The Wonder Of It All!!

RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
edited June 7, 2008 in People
Okay...I finally got time to rework the PP on these two....CC welcome

#1 The ball is rubber!
308655675_9KRbC-XL.jpg

#2 Took this through the window looking in from the hallway.
308647714_EBmfF-XL.jpg
Randy Brogen, CPP
www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    C&C Welcome.
    Of course, if it was there>headscratch.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    Ooops sorry...try now...the gallery was link protected. ne_nau.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited May 21, 2008
    Ah-ha...what's not to love about an image like this. As long as he doesn't drop the ball in his face and start bawling!

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited May 21, 2008
    DonRicklin wrote:
    Ah-ha...what's not to love about an image like this. As long as he doesn't drop the ball in his face and start bawling!

Don

Laughing.gif Don...yeah...it's actually a rubber baseball.thumb.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• rspartsrsparts Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    Laughing.gif Don...yeah...it's actually a rubber baseball.thumb.gif

I like this one - and I should mention that I generally dislike baby pictures but something about this one I like... Maybe it's that your kid is cute. There is one thing I noticed and I'm not sure if it's just my monitor or not - it looks like there are blurry spots on the right side of your picture. Did you use a lot of noise reduction on this?
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    That's a cute kid, and a great capture.

I only comment about the fuzziness in the carpet in the upper right portion. Was there some PP done to change something?
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
    edited May 21, 2008
    I redid the pp a little on the right ..it should be better. There was another kid actually blocking some of the baby.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    I redid the pp a little on the right now...it should be better. There was another kid actually blocking some of the baby.

Much better! Nice shot!
    edited May 21, 2008
    Much better! Nice shot!

Thanks Heather. I added a piano shot as well.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    Awww so cute. I have an image of my son holding a baseball when he was 9 months old...it's my favorite shot of him. This year he made his high school varsity baseball.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    Randy,

I was lucky enough to see both versions of the first photo. In my opinion, it is WAY over processed...to the point of looking plastic. The carpet work in #2 does look better, but is still noticable.

The second shot is fabulous. I love it...and think it is awesome as is. However, if the person in the BG wasn't there it could be a contest winner. Very nice "moment catch"!
    edited May 22, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Randy,

I was lucky enough to see both versions of the first photo. In my opinion, it is WAY over processed...to the point of looking plastic. The carpet work in #2 does look better, but is still noticable.

The second shot is fabulous. I love it...and think it is awesome as is. However, if the person in the BG wasn't there it could be a contest winner. Very nice "moment catch"!

Thanks for the great feedback Jeff et al. I did a rush on the PP of the first one and had a bear of a time getting it to look natural. I'm going to work on it some more of the next few days and see if I can start from scratch and get better results.

The second one is also my wife's favorite. I could probably arrange for a staged version of it at my son's school and just reshoot the pic to avoid any complications from PP on that to rid the woman standing in the BG. Perhaps that's worth doing. Thanks again.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• wolfejmwolfejm Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    You have oe really cute kid. As a father of an adorable little boy I can say that with authority! mwink.gif

I have to agree with Jeff that the skin is too plastic in the first shot. I'm guessing the noise filter may just be cranked up too far based on the iso you mentioned. Let a little grain back in and I think it'll be a real keeper!

I love the second one. Great capture.
    - Jeff
    http://jeffwolfe.smugmug.com
    Canon 7D / EF 24-105L F4 / Tokina 12-24 F4
    edited May 22, 2008
    wolfejm wrote:
    You have oe really cute kid. As a father of an adorable little boy I can say that with authority! mwink.gif

I have to agree with Jeff that the skin is too plastic in the first shot. I'm guessing the noise filter may just be cranked up too far based on the iso you mentioned. Let a little grain back in and I think it'll be a real keeper!

Thanks....yes I use a program called Neat Image and I am going to take another shot at the pp on that. I am also going to see if I can get another shot at the second one to remove the person in the back.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited May 22, 2008
    wolfejm wrote:

Thanks wolf but it's actually not my son. He is the son of a friend of my wife and I. I'm going to definitely rework the PP on this. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2008
    Most coolness Randy! The first one looks a bit over un-noised but nonetheless, a great shot. Hmmm....a Karate gia with a baseball...something tells me that kid is going to have lots of interests...Laughing.gif.

The piano shot...well, I'm a sucker for pianos naturally, being a technician and player and all...thumb.gif Nice job.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2008
    Really nice captures.
    LadyTX
    edited May 23, 2008
    Can anyone recommend the best approach to removing the person from the background on #2? I've tried several things like cloning and it just doesn't turn out to look very decent. I've thought of actually reshooting just the blank scene with noone in it and then using layers to expose only the background area but I'd really like to use the piano shot as a project shot for post processing. Any assistance/advice/guidance is greatly appreciated.

-Randy
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited May 23, 2008
    Aren't there two people back there?

Yeah that would be a toughie. Select the kid and piano and invert selection and take to another layer and insert your own BG?

Don
    edited May 23, 2008
    Yeah...2 teachers in the background...I really want to preserve the essence of the shot so I want to tray all avenues to really bring it to the next level. Thanks for the input and I'll definitely try that approach.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited May 23, 2008
    I would reshoot the image and make it a little more dramatic...you'll be spending an hour or so cloning that person out of the image...so just retake it. So darn cute!
    edited May 23, 2008
    Seneca wrote:
    I would reshoot the image and make it a little more dramatic...you'll be spending an hour or so cloning that person out of the image...so just retake it. So darn cute!

Thanks Seneca....I'm sure I could arrange for the child to participate but I hope I can recreate the essence given that he is only 3.5 y/o.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited May 23, 2008
    Randy...you're an artist...you can do it! I have faith in you. thumb.gif
    edited May 23, 2008
    Seneca wrote:
    Randy...you're an artist...you can do it! I have faith in you. thumb.gif

Thank you so much for the vote of confidence beer.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited May 23, 2008
    I took the liberty of playing with your photo. I did this very quickly (less than 10 minutes) so I think that with some care taken cloning would be a viable option for you.

299216667_38nfE-XLcopy.jpg
    LadyTX
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2008
    I think they are both very nice shots, but the first one is way over sharpened. :cry Sorry.

I think if you were to reprocess this it would be great.

Sam
    edited May 23, 2008
    ladytx wrote:
    I took the liberty of playing with your photo. I did this very quickly (less than 10 minutes) so I think that with some care taken cloning would be a viable option for you.

299216667_38nfE-XLcopy.jpg

LadyTX that's terrific....may I enquire as to the process you used and if it was cloning what were your Settings for Mode, Opacity and Flow?

Thank you very much for your insight.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited May 23, 2008
    I just used the clone tool set a normal, 100%, and 100%. A few places needed some blending between the color changes, mainly on shadows and I went back with clone tool at 50% to blend a little. With some time and care taken you should be able to get the image you want fairly easy. Less time than a re-shoot IMHO.
    LadyTX
    edited May 23, 2008
    ladytx wrote:
    I just used the clone tool set a normal, 100%, and 100%. A few places needed some blending between the color changes, mainly on shadows and I went back with clone tool at 50% to blend a little. With some time and care taken you should be able to get the image you want fairly easy. Less time than a re-shoot IMHO.

Thanks so much. I'll give it a go.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited May 23, 2008
    Ok...there's my second shot at getting rid of the background persons on #2.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com