Options

Wildlife Lens

13»

Comments

• Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    davev wrote:
    You could do it Harry's way, read books, attend a workshop or two.
    Or, do it my way, send about 2 years, take thousands of shots, and eventually figure out what you're doing.mwink.gif

The one advantage that the 300 f2.8 has over the 300 f4 is the fact that it will keep auto focus with a 2X converter.
    I know were I live, more reach is always a plus.

Thanks for the comments on the shots guys.

Your way and Harry's way are not mutually exclusive...so I can do both. I do not plan on using a 2x c, just a 1.4x (at least for now and the foreseeable future). That combo on my XSi (1.6 Crop factor) will give me a big number. Compared to what I have now, I'll be in hog heaven. Best of all, I don't do photography for a living so I can just have fun. :D
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Thank you Harry. That is good advice indeed. I will get the book as you suggest.

How was the Alligator Farm? I don't suppose you made it to the Golf Hall of Fame (lol).

The Farm was fun as per the norm. The amount of activity there is incredible. Despite all the activity there its very hard to get a good shot. For most of the day the light was very strong and I found myself using ev adjustments of up to -2.3. :yikes

Then with all the activity it was hard to isolate a subject. I had to pass on some good captures because they had another bird right behind them. Additionally the nests are more obscured this year than I've seen in the past. Its extremely difficult to get an unobstructed line of sight into a nest. Quite frustrating.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2008
    Purchased the 300mm f/4 today
    Thanks everyone for all your help. You guys are great!. I learned so much just from our chat. It arrives Thursday so I'll post a sample next weekend.wings.gifwings.gifwings.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited May 27, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Thanks everyone for all your help. You guys are great!. I learned so much just from our chat. It arrives Thursday so I'll post a sample next weekend.wings.gifwings.gifwings.gif

Congratulations! clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Thanks J&H. Your photos are incredible! I really love the silhouettes.
    J: Thanks Dan. Sometimes the light is too low to get anything but silhouettes. But when life gives you lemons... :D

dlplumer wrote:
    What do you think of the 300mm f/2.8?
    H: Unbeatable within its "relatively" narrow range of capabilities (main limitation is its weight). A lens I'd definitely like to have though.

dlplumer wrote:
    I never intended to spend that much, but I'm thinking about how many lenses people buy before they graduate to the one they love. Why not just skip all the in between stuff and buy the best?
    J: Not a bad Maxim.

H: If only folks truly knew what their needs were from the beginning, eh? headscratch.gif

J: Enjoy your new 300/4.

H: I'm sure you'll be posting wonderful shots in no time.

J&H
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2008
    J: Thanks Dan. Sometimes the light is too low to get anything but silhouettes. But when life gives you lemons... :D

H: Unbeatable within its "relatively" narrow range of capabilities (main limitation is its weight). A lens I'd definitely like to have though.

J: Not a bad Maxim.

H: If only folks truly knew what their needs were from the beginning, eh? headscratch.gif

J: Enjoy your new 300/4.

H: I'm sure you'll be posting wonderful shots in no time.

J&H

Thanks J&H. I appreciate your encouragement.
  • Options
    howardhoward Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    It's a great lens Dan and I'm sure you'll get some great shots with it Congratulations. clap.gifclap

BTW I can't remember if it's already been mentioned in the thread, but if you do find yourself focal length challenged and in need of 600mm you can stack two 1.4x (I use a Canon and a Kenko Pro) and although you get f8 you can still autofocus in good/strong light. That's because when stacked only one of them reports to the body. It's not the best 600mm option but it works, it's light and better than trying to foot zoom across a lake rolleyes1.gifrofl
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2008
    howard wrote:
    It's a great lens Dan and I'm sure you'll get some great shots with it Congratulations. clap.gifclap

BTW I can't remember if it's already been mentioned in the thread, but if you do find yourself focal length challenged and in need of 600mm you can stack two 1.4x (I use a Canon and a Kenko Pro) and although you get f8 you can still autofocus in good/strong light. That's because when stacked only one of them reports to the body. It's not the best 600mm option but it works, it's light and better than trying to foot zoom across a lake rolleyes1.gifrofl

Thanks Howard. I ordered one 1.4x. With my 1.6 crop factor that brings me to an effective 672mm. Are you saying I can stack two 1.4's and get an effective 940mm? I hope I will not need to do that, but it's nice to know I can.
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    Finally, a decision and the order. You'll enjoy that lens for quite some time.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    howardhoward Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Thanks Howard. I ordered one 1.4x. With my 1.6 crop factor that brings me to an effective 672mm. Are you saying I can stack two 1.4's and get an effective 940mm? I hope I will not need to do that, but it's nice to know I can.

It always seems that you need more focal length for birds. My 500 has a 1.4x on most of the time giving 700mm plus crop factor, and even then I often wish for more and either us a 2x or add a second 1.4x. Where ever possible with the 300/4 I try not to add more than a 1.4x.