opinions needed .. PLEASE !

Blondn6ftBlondn6ft Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited May 20, 2008 in Cameras
First ... hello ... I am a newbie poster, fairly long time lurker!

I currently shoot with a Konica Minolta 7D ... I love it, but realize the fact that it is discontinued and now out of its extended warranty (as of 04/08) that I may be on borrowed time. I have had issues with the camera in the past and sent it in under warranty to have it repaired ... I won't have that option anymore. They, for obvious reasons, would not offer another extended warranty.

What do I shoot ??? I know this will be the next question ... the answer, a bit of everyting. Take a look at my site www.robinsbirdseyeview.com

The hubby suggested that I look into getting at least another new camera body and kit lens ... something that will be able to move forward that I can continue to build on. This way I can learn a new baby while the other is still kickin' just fine.

I want to buy other lenses and such but think I might be foolish doing so for the KM.

What camera(s) would you suggest I look into ?? :dunno

Money is not freeflowing but ... if it is the right fit, a little overtime at work can cover the cost pretty quick.

SO ... inputs ???

Anyone ???

Beuller ??? :rofl

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 18, 2008
    Sony does seem fully committed to moving forward with its dSLR line of cameras and lenses. If you have several lenses worth keeping the new bodies look interesting.

I'm afraid you really need to be more specific than "a bit of everyting" in describing what you shoot. Please do describe your needs in the following areas:

Sports?
    Vista Landscape?
    Portraits?
    Groups?
    Events?
    Wildlife?
    etc.

What are your shooting habits regarding low-light and high-ISO situations?

The more complete your answers, the more complete will be the responses.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2008
    Blondn6ft wrote:

I currently shoot with a Konica Minolta 7D
    I want to buy other lenses and such but think I might be foolish doing so for the KM.

What camera(s) would you suggest I look into ?? ne_nau.gif

Money is not freeflowing but ... if it is the right fit, a little overtime at work can cover the cost pretty quick.

SO ... inputs ???

Anyone ???

Beuller ??? rolleyes1.gif

As a another KM7D user ( I have 2).....I must also add to ZIGGY53s' questions about what you shoot.......with.......

What lenses do you currently own?
    Did you send your camera in to Minolta or Sony and were you happy with the service provided?

As a 7D owner I would suggest you miove into an A100 or A200 but you might want to consider an A700 and if your lenses (like mine) can be used on a full frame body then after some time with the A700 you might consider the soon to come out Sony full frame...........

Remember also that only Sony, Oly and Pentax have bodies with a built in stabilizer........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Blondn6ftBlondn6ft Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Sony does seem fully committed to moving forward with its dSLR line of cameras and lenses. If you have several lenses worth keeping the new bodies look interesting.

I have three lenses (at work now and can't remember, will post that later)

I'm afraid you really need to be more specific than "a bit of everyting" in describing what you shoot. Please do describe your needs in the following areas:

Sports? the niece and nephew / nothing Pro
    Vista Landscape? yes / tropical mostly
    Portraits? working in to this area now (outdoor not indoor)
    Groups? if it is a family situation / probably
    Events? concerts / any chance I get
    Wildlife? yes / no safari like stuff, just local fawna etc ...
    etc.

What are your shooting habits regarding low-light and high-ISO situations?

Low light with concerts / I try to stay clear of the high ISO but have used 800, found that using the right lens and being close has kept me from using high ISOs

The more complete your answers, the more complete will be the responses.

Thanks and I understand why I should try to give more info ... looking at the info regarding the Canon 40D and the rebate ... hmmm ...
    edited May 18, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    As a another KM7D user ( I have 2).....I must also add to ZIGGY53s' questions about what you shoot.......with.......

What lenses do you currently own? have to post that when I get home ... the brain doesn't function as well here ... (inside a jail) there are 3 ... ugh ... brainfart! headscratch.gif
    Did you send your camera in to Minolta or Sony and were you happy with the service provided? Minolta ... service was good ... couldn't answer one of my questions, and haven't had the issue since (shooting in high humidity, the camera would stop functioning)

As a 7D owner I would suggest you miove into an A100 or A200 but you might want to consider an A700 and if your lenses (like mine) can be used on a full frame body then after some time with the A700 you might consider the soon to come out Sony full frame...........

Remember also that only Sony, Oly and Pentax have bodies with a built in stabilizer........

Thanks ... I really hadn't thought about Sony at all ... don't know why, just hadn't thought about "staying" with them
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2008
    Even if you decide to go PRO you can stay with Sony and feel comfortable if your shooting weddings and portraits and fine art .....if you want to hit amin stream sports and wildlife shooting for someone in particular the nyou might have to jump to one of the big 2 but that may not even be true if one really owns their craft with the equipment they currently use.......

