New to Sports!

Noel_Noel_ Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited May 21, 2008 in Sports
Finally signed up for good old SM and have a couple shots to put out there for CC or just general feedback...

298143485_NREV3-M.jpg

298142435_De3XK-M.jpg

298139971_XqNWP-M.jpg

298141275_opd6E-M.jpg

298707696_Vnkhf-M.jpg

Many thanks in advance for any comments and look forward to browsing through all of your pics!

Cheers

Comments

• vt1122vt1122 Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    #1 is awsome thumb.gif that cloud of red dirt makes the shot.
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    I love the red cloud of dust in #1 too; it's the best of a nice set. It could use straightening though.

(PS since you're new to sports: I'm new to sports in the last year, and 80% of my shots need straightening in PP. After shooting over 6,000 images this spring alone, I still sometimes forget to straighten, even after cropping, until I've looked at the image three or four times).

I've been down to the Bahamas a few times, and it seems like there's always a ballgame of some sort (hoop, baseball, you name it) going on. Looks from your shots like even the "old guys" still like to play!
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    Noel_ wrote:
    Finally signed up for good old SM and have a couple shots to put out there for CC or just general feedback...
    Many thanks in advance for any comments and look forward to browsing through all of your pics!

Cheers

Good action captures. Depending upon what you want to do with these shots, one thing to think about is working harder to get the player's faces and expressions. My best shots usually (but not always) give a nice clear view of the player's face and expression. I've heard many pros say that if a shot doesn't have the player's face clearly visible in it, it's a lot less likely to sell and less desirable for editorial uses (newspapers, web-sites, etc...) too.

#1 has some faces, but they are harder to see because of the lighting and high contrast.

#2 really wants some faces and probably wants to be not quite so tight so we can see the whole scene, including the player's head on the right.

#3 just feels like it's cropped a bit too tight on the right and feels like it needs a little more context to help tell the story of what's going on.

#4 works, but would probably be even better if you could see the player behind that looks like he's probably trying to throw this base runner out. If you could see that, the single image would tell the whole story.

#5 works, but it isn't showing us faces. The framing would be a little better if there was more dirt and less space above the players. If you cropped this at all, you could probably adjust that some. If this was taken in a sequence at 5fps or more, I'd love to see the next frame to see what happens during the collision as the throw is being made and feet are coming off the ground.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Hockey is LifeHockey is Life Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    Nice shots. the cloud of red dust in picture #1 is a very good shot.

I agree with a few other post straightening could help.

Enjoy shooting it is a great art.