Is my new 5D actually new?

susanbudgesusanbudge Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited May 21, 2008 in Cameras
Hello there. I'm hoping someone can help me.

My long awaited Canon 5d arrived today from a major UK online retailer. I've noticed that the first file number is 2773! I was expecting it to start at zero. The file numbering is set to continuous.

Does this mean I have a refurbished copy? I can't say I noticed on my 30d what it started at.

Thanks

Comments

• mike_kmike_k Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    Sounds to me like it's not new. Every new Canon I've purchased started at 1.
  • susanbudgesusanbudge Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    My that was quick! Thank you.

It's what I thought, I'll have to call them tomorrow. There wasn't any protective film on the LCD either which I seem to recall having on the others I've had.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 19, 2008
    Did you put in a CF card that had been used in another camera previously?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited May 19, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:

Yes I did, but I have since put in a different card and formatted it in the camera with the same results. Body wise the camera is spotless, as you would expect.
    edited May 19, 2008
    susanbudge wrote:
    Yes I did, but I have since put in a different card and formatted it in the camera with the same results. Body wise the camera is spotless, as you would expect.

I believe you will find that in continuous numbering mode, the camera will "read" the number off of the card with the numbering sequence and then attempt to apply the subsequent numbers as though continuing the sequence on the new card.

(The camera will inherit the numbering sequence on the card. Some people even claim that an in-camera format does not destroy the ability of the camera to detect the previous sequence.)

Anyway, if you want to revert to the camera's "native" sequence you are best to:

Set the camera to "Auto reset",
    Format a card in the camera and perform a manual reset (before taking any images),
    Re-format the card,
    Turn off the camera,
    Take the card out,
    Turn the camera on and switch to "Continuous" numbering,
    Turn off the camera,
    Take out both the main battery and the backup battery and wait 15 minutes,
    Re-insert both batteries,
    Format the card in a computer (or just use a brand new card)
    Insert the recently computer formatted card and re-format in the camera
    (Or use the brand new card and format in camera).

I think if you do that you will get numbering back to what it should be for the camera. (Maybe) This has worked for some people but I have not tried it myself.
    ziggy53
    edited May 19, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:

Interesting. I didn't realize that the camera would base a file number on existing files on the card created by another camera. But that is what seems to happen - and even more interesting - it seems like the camera continues to increment from that number even after the card is formatted.

So... Susan, if the card initially had files from your 30D, it might be possible that the 5D took the last number and went from there - and will use that number even if the card if formatted. If you format the card, and put it back in the 30D, what is the file number created by the 30D?
    edited May 19, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    (The camera will inherit the numbering sequence on the card. Some people even claim that an in-camera format does not destroy the ability of the camera to detect the previous sequence.)

It seems like the camera will inherit the numbering sequence and continue to use it if even if the card is formatted - rather than somehow reading the sequence on the formatted card. What I did:

Took a card with files from my 5D and put in my 40D
    The 40D created a file with the next sequence number (took over the numbering created by the 5D)
    Formatted the card - the 40D continued at the next number
    Put a different card in the 40D (which had files created by the 40D using its original numbering sequence) and formatted it. The 40D continued using the new number sequence.
    edited May 19, 2008
    mike_k wrote:
    Interesting. I didn't realize that the camera would base a file number on existing files on the card created by another camera. But that is what seems to happen - and even more interesting - it seems like the camera continues to increment from that number even after the card is formatted.

So... Susan, if the card initially had files from your 30D, it might be possible that the 5D took the last number and went from there - and will use that number even if the card if formatted. If you format the card, and put it back in the 30D, what is the file number created by the 30D?

Now I am totally confused! :D This seems to be what has happened. Yesterday evening I used my 10d and it was this card I put in the 5d. When transferring the images to my computer, I noticed that the new 5d images were in the same folder on the card as the ones taken last by the 10d. I didn't think any more of it, but you've probably guessed, the numbering from the 10d to the 5d is sequential.

Now I am left thinking how the 10d got to under 3000 shots, it's done a bucketful more than that. I have 2 cameras on the go most of the time and the cards go backwards and forwards between the two. So how do I now know how many shots each camera has taken? Is there any way?

BTW I tried formatting the card and putting it in the 30d and it carried on on it's old numbering, sequential to the images taken with it yesterday.
    edited May 19, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I believe you will find that in continuous numbering mode, the camera will "read" the number off of the card with the numbering sequence and then attempt to apply the subsequent numbers as though continuing the sequence on the new card.

Anyway, if you want to revert to the camera's "native" sequence you are best to:

Set the camera to "Auto reset",
    Format a card in the camera and perform a manual reset (before taking any images),
    Re-format the card,
    Turn off the camera,
    Take the card out,
    Turn the camera on and switch to "Continuous" numbering,
    Turn off the camera,
    Take out both the main battery and the backup battery and wait 15 minutes,
    Re-insert both batteries,
    Format the card in a computer (or just use a brand new card)
    Insert the recently computer formatted card and re-format in the camera
    (Or use the brand new card and format in camera).

I think if you do that you will get numbering back to what it should be for the camera. (Maybe) This has worked for some people but I have not tried it myself.

Thanks Ziggy, I will try this tomorrow. So it would seem I may still have a "new" camera after all:-)
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    because cards are so cheap I use multiple cards but I have cards numbered 1,2 and 3 with letters a,b,c,d.......the numbers are for the camera and letters so I know which card is shot when.....shoot "a" first then "b" and on down the sequence.......sounds hard but really you get used to it quickly.....I used to number my film the same way.......:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited May 19, 2008
    susanbudge wrote:
    Now I am left thinking how the 10d got to under 3000 shots, it's done a bucketful more than that.
    Something else to keep in mind is that the numbering rolls over to 1 again after 9999.
    susanbudge wrote:
    So how do I now know how many shots each camera has taken? Is there any way?
    As far as I know there is no way to tell short of sending the camera to Canon.
    susanbudge wrote:
    BTW I tried formatting the card and putting it in the 30d and it carried on on it's old numbering, sequential to the images taken with it yesterday.
    Was that 2773?

susanbudge wrote:
    So it would seem I may still have a "new" camera after all:-)
    Seems like this could very well be the case. Forget about all of this stuff and go out an enjoy the new camera!! :D
    edited May 20, 2008
    Seems like this could very well be the case. Forget about all of this stuff and go out an enjoy the new camera!! :D[/quote]

I think that's just what I'm going to do! After everyone's input I am happy that the camera has follwowed the 10d. I put a different card in and it went back to 3, but I'm not even going to go there! :D Many thanks for everyones input, you've all been a great help.
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    My 5D arrived today and it didn't have any sort of LCD protector. I think the microfiber cloth pouch-inside-bubble-wrap-pouch wrapping is sufficient and I don't think you get those plasticky protectors anymore.
    edited May 20, 2008
    Pindy wrote:
    My 5D arrived today and it didn't have any sort of LCD protector. I think the microfiber cloth pouch-inside-bubble-wrap-pouch wrapping is sufficient and I don't think you get those plasticky protectors anymore.

I got some at a Staples this year.

Congrats on the 5D. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    edited May 21, 2008
    Pindy wrote:

Many thanks for the reply, another piece of reassurance. It went back to 3 and has since numbered from there. I'm loving the camera! I'm doing a wedding on Friday so it will get a true workout then. I went to scout a venue for another wedding yesterday and didn't take the flash with me. I used ISO 1000 inside (just out of interest) and I couldn't believe how well it handled it.
    edited May 21, 2008
    Pindy wrote:
    My 5D arrived today

Did you notice where the numbering started on your camera?