Options

Pricing Suggestions?

kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited May 22, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I've finally taken the plunge and opened a Google account to start advertising my site. http://www.openbloom.com/

I'm not spending much on the Ad Words account (it's based on a cost per click) but it's enough to start getting some traffic to my site to see what happens before I spend more on the Google ads.

All I've been involved with so far is selling the occasional photo on a stock photo site....so I don't have much experience in figuring out actual print pricing. At the moment I have things priced a few dollars (in most cases) over the actual cost of a print. For example, if an 8x10 costs $2 to print, the cost to the customer might be something like $4. Just an example. I know this may be subjective and come down to a "well, what's your work worth to YOU?" sort of thing and I understand that. I guess I'm just trying to get a feel for what people would be willing to spend on photos like the ones I have available.

I've been trying to go through and weed out the not so great photos and leave the much better ones online for purchase. I'm still working on that.
Friends and family always comment on my photos and say wow those are great. Maybe you all get reactions like that too. Of course me being the photog, I always see what's wrong in my photos but they don't see it that way. I'm always amazed at the photos people pick out as something they really like and would like to have on their wall. To each his own. So I'm also torn about removing photos I don't think are that great because I worry someone else may have actually wanted a print of that one. Oh well :) I'll figure it out.

For now, what's your input on pricing? Take a look at some of my landscape and flower photos....and also some of the Smoky Mountain sunset photos and let me know what your thoughts are regarding pricing. First and foremost, I'd like to SELL something....LOL But at the same time, I don't want to give things away if people would be happy to pay let's say $10 - $15 for an 8x10 of something they love? Just an example.

Feel free to be honest. If you think I don't have a right (based on the quality of the photos) to sell them at whatever dollar amount, then please say so :) I need some feedback.

Flowers/Landscapes:
http://openbloom.smugmug.com/gallery/4125998_xtHfn#289647902_dNtm8

Smoky Mountains and other stuff:
http://openbloom.smugmug.com/gallery/4126267_q47Mp#240824814_x5oga

Comments

• Options
    edited May 21, 2008
    Oops...this probably belongs in the other forum...sorry...the mind your own business forum....so if someone can move this thread please :)
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    An 8x10 may cost 2 bucks but that is only the print cost. What about time, equipment, overhead (everything else - studio/workspace - insurance, etc). It is very important to understand what your costs are in the biz. After getting all your internal costs then do an analysis of competition.

Competition is anyone selling in your market area. This includes other solo photogs, wedding shooters, the event photography companies that shoot in your area, area newspapers, artists that have booths at art and craft fairs, the galleries that sell prints and even that Sears portrait studio down the street along with everyone else in your market area.

Now you have your operational costs and your marketing information. With this information you can make some informed decissions.

I sell prints of events at about 1/2 to 2/3 of what the local paper charges. That puts an 8x10 unsigned at about 18 bucks. My 'art' stuff starts at $125 for unframed and signed images. My better selling art stuff starts at $250 and that's a direct to customer price.

Selling framed pieces is a whole other topic.

If you are fortunate enough to get in a gallery then expect the gallery to sell your work and give you 30% (not great) to 40-50% (common in many markets) to 60% (if you're lucky) of their selling price.

I should write a book about this.

Cheers,
    David
    MBA and successful pro photog - BTW.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2008
    Thanks for the ideas/advice David.

For now I'm trying to keep it simple - sell online via smugmug only. The biggest problem I was having is coming up with some pricing. After looking the advice here and other places, I think I've settled on a middle of the road to slightly higher than middle of the road prices. I checked a lot of sites I found by doing some Google searches and noted prices being charged and the level of photography involved. I've been encouraged by what I found. I guess you'd probably classify my stuff as art rather than someone you'd sell to a paper. Having focused on shooting stock photos lately, I know I do need to change my thought process and get more creative. The stock experience was a good teacher though. Stock agencies rip your photos apart if they're not up to standards so in that regard, it's taught me to be more mindful of what and how I shoot.

Probably my biggest challenge is - I only do this part time. All of my photos are what I'd call opportunistic photos. Photos taken at home in my garden (99% of my nature shots are from around my house - my other hobby is gardening) and the rest were taken on family vacations or work trips. Those Smoky Mountain sunset shots for example were taken with my wife and 3 year old waiting impatiently in the truck for me. So needless to say, for now shoot only when I have some spare time. I guess I'm doing ok for a part-timer :)