Rhyolite, Nevada (infrared)

BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
edited May 22, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
A few infrared images from a weekend visit to the ghost town of Rhyolite, Nevada, about 100 miles north of my home.

Ghost Rider (Goldwell Open Air Museum)
2510808584_2929b2cbdf.jpg

Rhyolite Mercantile (It's for sale!)
2509977329_03a2279c80.jpg

Colorado & Golden
2510809126_cd831f1118.jpg

Rattlesnakes at School (Panamint Speckled Rattlesnakes in the act of copulation)
2510113971_ffc6e6d4c2.jpg
Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug

Comments

• toberstobers Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    These are really cool. Is it an IR filter you are screwing on the front of the lens, or a specially adapted camera? And if the snakes are IR how did they stay still for so long?
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    BeachBill wrote:
    A few infrared images from a weekend visit to the ghost town of Rhyolite, Nevada, about 100 miles north of my home.

Ghost Rider (Goldwell Open Air Museum)

Rhyolite Mercantile (It's for sale!)

Colorado & Golden

Rattlesnakes at School (Panamint Speckled Rattlesnakes in the act of copulation)

I'm liking the uniqueness of the first image nod.gif
    Where those Rattle snakes in an enclosure, or did you just find them by chance ???

Thanks for sharing thumb.gif .. Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    tobers wrote:
    These are really cool. Is it an IR filter you are screwing on the front of the lens, or a specially adapted camera? And if the snakes are IR how did they stay still for so long?

IR converted camera. The rattlesnake image was shot at f/4 for 1/80 second. Oh, and if the snakes would have been moving, I wouldn't have been taking their picture. :D
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
    edited May 21, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    I'm liking the uniqueness of the first image nod.gif
    Where those Rattle snakes in an enclosure, or did you just find them by chance ???

Thanks Skippy. The first one is really growing on me as well.

Rhyolite is in the middle of the desert, about 2 miles from the western boundary of Death Valley National Park (California/Nevada border).

There are signs posted all over Rhyolite to beware of rattlesnakes. I had never encountered any in the wild before I took this photo. I was actually warned by a family leaving to watch out for the rattlesnakes by the back door of the building I was approaching. I don't know how I would have reacted if I would have come upon them myself. ne_nau.gif
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    That first photo is growing on me too.

Is that a tombstone statue I see in the back right with a guy swinging a pick of some sort?

Rattlesnakes....your lucky they were busy or you could have been in
    trouble :D
    edited May 22, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    Is that a tombstone statue I see in the back right with a guy swinging a pick of some sort?

That is a work of art titled "Tribute to Shorty Harris". The sculpture is a portrait and self-protrait. First, the "portrait" is of Shorty Harris, an early miner in the Death Valley area. Second, the artist wanted to include in his sculpture an indication of how “alien” he felt in the Nevada desert. The penguin was the most out of place entity the artist could think of to represent his own feelings of displacement under the Mojave sun, a self-portrait then as a penguin in the desert.[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][/FONT]
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    BeachBill wrote:
    That is a work of art titled "Tribute to Shorty Harris". The sculpture is a portrait and self-protrait. First, the "portrait" is of Shorty Harris, an early miner in the Death Valley area. Second, the artist wanted to include in his sculpture an indication of how “alien” he felt in the Nevada desert. The penguin was the most out of place entity the artist could think of to represent his own feelings of displacement under the Mojave sun, a self-portrait then as a penguin in the desert.

Very interesting. I'm going to have to visit this place sometime.

Using a penquin in the desert is "out of place" rolleyes1.gif
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    Howdy Bill,

What a series of unique images, I really like each and every one of them.

Such a neat location, hopefully you have more to show us from this place.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    Caution rattlesnakes. mwink.gif
    Ghost Rider is so cool. thumb.gif
    Michael