1:
298362932_Ckqmb-XL.jpg
2:
298363018_VZYPm-XL.jpg
3:
298362974_JU7ov-XL.jpg

Canon 40D, EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS USM, PW
ISO 100, f/4, 1/200s
Striplight on the camera right, silver 3x4 reflector on the camera left, hair light with a tight snoot up & behind the model.
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    Looks good but I have one suggestion. Instead of a snoot on the hairlight, maybe widen the beam a tad. I'd like to see if the hair highlighted on both sides (not just her left) would give it more pop. Dress exposure looks good to me.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    TristanP wrote:
    Looks good but I have one suggestion. Instead of a snoot on the hairlight, maybe widen the beam a tad. I'd like to see if the hair highlighted on both sides (not just her left) would give it more pop. Dress exposure looks good to me.
    Thank you! thumb.gif
    Yeah, I agree, I may need to make another, less tight snoot. I'm still in process of figuring out how to make one with variable beam angle, something like bellows...headscratch.gif
  • super starsuper star Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    Hi Friend,

I second it with Tristan.... you should highlight model's hair...

#1 Take a look at shadow area on her left side face... OOF, On shadow.. the power of models eyes...thrown away. Hair should be highlight.. rest everything is fine.

#2 Same problem again.. wonderful pose... Correct snoot light setting compared to picture #1.

#3 Tight crop works very well but, again lighting not properly done.. lost of details by shadow below nose... and hard shadows on her neck area...insufficient of lights or you planned to take like this ??

all this are personal opinion... not hurt you in anyways..

thanks

-Super star :davidto
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    Nik,

I have a question about you watermark. Was it custom designed for this photo? I notice the font is dark where it needs to be dark...and light where it needs to be light. How did you accomplish this?

On the photos,

Not being a fan of studio shots.....and as such...not at all versed in studio lighting I will leave the lighting suggestions to others. What I will say is that while I like to see shadows that help to shape faces I also like to see both eyes. One and two both have hard shadows hiding her right eye.
    edited May 20, 2008
    super star wrote:
    Hi Friend,
    all this are personal opinion... not hurt you in anyways..

Thank you for the detailed comments, appreciate your time! thumb.gif

Re: shadows:
    The shoot target output was originally intended to be a dramatic bw. Hence my choice of striplight instead of full softbox. I'm still going through the materual (we had shot 9(!) looks), and decided to produce color versions first and only then work on the final BWs.
    Cheers! 1drink.gif
    edited May 20, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Nik,

I have a question about you watermark. Was it custom designed for this photo? I notice the font is dark where it needs to be dark...and light where it needs to be light. How did you accomplish this?
    "Difference" :-)
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    On the photos,
    Not being a fan of studio shots.....and as such...not at all versed in studio lighting I will leave the lighting suggestions to others. What I will say is that while I like to see shadows that help to shape faces I also like to see both eyes. One and two both have hard shadows hiding her right eye.
    Jeff, please see my reply to superstar. This was shot for dramatic BW. There are more looks coming, so stay tuned, you may like them more.mwink.gif
  • super starsuper star Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:

Jeff, please see my reply to superstar. This was shot for dramatic BW. There are more looks coming, so stay tuned, you may like them more.mwink.gif

Anyway.. in next posts please describe your pictures to make us understand better...deal.gif

- Super star:davidto
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you! thumb.gif
    Yeah, I agree, I may need to make another, less tight snoot. I'm still in process of figuring out how to make one with variable beam angle, something like bellows...headscratch.gif

What lights were you using? Maybe a small softbox or fairly open grid rather than a snoot would do the trick? Looking forward to the rest.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    Make sure that the check that is in the shadow has a tri-angle shadow of light.

Otherwise...great shots.
  • dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    Very nice shots! How do you like that lens? I am looking into getting the 17-55 IS f/2.8 or the 24-105 IS f/4.

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

edited May 20, 2008
    TristanP wrote:
    What lights were you using? Maybe a small softbox or fairly open grid rather than a snoot would do the trick? Looking forward to the rest.
    The hairlight is sunpak 555EX. I use it there because it's very light compared to Profoto monolights.
    I was about to make a softboxy thing for it, but lately I've been so busy shooting that I really had no time for this. But I can see that I probably shood spend an hor and make it happen, cause it really affects the results.ne_nau.gif
    Thanks! thumb.gif
    edited May 20, 2008
    Seneca wrote:
    Make sure that the check that is in the shadow has a tri-angle shadow of light.

Otherwise...great shots.

Thank you!thumb.gif
    edited May 20, 2008
    dawssvt wrote:
    Very nice shots! How do you like that lens? I am looking into getting the 17-55 IS f/2.8 or the 24-105 IS f/4.
    Dawson, thank you!
    I love my 17-55! You can't beat f/2.8! I got it almost a year ago and enjoy it tremendously. It's my primary workhorse, almost never leaves the body (except for big landscape shoots, where I tend to use 10-22 more).
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    I understand for fashion photogs don't move the lights around much because the model is constantly moving but for studio portrait photogs, the lights are moved around constantly to complement the posing.
    Judging by the catchlight and shadows in #3, I feel like you should have repositioned the main light to a higher point and maybe with a tilt to compensate for her tilting her head. As it is the shadow is running from the bottom of her nose into her eye. Regardless, I like that shot the most followed by #2 and #1. thumb.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited May 21, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    I understand for fashion photogs don't move the lights around much because the model is constantly moving but for studio portrait photogs, the lights are moved around constantly to complement the posing.
    Judging by the catchlight and shadows in #3, I feel like you should have repositioned the main light to a higher point and maybe with a tilt to compensate for her tilting her head. As it is the shadow is running from the bottom of her nose into her eye. Regardless, I like that shot the most followed by #2 and #1. thumb.gif

Thanks!
    FWIW, I kept the lights the same during "the look", but changed them in between... In fact, this probably was my biggest light-adjusting experience ever. Switching from strip to softbox to octabox to horizontal half-box to ...
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    Hi Nik. I think what throws these off balance a bit is that they are broad lighted. With her facial features and body position/pose, short lighting with a lowered ratio on camera right would have provided a tad more fill without the dramatic fall off. Since her apparrel and pose is that of a more standard portrait, perhaps more traditional lighting would be more appealing. Now if she was posed and dressed in grunge..harsher light works great.

You already know this stuff.....and I'm certain you have your reasoning....just wanted to point out my initial view. BTW...I loved your last gallery (was viewing it on my little IPod Touch while away from home) mwink.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited May 21, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Hi Nik. I think what throws these off balance a bit is that they are broad lighted. With her facial features and body position/pose, short lighting with a lowered ratio on camera right would have provided a tad more fill without the dramatic fall off. Since her apparel and pose is that of a more standard portrait, perhaps more traditional lighting would be more appealing. Now if she was posed and dressed in grunge..harsher light works great.

You already know this stuff.....and I'm certain you have your reasoning....just wanted to point out my initial view. BTW...I loved your last gallery (was viewing it on my little IPod Touch while away from home) mwink.gif
    Thanks, David!
    Appreciate the C&C. You understand, of course, this was a dynamic shoot, I couldn't change the light setup for every other frame. However, light was different throughout the shoot, so I hope some worked better for some poses, some for others..:-)
    We are, in fact, planning another session with her, so hopefully I'll have a chance to try more setups.. mwink.gif