The Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD(IF) Macro!

PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
edited May 21, 2008 in Cameras
Yup, another of those long named lenses from Tamron :D

I just got my copy in the mail today and I took some pictures of it (Canon EOS mount) for you guys to enjoy. I will take some pictures WITH it later and post them here too :D

I also compared it with my Sigma 70-200 f.8

The Box - long name.
web.jpg

The Soft Pouch/Case - It has draw strings and ties on top. I like Sigma's better.
web.jpg

The Lens - It is lighter than the Sigma, but also feels a lot more plastic-y. But the overall design and looks is better.
web.jpg

The Front Element - 77mm filter size, looks sharp.
web.jpg

The Focus Ring AF/MF Switch - You do not flip a switch in the bottom of the lens, like with most lenses. In this lens you pull down on the focus ring, and it switches to manual focus.
web.jpg

The Manual Focus "blue ring" - Blue is the new red! :D (from Canon's L series), when you switch to MF the lens shows a neat blue ring... it looks pretty sweet and it will get your attention if you forget to switch back to AF.
web.jpg

Sigma Vs Tamron part 1 - Sigma is bigger in diameter in most of the body.
web.jpg

Sigma Vs Tamron part 2 - Tamron is longer, lighter, looks cool.
web.jpg

One thing to notice is the "Tripod Mounting Ring" is pretty flimsy looking (made of plastic). The Sigma one seems to be made of the same metal alloy as the body of the lens. Here (among other things) seems to be where Tamron made some sacrifices.

More Images Here: http://gallery.mac.com/punkypunky#100024

Alright, I will go take some sample shots with the lens ;)
Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM

Comments

• dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    i'm really interested to see how the IQ compares between the two. please keep us posted! thumb.gif
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    dangin wrote:
    i'm really interested to see how the IQ compares between the two. please keep us posted! thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif Me too as I own the older Siggy version of the 2.8 70-210 and it is a huge hunk of metal...........as long as I can insure my lenses I don't care if they are made of plastic or metal...as long as they work well for atleast the duration of the 5 or 6yr warranty mwink.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    Tamron vs Sigma
    The results are in! clap.gif

I must say that the Tamron AF is noisy (vs very quiet Sigma), and it slower (than the speedy Sigma). Yet, the Tamron's MF is excellent! smooth and accurate (and it has a pretty cool blue ring mwink.gif!). The weight on the Tamron is quite a selling point, if you need to hand hold for a while and do not need the quick speed of the Sigma.

Here are some samples:

@ 70mm f2.8

Tamron
    web.jpg
    Sigma
    web.jpg

@ 135mm f2.8

Tamron
    web.jpg
    Sigma
    web.jpg

@ 200mm f2.8

Tamron
    web.jpg

Sigma
    web.jpg

To me, the IQ is pretty much the same... So it depends on your needs, noise vs speed vs weight vs cool factor... they even out to me thumb.gif
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    Hey thanks for the comparison.
    I was how it was compared to the current Sigma lens.
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    I am testing it out on live subjects tomorrow on a Senior Shoot-out day ;)
  • EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    :lurk