FD Mount and Nikon

PhoenixSFPhoenixSF Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited May 19, 2008 in Cameras
Hey,

Pretty new to asking questions. Really don't like to since I think this may be stupid. I have found that there are FD Mount Adapters for New Nikons. I have been using a Canon T50 and T70 for a while. But I recently went to digital, because it cost less to get my pictures in the long run. I have a Nikon D40. I own a 24mm, 18-55mm, 100mm, and 300mm. They are all FD Lenses, I would like to use them and I see that there is a mount adapter for them. Anybody ever use one before, or know if its worth the buy. Or should I go for a newer lens. I'm just worried if I buy one, are they safe? Are they made to last? Pros? Cons? Thanks!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 18, 2008
    I am not familiar with an adapter which allows Canon FD mount lenses to be used on Nikon dSLR bodies.

Where did you find such an adapter?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • PhoenixSFPhoenixSF Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited May 18, 2008
    I dont know how exactly they do it but you can take it to certain camera shops and they can convert the lens. I have no clue how they do it, but is it worth it or are new lenses just better to look towards?

I've heard they just add the Nikon mount to the canon lens. I have really no clue about it just yet. I heard it can get somewhat pricey
    edited May 19, 2008
    Thanks for the reply. Since I'm new to the digital cameras, I really don't know what lens to get next. I have the 18-55mm lens, that came with the camera. Now I want a bigger one, with a bigger zoom, but I also want one where I can fade the background out and focus on one object.

3198-R1-19-6.jpg

I want to get something like that. I took this picture with my FD lenses on my Canon. But I dont know what to get as a digital. I have no clue about what type of lens or anything. Any help would be great.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 19, 2008
    PhoenixSF wrote:
    I dont know how exactly they do it but you can take it to certain camera shops and they can convert the lens. I have no clue how they do it, but is it worth it or are new lenses just better to look towards?

I've heard they just add the Nikon mount to the canon lens. I have really no clue about it just yet. I heard it can get somewhat pricey

Without knowing either the process or the costs, how could anyone offer advice?

If you have the contact information for one of these shops (that does the conversion), I'd be happy to explore further.

Apparently "SK Grimes" will still do it on an individual basis and it costs many hundreds of dollars. Unless you had one of the longer SSC or "L" series lenses, I doubt that it would be worth it.

Assuming you had it done, you would be dealing with a manual focus lens (although you might have focus confirmation) with no exposure information from the camera, so manual exposure and an external meter for sure.

Not something I would recommend for casual use.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited May 19, 2008
    I'm actually headed to the camera shop. To find out the prices, I think Im going to just buy new lenses. It seems it will be worth it in the long run. I haven't checked the prices, just the location. When I was first looking I made a mistake and thought I saw a Canon FD Lens Mount to Nikon Body, but I was wrong. Now I have been searching for who changes the lenses, but I hear it can cost alot, or they just dont tell you a price.