SouwalkerSouwalker Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
edited May 22, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Hi
I've crearted a gallery as follows:
Patrick de Souza>Holidays>Macau
I'd like to create multiple sub categories under Macau i.e

Patrick de Souza>Holidays>Macau>Christmas
Patrick de Souza>Holidays>Macau>New Year

Purpose of this is just to send link to friend relevant to the occassions.

Can this be done?
Thanks
Pat

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    edited May 21, 2008
    Souwalker wrote:
    Hi

Can this be done?
    Thanks
    Pat
    The structure you can have is
    >>> category >>> subcategory >>> galleries

So you could have a category called Holidays with a subcategory called Macau. Then within that you can have galleries for Christmas and New Year.

If you want to see an example of category / subcategory / galleries, take a look at the Travel category in my site. The first thing you'll see within Travel is something called Death Valley National Park - 2007. That's a subcategory. If you click on that subcategory, you'll see five galleries. Click here to go to my Travel category.

--- Denise
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    Souwalker wrote:
    Hi

Can this be done?
    Thanks
    Pat

You can create category "Holiday", sub-category "Macau" and then have galleries for Christmas, New Years, etc... You can't yet have a third level of categories "Christmas" that then has multiple galleries in it. I say "yet" because this sounds like something Smugmug is working on expanding our choices in the future.

You should keep in mind that unless you plan on having more than 10-15 galleries in Macau anytime soon, your site will probably be faster to navigate and easier to use if you keep the levels of categories as small as possible. Extra levels sometimes seems tidy and organized, but if they aren't really needed, they just make for more navigational steps when fewer would work better. Any categories are easy to change so you can always add more levels in the future when you start to have too many galleries in anyone location. This is not something you have to play for future expansion. I make my site simple to start with and only add levels when I start to get more than 15-20 galleries in one place.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • SouwalkerSouwalker Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    The structure you can have is
    >>> category >>> subcategory >>> galleries

So you could have a category called Holidays with a subcategory called Macau. Then within that you can have galleries for Christmas and New Year.

If you want to see an example of category / subcategory / galleries, take a look at the Travel category in my site. The first thing you'll see within Travel is something called Death Valley National Park - 2007. That's a subcategory. If you click on that subcategory, you'll see five galleries. Click here to go to my Travel category.

--- Denise

Works for me
    Thanks
    Pat