Options

Slideshow software needed

jcdilljcdill Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
edited May 22, 2008 in Finishing School
I don't think my requirements are all that complicated, but I'm having a really hard time finding slideshow software to do what I need.

1) I'm using a MacBook Pro - OS X 10.4

2) I need to make a ~5 minute slideshow with ~100 photos

3) I need to add several music clips

4) I need to choreograph the photo time intervals to match the music clips

5) When I add or delete a photo, the time interval for other items (photos or the fade intervals between photos) should NOT change.

6) I need to set groups of photos to a given display/overlap interval - some will play slower (4-5 seconds each) others faster (1-2 seconds each).

7) Most photos will have a standard fade interval between them, but I have several photos that I need to mostly overlay the following photo. E.g. play the first photo for 1 second, starting the second photo .25 into the first photo. (They are the same photo, with a mask on the first one, so the unmasked portion comes in gradually as the first photo fading out.) I can't do this in iMovie - it won't let the fade cover more than 50% of either image, which doesn't provide the effect I need, and it keeps changing the interval of the photo or the fade without telling me.

8) When I'm done I need to be able to export so that the viewer can play on any computer without special software.

9) The photos need to be kept at photo quality, not degraded. I processed these images from RAW in Lightroom and edited in 16bit in Photoshop, then saved as jpeg in high quality. I will be burning this to a DVD.

I've been trying this in iMovie, and am having endless problems with 4, 5, 6, and 7. I haven't even tried 8, and am very disappointed in the image quality (9). If 9 were the *only* problem I'd probably stick with iMovie, but given all the other problems I'm trying to see if there is something else that can do this better.

This is just a 5 minute slideshow, it shouldn't take hours or days to setup!

Finally, I've wasted a LOT of time on iMovie because a bunch of people (on another forum) said "iMovie will do what you want" when they hadn't actually checked to see if it would do it. I would really appreciate it if you could tell me if you have tried the thing you say your recommendation can do, or if you are just guessing that it can do that. I don't have endless time to locate/download/install/setup/try a program only to find that it doesn't do the thing you said it did. I hope this doesn't come across as demanding or unappreciative - but I really need to KNOW that the program can do what I need, rather than just keep "trying" and getting more frustrated, and running up against my deadline to get this done.

Thanks!

jc
JC Dill - Equine Photographer, San Francisco & San Jose http://portfolio.jcdill.com
"Chance favors the prepared mind." ~ Ansel Adams
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    jcdill wrote:
    I don't think my requirements are all that complicated, but I'm having a really hard time finding slideshow software to do what I need.

2) I need to make a ~5 minute slideshow with ~100 photos

3) I need to add several music clips

4) I need to choreograph the photo time intervals to match the music clips

5) When I add or delete a photo, the time interval for other items (photos or the fade intervals between photos) should NOT change.

6) I need to set groups of photos to a given display/overlap interval - some will play slower (4-5 seconds each) others faster (1-2 seconds each).

7) Most photos will have a standard fade interval between them, but I have several photos that I need to mostly overlay the following photo. E.g. play the first photo for 1 second, starting the second photo .25 into the first photo. (They are the same photo, with a mask on the first one, so the unmasked portion comes in gradually as the first photo fading out.) I can't do this in iMovie - it won't let the fade cover more than 50% of either image, which doesn't provide the effect I need, and it keeps changing the interval of the photo or the fade without telling me.

8) When I'm done I need to be able to export so that the viewer can play on any computer without special software.

9) The photos need to be kept at photo quality, not degraded. I processed these images from RAW in Lightroom and edited in 16bit in Photoshop, then saved as jpeg in high quality. I will be burning this to a DVD.

I've been trying this in iMovie, and am having endless problems with 4, 5, 6, and 7. I haven't even tried 8, and am very disappointed in the image quality (9). If 9 were the *only* problem I'd probably stick with iMovie, but given all the other problems I'm trying to see if there is something else that can do this better.

This is just a 5 minute slideshow, it shouldn't take hours or days to setup!

Finally, I've wasted a LOT of time on iMovie because a bunch of people (on another forum) said "iMovie will do what you want" when they hadn't actually checked to see if it would do it. I would really appreciate it if you could tell me if you have tried the thing you say your recommendation can do, or if you are just guessing that it can do that. I don't have endless time to locate/download/install/setup/try a program only to find that it doesn't do the thing you said it did. I hope this doesn't come across as demanding or unappreciative - but I really need to KNOW that the program can do what I need, rather than just keep "trying" and getting more frustrated, and running up against my deadline to get this done.

Thanks!

jc

I can't speak for iMovie or for other programs that run on a Mac, but for item 9 (photo quality), do you realize that the regular DVD movie format is only 720x480 which is far, far, far less than typical photo quality (only 0.35 megapixels - less than a cell phone camera). If you just want the movie to play on a computer (and not on a DVD player), then you can probably save a higher resolution in a format that Quicktime or Windows Media player or Adobe Flash can read and show on a computer screen.

For all the other editing things you are asking for, I use ProShow Gold, but I believe it only runs on the PC. For the Mac, I would think you might be looking at something like Adobe Premiere Elements.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    jcdill wrote:
    I don't think my requirements are all that complicated
    Well, actually, I think your requirements are pretty complicated, and that would seem to be validated by how difficult it is for you to find software to do exactly what you want. I'd get myself some time at the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store and see what they come up with. I'm going to guess you're going to need a pro-level application, and that will mean $$$.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    Adobe Premiere Elements will do everything you asked...and much more.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    Soundslides is another option, though it doesn't exactly fit your specifications (ie changing/deleting photos does require a bit of re-jiggering of your audio/photo sequencing to match it up again). Anyway, I use soundslides for my day job all the time to mix and post audio slideshows. Of course I have the benefit of being able to use pro-tools to mix my audio prior to importing it into Soundslides.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    You can run up to 99 tracks of audio and video simultaneously on the timeline in PE....if your mac doesn't squat. It is very flexible. Anything I have been able to think up...I have been able to do.
  • Options
    BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    jcdill wrote:

My first thought was "Keynote" (or MS PowerPoint):

http://www.apple.com/iwork/keynote/

Another option may be "Impress":

http://www.openoffice.org/

Photoshop can do *some* (but not all) of what you want with PDF slideshow export.

Hope this helps,

Stephen Marsh
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/