Options

DNS / email through Google.

NavyMooseNavyMoose Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited June 15, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Hello All,

I have been dissatisfied with my hosting provider for some time now. Their email problems are becoming a serious concern and the lack of response from their technical people is unacceptable.

I was chatting with a fellow SmugMug Pro Account holder and she mentioned that Google can do hosting and email and they're never down.

On the Google Apps website, I noticed they need to perform a DNS change. Unfortunately, Google does not explain what kind of DNS change they need to do. For instance, if they want to make an A Record change, it could break my connection to SmugMug.

I worked in web hosting for quite a while and I'm fairly familiar with DNS. I remember I had to explain in detail to my provider why I needed to make the DNS change for SmugMug.

Has anyone here switched from one ISP to Google? If so, was the process smooth or was it painful?

Thank you for your help!

Navy Moose
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution.--
Ansel Adams

Comments

• Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 20, 2008
    While I have not "Switched to google" as in using Google for everything (hosting, email, apps), I have set several people up that were using Google domain hosting. It is not bad to set up once you know where to look for the DNS settings. They are kinda hidden and it takes a couple days to finally access everything if I remember correctly. Google is a reseller for other hosts like MelbourneIT and GoDaddy.

My recommendation would be to do like most of us do and use GoDaddy for the domain hosting. You can use the DNS settings to point your web address to SmugMug, then use either MX records, or mail forwarding to send your email to Gmail. I do that for 5 domains that I own. All of my email is sent to Gmail and it works great. Gmail has a send as feature that lets you choose which account you want to send from.

Either way, I will be happy to help as best I can. Send me an email at the help desk and I will work with you to set things up if you need me.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    NavyMooseNavyMoose Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    docwalker wrote:
    While I have not "Switched to google" as in using Google for everything (hosting, email, apps), I have set several people up that were using Google domain hosting. It is not bad to set up once you know where to look for the DNS settings. They are kinda hidden and it takes a couple days to finally access everything if I remember correctly. Google is a reseller for other hosts like MelbourneIT and GoDaddy.

My recommendation would be to do like most of us do and use GoDaddy for the domain hosting. You can use the DNS settings to point your web address to SmugMug, then use either MX records, or mail forwarding to send your email to Gmail. I do that for 5 domains that I own. All of my email is sent to Gmail and it works great. Gmail has a send as feature that lets you choose which account you want to send from.

Either way, I will be happy to help as best I can. Send me an email at the help desk and I will work with you to set things up if you need me.

Hi Doc,

I am sending you an email, thank you for your help!

Navy Moose
    Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution.--
    Ansel Adams
  • Options
    johnnabrynnjohnnabrynn Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    docwalker wrote:

hey i think u are just the person i need. (even though i already asked in diff. thread, i found u) so, ...i need my sm page to be linked with my google apps domain name. so, when i type in www.johnnabrynn.com I want to be directed to johnnbrynn.smugmug.com
    thanks,
    jb
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 15, 2008
    Johnna, Send me an email on the help desk using the link above. I will be happy to help you get things set up.

I need your Google Apps Login info. Be sure to reference this thread to that I know what I am setting up :-)
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com