Havasu Falls

argyleargyle Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
edited May 30, 2008 in Landscapes
Spent four days recently hiking through Havasu Canyon and shooting the numerous falls. This first image is from the lower section of Havasu Falls. And yes, the water is actually that color (no PS manipulation whatsoever). Debating on cropping the sky or leaving it in...any thoughts either way?

297304375_Kkycz-X2.jpg
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

Comments

• JavaLoverJavaLover Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2008
    Very nice shot. thumb.gif

I have to scroll to see the whole shot, so maybe two photos in one? Or a great large print. Very nice...
    Canon 40D, stock lens and now a Canon 55mm-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
    tfarley.smugmug.com
  • argyleargyle Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2008
    JavaLover wrote:
    Very nice shot. thumb.gif

I have to scroll to see the whole shot, so maybe two photos in one? Or a great large print. Very nice...

No...just a single exposure shot with the 5D.
  • jsmileyjsmiley Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2008
    argyle wrote:
    Spent four days recently hiking through Havasu Canyon and shooting the numerous falls. This first image is from the lower section of Havasu Falls. And yes, the water is actually that color (no PS manipulation whatsoever). Debating on cropping the sky or leaving it in...any thoughts either way?

297304375_Kkycz-X2.jpg

Niceeeeeeee!!!! And leave the sky inthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    Ohh crap, i thought that was two photos at first, then realized it was one. Damn... is that a heated spring by chance?
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    That is a wonderful shot! I think the sky could be cropped without affecting the composition of the photo too much. In fact, perhaps doing so will eliminate the element of the mountain, which is not as important to ths hot as the lines of all the different little waterfalls.

What an amazing place. And the light is soft and the colors are bright. Great work. thumb.gif
    edited May 19, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    That is a wonderful shot! I think the sky could be cropped without affecting the composition of the photo too much. In fact, perhaps doing so will eliminate the element of the mountain, which is not as important to ths hot as the lines of all the different little waterfalls.

What an amazing place. And the light is soft and the colors are bright. Great work. thumb.gif

Thanks...I'll probably do a bit of re-work this evening and crop the sky for a comparison of the two. Wasn't sure which way to go at first, so I left it in during the setup and composition at the falls. Much easier to take it out if not needed than to add it in if it is. :D
    edited May 19, 2008
    Vycor wrote:
    Ohh crap, i thought that was two photos at first, then realized it was one. Damn... is that a heated spring by chance?

Definitely not heated...but not terribly cold either. :D
  • kworkkwork Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    I love it like it is. If you remove some of the sky, you will also lose too much of the branches that are framing the top corners.

Print it and hang it on your wall clap.gif
    Kevin

D50 ■ 17-55 f/2.8 ■ 50 f/1.8 ■ 80-200 f/2.8 AF-S ■ SB-800 ■ SB-600 ■ Hoya Filters ■ Manfrotto legs and head ■ Kata R-103 Rucksack

My SmugMug
    My Project 366 :ivar
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    Very nice shot. I think it works with or without the sky. thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    Oh my.iloveyou.gif That is lovely.thumb.gif
  • kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    lovely photo! thumb.gif
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    I picked the wrong day to view this image. It's a HOT day in Vegas and this photo makes it feel even more so... that water looks so COOL... wish I were there. Excellent work. thumb.gif

By the way, after viewing your image I turned around and looked at the cover of the June/July 2008 National Geographic Adventure sitting on my desk and the cover image looked so familar. I looked inside the magazine and yes it is Havasu Falls from a different angle that your image.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
    edited May 19, 2008
    BeachBill wrote:
    I picked the wrong day to view this image. It's a HOT day in Vegas and this photo makes it feel even more so... wish I were there. Excellent work. thumb.gif

Thanks. If it makes you feel any better, its supposed to reach 99 degrees here in Dallas today...I think that I came back from Havasu a week too soon.

There are plenty of various angle to shoot Havasu Falls from...I have a bunch more that I haven't gotten to as of yet.
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    argyle wrote:
    Thanks. If it makes you feel any better, its supposed to reach 99 degrees here in Dallas today...

+10 here.

It's already 100 at noon... However on Wednesday we will feel like it's freezing with a forecast high of only 85. rolleyes1.gif
    argyle wrote:
    There are plenty of various angle to shoot Havasu Falls from...

I like your image better!
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • toberstobers Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    That's just super. I kept scrolling down and seeing more and more. Really good foreground detail and range out to the background. Excellent!
  • Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    Great image!thumb.gif I think a crop of about 50% of the sky would be helpful. I like the blue water and blue sky framing the falls in between. I lived in Az. for years and never made it to this location. What a tragedy. Excellent exposure.
    edited May 21, 2008
    Great image!thumb.gif I think a crop of about 50% of the sky would be helpful. I like the blue water and blue sky framing the falls in between. I lived in Az. for years and never made it to this location. What a tragedy. Excellent exposure.

Thanks Albert. But hey, you can always travel back...
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    Beautiful shot, the colors are fantastic!
  • VrungelVrungel Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    Very nicely done !
    thumb.gif
  • kangamanguskangamangus Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited May 23, 2008
    Wow!!

Great shot!

Love the colors!
    edited May 26, 2008
    Ron, Vrungel, kangamangus: Thanks for taking the time to look...
  • SaltWaterHippoSaltWaterHippo Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    This looks amazing. I like how everything looks naturally formed like the waterfall and all the rocks.
    edited May 30, 2008
    This looks amazing. I like how everything looks naturally formed like the waterfall and all the rocks.

Thanks. Due to the calcium and lime in the water (gives it the turquoise color), over time a layer of marble develops. The smaller falls are actually travertine marble...