Options

Problem with sorting. - Not working at all.

JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
edited June 24, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I have the sort on my gallery set to Date Taken. I have checked the exif and I can see the date taken. However the gallery is not sorting correctly and the whole event is out of order. This is very frustrating since I had my cameras time sync'd and I want to see things as they happen.

John
Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
~ Gear Pictures

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    I have the sort on my gallery set to Date Taken. I have checked the exif and I can see the date taken. However the gallery is not sorting correctly and the whole event is out of order. This is very frustrating since I had my cameras time sync'd and I want to see things as they happen.

John

Sorting on Smugmug can be a bit confusing sometimes. This could either be a Smugmug problem or perhaps there's some confusion about what gallery settings will actually give you the outcome you want. Let's look at the settings for a minute.

There are a couple places you can find sorting related features. The first one is in the Tools menu where there's a Sort Gallery option. If you want to configure your gallery so that all current mages and future uploads go into a sort order, this is probably not the option you want. If this is the one you were using, then read-on for other options. What this option is useful for is a one-time sort based on the images currently in the gallery. Future uploads will not follow this sort order and you can then manually rearrange your images after using this one-time sort. You may also find that this option does nothing. This can be because of another gallery option isn't set appropriately to allow the sort to be visible.

The second place you find sorting options is in the customize gallery screen. In the look and feel section, you see "Sort by" and "Sort direction". Here you control how Smugmug automatically sorts your gallery, even as you add new images. For what you are looking for, I would assume you want to set this to sort by to "Date Taken" and then set Sort Direction as you want it.

As an FYI, the batch sort that I first described that's in the Tools menu will only take affect if Sort By is set to Position (this effectively turns off automatic sort so that other positioning methods can be used - batch sort is one of those, manual positioning is another).

If you are doing all of this and it still isn't working, can you please provide a gallery link and an example of two images that are not in the right order so we can take a look. If you want someone who is not from Smugmug to provide help, we will also need to be able to see the originals (so we can see the EXIF data).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Sorting on Smugmug can be a bit confusing sometimes. This could either be a Smugmug problem or perhaps there's some confusion about what gallery settings will actually give you the outcome you want. Let's look at the settings for a minute.

There are a couple places you can find sorting related features. The first one is in the Tools menu where there's a Sort Gallery option. If you want to configure your gallery so that all current mages and future uploads go into a sort order, this is probably not the option you want. If this is the one you were using, then read-on for other options. What this option is useful for is a one-time sort based on the images currently in the gallery. Future uploads will not follow this sort order and you can then manually rearrange your images after using this one-time sort. You may also find that this option does nothing. This can be because of another gallery option isn't set appropriately to allow the sort to be visible.

The second place you find sorting options is in the customize gallery screen. In the look and feel section, you see "Sort by" and "Sort direction". Here you control how Smugmug automatically sorts your gallery, even as you add new images. For what you are looking for, I would assume you want to set this to sort by to "Date Taken" and then set Sort Direction as you want it.

As an FYI, the batch sort that I first described that's in the Tools menu will only take affect if Sort By is set to Position (this effectively turns off automatic sort so that other positioning methods can be used - batch sort is one of those, manual positioning is another).

If you are doing all of this and it still isn't working, can you please provide a gallery link and an example of two images that are not in the right order so we can take a look. If you want someone who is not from Smugmug to provide help, we will also need to be able to see the originals (so we can see the EXIF data).

I have posted about arrange not working before. To me this is a serious bug and needs attention.
    I have a gallery with many pictures. I arrange them in a sequence I prefer, but generally with the newest first. I set the gallery settings to descending with autosort none.

When I move a picture the whole order will flip with oldest first. The arrange feature will not work to put them back.
    I finaly gave up and put the gallery back to ascending. But everytime I upload a picture it ends up at the bottom of the gallery and I have to move it to the top.
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    John and Dennis,

Yes, this is a known problem and it's reported. If you have your gallery set to descending and auto sort none, it doesn't work. Could you give it a try to set auto sort to 'time taken'? That should fix your problem. If not, give us the link to your gallery (or a test gallery if you can't have us play around with your real gallery) and we'll have a look.

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    John and Dennis,

Yes, this is a known problem and it's reported. If you have your gallery set to descending and auto sort none, it doesn't work. Could you give it a try to set auto sort to 'time taken'? That should fix your problem. If not, give us the link to your gallery (or a test gallery if you can't have us play around with your real gallery) and we'll have a look.

Thanks,
    Sebastian

Thanks,

I cannot use "time taken" as I only sort roughly by time, I need to arrange individually after uploading. You can use this gallery to experiment...

http://www.dennismullen.com/gallery/5125524_rp6pD#319045291_ozhqB
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    JoeGJoeG Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    This has only happened to me on one gallery... but I have the correct date/time in the EXIF for each file. When I uploaded them, the date/time was completely incorrect. I have no idea how this happened. When I clicked info on the images, the date/time was way off... it said that pictures taken in 2006 were taken in 2000. Very strange. And, like I said, the correct date/time is listed in PSE6 (and in the file properties on a right-click, properties box)

I ended up making sure they were sorted correctly in PSE6 (which has the correct date/time), then I uploaded them. SM has the wrong date/time. I set the gallery to sort by upload time. It finally sorted them the way I wanted them sorted.
    Joe Gearhart
    Photos | Blogs | Twitter | MySpace | Facebook