames with mattes for the 19x13 inch prints produced by the Canon i9900. I have found some sites with stock 24x20 frames, but this produces a matte that is narrower at the top & bottom than it is side to side for a horizontal print. Stock precut mattes would be great also. TIA.
Thomas :D

TML Photography
tmlphoto.com

Comments

• Options
    T.D.AlexanderT.D.Alexander Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited April 8, 2005
    tmlphoto wrote:
    I wonder if anyone has found a good source of stock frames with mattes for the 19x13 inch prints produced by the Canon i9900. I have found some sites with stock 24x20 frames, but this produces a matte that is narrower at the top & bottom than it is side to side for a horizontal print. Stock precut mattes would be great also. TIA.

Redimat will do custom cuts for you if they don't already stock that size. If you're ordering more than 20 I think they waive the setup fee for the cut. Try:

www.redimat.com

-Tim
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2005
    I moved your thread to the digital darkroom, since accessories is more for camera related accs.

I have a friend that orders all his frames from http://www.americanframe.com/
    for standard metal frames.

What type of frames are you looking for?
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    I moved your thread to the digital darkroom, since accessories is more for camera related accs.

I have a friend that orders all his frames from http://www.americanframe.com/
    for standard metal frames.

What type of frames are you looking for?
    Thanks. I wasn't sure where to post this. I'm mostly interested in wood frames. Right now I'm interested in black frames with white mattes for some b&w prints. I have found some sources for custom frames & mattes, but stock items are always cheaper.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Here are a few stites I have looked at and kept for future reference. I did place one order with Frame Destination and thought the quality, and service was good.

Good luck,

Sam

Frame Destination Home

Art Supplies from Dick Blick Art Materials

Picture Frames, Mat Board, Framing Supplies, Prints and Posters - American Fra

Light Impressions Direct
    Museum Quality Archival Mats, Frames & Mounting Supplies. - IconUSA
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    i've bought from frame destination. they are good, basic frames.. premade, and ready to go for 13 x 19 prints - i recently bought a dozen of them, for an office job. they're quite nice. remember - for ~ $50, it's tough to beat - they are wood frames, white mattes, and plexiglass.

good value for the $$
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    I buy mine from here http://www.pfile.com/cgi/cart.cgi?db=stuff.dat&search=JBW1319+Frame&method=phrase 13X19 for $13.95, wood frames with glass

Ed
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2005
    ehughes wrote:
    I buy mine from here http://www.pfile.com/cgi/cart.cgi?db=stuff.dat&search=JBW1319+Frame&method=phrase 13X19 for $13.95, wood frames with glass

Ed
    Thanks for the links guys. I'll check them out.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    Steve1Steve1 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 3, 2008
    You might want to try www.CustomFrameSolutions.com. Their prices are near wholesale and all their mouldings are solid wood.
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    I've always been happy with framesbymail.com. They're usually around $40 to $50 for a 12 7/8 x 18 7/8 opening, w/ 2" reveal matte on all sides, foam core for the back, plexi on the front, and a nice steal or wood frame with a simple style in black. Plus they have a ton of options for frames and mattes. I've done a few big/fancy frames from them too, for wedding photos and such, in the $75-$100 range... folks have commented that the frames look like they cost 10x that.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    KDunlapKDunlap Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    Some frame shops cut windows for $2
    cabbey wrote:
    I've always been happy with framesbymail.com. They're usually around $40 to $50 for a 12 7/8 x 18 7/8 opening, w/ 2" reveal matte on all sides, foam core for the back, plexi on the front, and a nice steal or wood frame with a simple style in black. Plus they have a ton of options for frames and mattes. I've done a few big/fancy frames from them too, for wedding photos and such, in the $75-$100 range... folks have commented that the frames look like they cost 10x that.

I don't know how much DIY you're interested in (or have time for really) but in Ann Arbor (MI) there is a framing shop that will take your mats and cut the windows for you for $2 each. Many of our local photogs take their mats there- you might try looking around in your city to see if someone offers a similar service. People who do that order their mats in bulk. You can save quite a bit of money doing it that way, but since time is money if you simply don't have the time but do have a little more money buying them all precut might be a better way to go.

Believe it or not Ritz Camera shops carry very nice quality wood frames w/ glass in 18x24, which are perfect for 13x19 images- they run $15-$18. I also occasionally buy frames from Joann Etc (if Ritz is out) using their frequent 50% coupons, making the 18x24 size $20. Joann is not just for ladies guys- besides the frames they have a wide selection of smaller standard sized mats.

I wish someone would bring the standards up to date with digital sizing...hopefully someday we'll get there. :)

Kristi
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    I bought 8 11x17" frames, matte, etc., from here:

http://www.framedestination.com/Default.aspx

And was very happy. I'll be buying more soon.

I went with the Al frames and they're very nice.
  • Options
    fdifdi Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    ehughes wrote:

Ed

I contacted the import company that supplies the frames to pfile and got samples which I let my local customers view before I started selling them. It would have been easy to match pfile's price, and I would make more money than I currently do on our 13x19 frame. Unfortunetly, the feedback I got caused me to decide not to carry it and just sell our metal one even though it is more expensive:
    http://www.framedestination.com/Ready_Made/FDI_13x19_Picture_Frame_Black/item/rffdix00000000515000/

Cheers,
    Mark
    Picture Frames Destination, Inc.
    Facebook
    My Picture Framing Blog
    Rebel T2i, 100mm/2.8, 28-105mm
    100-300mm, 17-35mm