Out in the Yard.

eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
edited May 21, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Following my late fathers' passion, I shot this from the Pepper Street bridge in Colton. On the other side of the bridge was a derailment; six automobile carriers, luckily empty, on their sides, and some damaged track. Unfortunately, it was too far away to get any decent shots and the sun was behind it. So, I present . . .
Out in the Yard.
Out-in-the-Yard.jpg
C&C appreciated.
Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
"Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2008
    Great shot, Lee. We have two large intermodal yards here, but very hard to get images of. Little access and I don't want to take chances. This shot will show you some of what I have to contend with. A road with a great overlook but too many Trees! This image is a tight shot through one of the few gaps!

Keep shooting them! thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2008
    Wow, Don! That sure is some cramped shooting quarters. Makes for some very busy images. Makes me really appreciate the wide open spaces of the California desert. It's also why I want to replace the old '67 Chrysler and get something like an XTerra. Better off-road abilities and much better gas mileage.

A friend and I drove through Victorville, Barstow and then to Yermo, shooting trains all the way out and back. I shot this one later the same morning.
    Burlington Northern and Santa Fe in the Cajon pass.
    BNSF-curve.jpg
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited May 18, 2008
    And this one in Barstow.
    BNSF 4164
    BNSF-4164.jpg

C&C welcome on all images.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2008
    My Fave is the first for the lines of the tracks and the ess curve of the approaching train. clap.gifclap

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2008
    Hi Lee...

Good train pictures. I like the first best, but all are nicely done.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Following my late fathers' passion, I shot this from the Pepper Street bridge in Colton. On the other side of the bridge was a derailment; six automobile carriers, luckily empty, on their sides, and some damaged track. Unfortunately, it was too far away to get any decent shots and the sun was behind it. So, I present . . .
    Out in the Yard.

C&C appreciated.

Hi Lee, your passion for trains is shared by many many folks.
    The old Steam Trains are my favourites, we don't have electric ones down my way, they have them around Melbourne.

I enjoy going to Melbourne on the Train, haven't done it for a long time.

Your train shots are really cool clap.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    All really nice photos Lee. thumb.gif I like the one in Cajon pass most with the heat
    waves coming off the engines.
    Its also nice to see how well maintained the track right of way appears to be.
    :D Michael
    Michael
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    Lee,

Just so you know I am keeping tabs on ya!!!rolleyes1.gif

...and these have a nice rich black point!!thumb.gif
    edited May 20, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Lee,

Just so you know I am keeping tabs on ya!!!rolleyes1.gif

...and these have a nice rich black point!!thumb.gif

YAYYHH!! rolleyes1.gif

Thank you, Jeff! I guess I just needed a little push in the right direction. :)
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

edited May 20, 2008
    Thank you, everyone, for your kind words. And Daddyo, you should have felt those heat waves! I had plenty of opportunity while up on those bridges, especially at Pepper Street! lol
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Thank you, everyone, for your kind words. And Daddyo, you should have felt those heat waves! I had plenty of opportunity while up on those bridges, especially at Pepper Street! lol

Did they blow up your skirt. :D Sorry couldn't help it. rolleyes1.gifSo prime.
    Spank me if need be. mwink.gif or maybe :whipMaybe your thinking other less kind. Gads!

I am for certain you fellows had a great time catching the right locations all
    along your route. And knowing them in advance. So ready for the shot opportunity.

Theres a nice rail line on I 84 from Boise to Portland that runs a lot of train
    traffic. Grabbed a couple while passenger. Nothing interesting to share.
    Though I did think about laying in wait at certain spots. Rail times
    must be posted somewheres online. Haven't checked into it just yet.
    Mostly those point opportunities where in Oregon.

Our next route end of June takes us through SE to SW Oregon to Redding,
    CA. & Onto Redwood Forest N. CA.

Looking to see what happens. I really need to look into planning.

Michael
    Michael
    edited May 21, 2008
    DaddyO wrote:
    Did they blow up your skirt. :D Sorry couldn't help it. rolleyes1.gifSo prime.
    Spank me if need be. mwink.gif or maybe :whipMaybe your thinking other less kind. Gads!

I am for certain you fellows had a great time catching the right locations all
    along your route. And knowing them in advance. So ready for the shot opportunity.

Theres a nice rail line on I 84 from Boise to Portland that runs a lot of train
    traffic. Grabbed a couple while passenger. Nothing interesting to share.
    Though I did think about laying in wait at certain spots. Rail times
    must be posted somewheres online. Haven't checked into it just yet.
    Mostly those point opportunities where in Oregon.

Our next route end of June takes us through SE to SW Oregon to Redding,
    CA. & Onto Redwood Forest N. CA.

Looking to see what happens. I really need to look into planning.

Michael

Were I a Scottsman, I'd have a witty remark for you. rolleyes1.gif

You can always call the railroad and have them send you their schedules. For passenger trains, I mean. For freight, it helps to have a friend like Bob. Bob can spot a train a mile . . . make that TEN miles away! We were driving to Vegas, once, on I-15, and he said there was a train coming. FIVE MINUTES LATER, I finally saw it. We were going about seventy at the time, AT NIGHT! Oh yeah, that was after we actually got onto the freeway: the first half of the trip was made on railroad access roads!

So, my advice: Take a railfan with you! rolleyes1.gif

Then show us the pictures. :)
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook