Error Message

Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
edited May 21, 2008 in Cameras
My friend just called me in a panic, she says her husbands Canon Rebel XT keeps showing a error message like this "err cf"

I have looked on Canons website and tried typing that message in and I don't see anything about it. Can anyone tell me if they have seen this message or what it means?? I am guessing it has something to do with the memory card but I really don't know what else. She tried taking it out and putting it back in and the message was still there. She tried another card and it did the same thing.

Any advice would be nice as she is worried her hubby will have a hemorrhage!!

Thank you,
Heather

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 20, 2008
    Have her look inside the CF compartment to see if any pins are bent.

If the pins are OK, take the main battery out as well as the backup (watch type) battery. Wait 15 minutes and put the batteries back in, backup battery first.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    Thank you... I will have her do this today and let you know what happend.
    If a pin is bent, do you know about how much that costs to get fixed?

Thanks again Ziggy :D
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 21, 2008
    Thank you... I will have her do this today and let you know what happend.
    If a pin is bent, do you know about how much that costs to get fixed?

Thanks again Ziggy :D

If the pin is just bent a bit, it can be straightened. If the pin is bent and mashed down, the socket needs to be replaced. If the camera is out of warranty, likely with an XT, there will be a fee but it will be much less than a new camera. (It will be reasonable.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    If the pin is just bent a bit, it can be straightened. If the pin is bent and mashed down, the socket needs to be replaced. If the camera is out of warranty, likely with an XT, there will be a fee but it will be much less than a new camera. (It will be reasonable.)

Well it turns out that there are 2 bent pins. Apparently she tried just a little too hard to get the card in and didn't realize what she had done until her hubby got home and he looked at it. So he is going to send it in to get fixed. He is thinknig if it costs too much he may buy a new XT (since they are a lot cheaper now than 3 years ago) or possibly upgrade. I tried to sell him mine so I can upgrade mwink.gifrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl

He didn't go for that:cry

Thanks again for your help!!

Heather