Lens Combos

JetJet Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
edited May 21, 2008 in Cameras
I've been looking at lenses for the wide/middle range on my D200 to get in the next few months - At the moment all I have is the Nikon 18-55, which isnt bad, but I would like more on the wide end and overall sharpness.

I was thinking about the tokina 12-24 and either the Tamron 17-50 or 28-70. 2.8

However, I just came across the Tokina 11-16 2.8. I havnt read any comprehensive reviews on it except Ken Rockwell's (who raves about it), but the 2.8 and it's apparent sharpness make it appealing, and it would work nicely as a combo with the 17-50. I'm not sure about the small focal range though. I dont want to be switching lenses all the time.

Has anyone had any experience with this lens?

I generally use my 18-55 for landscapes and some 'people' shots at the moment.

Suggestions welcome.
Jethro :D
My Blog
Jethro Kingston Photography
Use this coupon code to get $5 off when joining smugmug: eO3NU7AM85scE

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 20, 2008
    Jet wrote:
    I've been looking at lenses for the wide/middle range on my D200 to get in the next few months - At the moment all I have is the Nikon 18-55, which isnt bad, but I would like more on the wide end and overall sharpness.

I was thinking about the tokina 12-24 and either the Tamron 17-50 or 28-70. 2.8

However, I just came across the Tokina 11-16 2.8. I havnt read any comprehensive reviews on it except Ken Rockwell's (who raves about it), but the 2.8 and it's apparent sharpness make it appealing, and it would work nicely as a combo with the 17-50. I'm not sure about the small focal range though. I dont want to be switching lenses all the time.

Has anyone had any experience with this lens?

I generally use my 18-55 for landscapes and some 'people' shots at the moment.

Suggestions welcome.

Jethro,

The Tokina 11-16mm, f/2.8 AT-X is a new entity and I'm not sure if you can get one made for the US market yet. I couldn't even find any examples of the lens at PBase.

If you need the superwide zoom range at f2.8, this is the only lens available, especially considering the price.

I honestly don't see a true "dud" in any of the current superwide lenses used at the usual small apertures. Used wide open, there are differences, but even there the differences are not vast.

I have the Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM and I am pretty happy with performance. Most of the time I use this lens at f8 for the expansive DOF.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    Note for other Nikon users, doesn't AF with D40, presumably not with D60 either
    http://www.tokinalens.com/products/tokina/atx116prodx-b.html

It's apparently out of stock at B&H though, but no reviews there yet.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554036-REG/Tokina_ATX116PRODXN_11_16mm_f_2_8_AT_X_116.html

Couple of user reviews here:
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=352&sort=7&cat=40&page=1

Photozone's review of the Canon mount of this lens:
    http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Canon%20EOS%20Lens%20Tests/45-canon-eos-aps-c/379-tokina_1116_28_canon

Looks like it's going to be a hot item for a while, you might want to try the Notify when in stock button on B&H's web site and use an email address that you have steady access to :)
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    You are in luck. I just bought and tried the Tokina 11-16 (returned due to backfocusing) and have also owned the Tokina 12-24 and the Tamron 17-50, although all are for Canon.

Her are my thoughts about the lenses.
    11-16: Sharper than the Sigma 10-20 and the Tokina 12-24 I had. The sharpest Ultrawide out there. Unfortunately, it's more like a prime than a zoom. So if this is more for low light work it's fine. If you are looking at a versatile landscape UWA, consider eithe a Sigma 10-20 or a Tokina 12-24. Of these two I prefer Sigma for it's quieter HSM AF and wider 10mm fov. It also can use normal thickness cpl, the tokina will vignette at 12mm with one. Ironically, the 11-16 didn't at 11mm. The Tokina 11-16 is out of stock and no one seems to really know when it'll come in again, including Tokina USA. The tokina 12-24 is a nice lens but I found the CA a bit too much for my taste.

Tamron 17-50:
    It has excellent optics with a consumer grade build quality at a consumer grade price. The barrel is made of plastic and feels cheap, the AF is noisy and the MF ring rotates when you AF. Other than that, it's light and for me produces great optics, I'd say along the level of Nikon's 17-55.

If you find the 18-55 range to work well for you, I'd consider the Tamron 17-50 as I think it uses the screw AF drive from the body and may be quieter than the Canon version. It'll be just wider, faster, and sharper. CA or flare is not a big issue with this lens. However, if you intend to keep the 18-55 and want a wider zoom, consider either the Sigma 10-20 or the Tokina 12-24.

If you are set on the 11-16mm f2.8, be prepared to pay more and wait for a while.