Also there are tons of older minolta glass out there to be had.....as my siggy shows I only shoot with Sigma at this time and that is because I have always had great success with them.....I also only use CF cards ......but which ever way you go try to go for the best camera that you want.....do not leave room for wishing you had better or more features........

I am making due until I can afford that 35MP back to go on my Kiev 88.....that would just make my life fantastic to be shooting tomorrow with a 2 1/4 sq full frame digital.....I already have some great lenses......but until then it is 35mm DSLRs for me also................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited May 19, 2008
    ok ... toddling off to bed but here are the lenses that I have that work with the KM 7D mentioned above :

Konica/Minolta AF DT 18-200mm 3.5-6.3
    Sigma DT 17 - 70mm 2.8-4.5
    Sigma 50mm 2.8

Hope this helps to get some opinions, thoughts, or inputs rolling in ...

Thanks in advance ~
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    If you are happy with the lenses you have, then it may be worth sticking with Sony alpha camera.

If you are thinking about a new system with new lenses to build up, I'd say either a Canon or Nikon may be a better option right now, although I agree that Sony seems very serious about building their systme.

As for the Canon 40D, I think it'll be a great body at a great price with the rebate now. If you don't mind selling the lenses, I think it's not a bad idea at all.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    Blondn6ft wrote:

I currently shoot with a Konica Minolta 7D ... I love it, but realize the fact that it is discontinued and now out of its extended warranty (as of 04/08) that I may be on borrowed time. I have had issues with the camera in the past and sent it in under warranty to have it repaired ... I won't have that option anymore. They, for obvious reasons, would not offer another extended warranty.

My first thought is "So?" Next is what sort of issues? Have they recurred since the repairs, how long ago, how serious.

I still shoot with a 20D--also long discontinued and out of warranty. I have happily never had an issues with it, and partly because of that, I have no qualms with using it until it dies--which would most likely be a failed shutter & a couple hundred dollar repair to get it going again for a long time.

Anyway my point is just because it's an older model doesn't make it useless all of a sudden. Recall that the film bodies we used to use lasted for years & years, and we didn't really think or worry about it except maybe for the pros.
    edited May 19, 2008
    Chris ... I get what you are saying.

One of the issues I had with the camera is that fact that it refused to shoot in any humid weather ... just locked up ... stopped ... shut down ... nothing, until I was back in a controlled (in the hotel room, in a car with air conditioning or back on the ship)

I sent it into KM and they "cleaned the camera " sent it back. They were unable to reproduce the symptoms I had ...

This happened twice while on trips to Antigua and Puerto Rico. I was in those places again this last December, but (stupid for not trying to take a few shots) I didn't use the camera, did more diving on this trip and didn't want the camera getting wet, going overboard, etc ... SO I don't know if the issue MIGHT arrise again. Truth be told ... I also didn't want the heartache if the camera DID fail again.

Don't get me wrong ... I love the KM 7D, and for the most part it has served and continues to serve me well ... but as I continue to progress and do more, I am trying to determine if I should keep buying lenses that will work with the KM OR keep using what I have (the KM and 3 lenses) and build an additional arsenal (if you will) with a product like Canon or Nikon that is a constant and moving forward.

My thought being that if I continue to invest in the KM and it POOPS OUT ... I have a camera that can not be repaired or replaced (they have already advised that to me at SONY customer service) and lenses that will be ... useless or maybe can be sold on EBAY ...

Didn't know if people here thought go SONY ... do they have a strong future in this industry or switch to a staple like Canon or Nikon.

Does that make sense ?? Boy I can ramble huh ! ?? eek7.gif
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    It's tough to see how Sony will go with dslr's. Looks like they are investing into the system as they are making a pro grade full frame dslr and introducing more lenses and bodies.

If you want a sure thing in terms of development, Nikon and Canon are as close to a sure thing as you can go.

I remember when Sony went into the Palm Pilot PDA's and then dumped the market a few years ago and seeing as they are a very large corp. with many different products, it may not be as big of a deal to dump the dslr's but it certainly doesn't look like it from the way they'be been going so far.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    I'm not much of a Sony fan myself. While it's nice that they have continued KM's products so far, they can kill them off just as quickly. Their game machine is about the only Sony product I have any interest in any more.

With the nature of the problems with that body, I can understand the hesitation with continuing in that product line. I'd be tempted to switch lines myself in that case.

All I can say is in similar environments (I believe--I'm thinking of a trip to Jamaica) the 20D has run nearly flawlessly. It's also survived outings where temperatures were over 110 deg. and trips to the mountains in the snow (it did get a bit wet there). Any time it's acted up, it's always been resolved in the field, worst case has been remounting the lens & "rebooting" (i.e., turn off, pop out the batteries, reinsert batteries & turn back on). I think the worst issue I've ever had was one dance shoot where the rental 70-200/2.8 IS kept freaking out on me & after a few remounts & just shut off both IS and AF and ran it manually--that I blame completely on the lens.