Cycling Shots of Shannon

TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
edited May 21, 2008 in Sports
Here are a few from Saturday. 2 Vivitar 285s with Cactus V2s triggers attached to light stands jerry-rigged to my truck as booms. Some are straight up photos and a few I had fun with in post. C&C welcomed. There are a few more here. Thanks for looking.

297097705_CWapS-L-1.jpg

297096732_xjn4f-L-1.jpg

297096283_wbfnj-L-1.jpg

297097850_tKmDW-L-1.jpg

Comments

• munmimunmi Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    Should I be watching for one of these images in Bicycling Magazine? They are all stunning. Thanks for sharing.
    Scott

www.smitchellphotography.com
    Munising, Michigan
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    Very well done clap.gif. Your tag line is awesome BTW.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    I like the first shot the most. I think the second shot's shutter speed may have been too fast b/c there isn't enough blurring of the background for my tastes.

Lastly, there seems to be a bit of a blue cast that you can bet with PS or LR.
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    munmi wrote:
    Should I be watching for one of these images in Bicycling Magazine? They are all stunning. Thanks for sharing.

What a great compliment! Thanks. :D
    edited May 21, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    Very well done clap.gif. Your tag line is awesome BTW.

Thanks for the kind remark. As for the tag line.... we'll I'll let 90% of my other shots speak for themselves. rolleyes1.gif
    edited May 21, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    I like the first shot the most. I think the second shot's shutter speed may have been too fast b/c there isn't enough blurring of the background for my tastes.

Lastly, there seems to be a bit of a blue cast that you can bet with PS or LR.

Great input. I did a series of shots at 1/20 and then some at 1/80. At a wide-angle, the motion blur drops off a great deal at distance. I wish I had caught this one at a slower shutter speed. Thanks!
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    Hello Travis. :D
    The picture I like the most is the first one.
    However, the last one is also a good one. She is concentrated, looking ahead or almost. In this respect better than the first one.

I like the crop of the 3.e picture and the hole of it.

I like the dynamism of the scene and shooting from the truck with the flashes off cam is a really a good way to do it.

:Dthumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
    edited May 21, 2008
    Thanks Antonio. The truck wasn't optimum though because there was way too much vibration (it was a diesel). Next time I may try this from a golf cart if we can get the speed up enough.
    edited May 21, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    Thanks Antonio. The truck wasn't optimum though because there was way too much vibration (it was a diesel). Next time I may try this from a golf cart if we can get the speed up enough.

One of these days, I met someone who has old motorcycles. He is 74.
    What attracted my attention was his 35 years - or so - old BMW in good conditions.
    I asked him if he would mine to pose for me.
    He agreed and I will be shooting him one day soon.

I also want to do something similar to what you did. But I will be going out of the roof of my car while my son or my wife drives.

The best would be a convertible with 4 seats. The shooter in the back seat, with an assistant holding the flashes at the end of a rod.

My wife's convertible has only two seats.:cry
    :D
    edited May 21, 2008
    One of these days, I met someone who has old motorcycles. He is 74.
    What attracted my attention was his 35 years - or so - old BMW in good conditions.
    I asked him if he would mine to pose for me.
    He agreed and I will be shooting him one day soon.

I also want to do something similar to what you did. But I will be going out of the roof of my car while my son or my wife drives.

The best would be a convertible with 4 seats. The shooter in the back seat, with an assistant holding the flashes at the end of a rod.

My wife's convertible has only two seats.:cry
    :D

The car should be much smoother. The main trouble you are going to face is height and distance. You will be shooting a down angle and the trunk of the car will cause a few issues with distance. I think you can work around these if you are creative. Just be safe!
    edited May 21, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    The car should be much smoother. The main trouble you are going to face is height and distance. You will be shooting a down angle and the trunk of the car will cause a few issues with distance. I think you can work around these if you are creative. Just be safe!

Thank you. I will try to be safe mwink.gif
    I hope to be able to place the camera at the end of the monopod and shoot it with the cable release by gessing the target, while the flashes are at the end of another rod/monopod.
    thumb.gifD