Across Turnagain Arm Panos

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited May 20, 2008 in Landscapes
I'm have a great time visiting with my brother and his family in the beautiful Alaska! Yesterday, we drove from Anchorage to the Alaska Wildlife Center. On the way back, we stopped just this side of Girdwood for this photo opportunity. The distance from me to the mountains? - approx 3 miles.

1. This first pano is the result of stitching 23 portrait oriented images from a Canon 30D.
298093775_WUxi5-L.jpg

2. This is from stitching 14 images from my MaxMax.com modified Canon 20D.
298140683_Frnhu-L.jpg

What I find amazing is the extent to which the UV interference/haze is removed in the IR photo. You can see the detail of the trees at the base of the mountains that are lost in the haze in the color version.

More images coming as they are made....

C&C welcome

Comments

• ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    Beautiful
    Scott -

These images are incredible. I have been that route and it is breathtaking in person but these images really capture the beauty. Thanks for posting them. Looks like you are having great weather too!
    I'm have a great time visiting with my brother and his family in the beautiful Alaska! Yesterday, we drove from Anchorage to the Alaska Wildlife Center. On the way back, we stopped just this side of Girdwood for this photo opportunity. The distance from me to the mountains? - approx 3 miles.

1. This first pano is the result of stitching 23 portrait oriented images from a Canon 30D.
    298093775_WUxi5-L.jpg

2. This is from stitching 14 images from my MaxMax.com modified Canon 20D.
    298140683_Frnhu-L.jpg

What I find amazing is the extent to which the UV interference/haze is removed in the IR photo. You can see the detail of the trees at the base of the mountains that are lost in the haze in the color version.

More images coming as they are made....

C&C welcome
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    SIMPLY AMAZING SCOTT!!! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    Scott -

These images are incredible. I have been that route and it is breathtaking in person but these images really capture the beauty. Thanks for posting them. Looks like you are having great weather too!
    Thanks for commenting - I'm glad you liked them!
    So far, the weather has been absolutely wonderful -which is unusual. Every other trip I've made here has been mostly cloudy, especially along the Turnagain Arm. Conditions are supposed to change this weekend and get mostly cloudy. We'll see.
    edited May 20, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    SIMPLY AMAZING SCOTT!!! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    I don't know about that, but I do kinda like them mwink.gif. Thanks for commenting.
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    I agree with the others, beautiful pictures. I particularly like the IR version. Lots of great detail and beautiful BW toning.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    scott im confused...i thought IR cameras showed all green as white....???
    Aaron Nelson
    edited May 20, 2008
    scott im confused...i thought IR cameras showed all green as white....???
    Only if that green is also being illuminated by a light source. Green vegatation does a wonderful job of reflecting IR. Conifer trees reflect less IR than do leafed trees. The trees on these mountains were, essentially, in shadow.

So, not so much IR reflected from these trees.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    i see, thanks! lots to learn...lots to learn....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    These are superb clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited May 20, 2008
    These are superb clap.gif
    I thank you, sir. I hope things are going well for you!
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008