Dawn in Vancouver

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited May 24, 2008 in Landscapes
These are from last weekend, all of the shots except the last were taken along Stanley Park overlooking the Royal Vancouver Yacht Club (mere feet from where Ann's photos were taken, and by feet, I mean meters, or is that metres?), the last one is of the Burrard Bridge taken from the south side of False Creek at dawn*.

298701869_Br9oR-L.jpg

298733599_NBTh9-L.jpg

297674500_goqUV-L.jpg

298745234_z48Cr-L.jpg

297676168_XhWwN-L.jpg

* Funny story about that one. I got there at dark before dawn, looking for a place to setup. I hear a cop talking in the distance on a walkie-talkie (tangent: walkie-talkie? Who was the brilliant marketing exec who came up with that namey-wamey?). I didn't think anything of it, and continued walking along False Creek looking for a clear composition. Several minutes later, there was a blindingly bright white light shone in my face, as I often do when someone shines a bright light in my face, I cursed, loudly. Of course, it was the cop shining the light in my face (whoops!), but she let apoligetically let me go after she saw my tripod and camera ("I heard metal-on-metal..."), and then called off the dogs on her walkie-talkie.

Incidentally, I don't know what "metal on metal" usually signifies, maybe she was feeling sorry for me because I didn't have a carbon fiber tripod? (Little did she know that I do have one that's being repaired, ha!).

Anyway, I doubt the response would have been as civil in the US had I cursed at a cop so I was thankful that I was in Canada :D

Comments

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    wow, i just cant get over how much i enjoy #1, the colors on the clouds, the comp...the water etc...etc...bowdown.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    Your images are always fantastic and these are no exception. I love reflections on glass smooth water! I've visited Vancouver several times and consider it the most beautiful place I've ever visited. (Maybe that's because I proposed to my lovely wife in Vancouver) clap.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    wow, i just cant get over how much i enjoy #1, the colors on the clouds, the comp...the water etc...etc...bowdown.gif

Thanks Aaron, the first is probably my favorite of the series as well.
    edited May 22, 2008
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Your images are always fantastic and these are no exception. I love reflections on glass smooth water! I've visited Vancouver several times and consider it the most beautiful place I've ever visited. (Maybe that's because I proposed to my lovely wife in Vancouver) clap.gif

As far as urban cities go, I would have to agree that Vancouver is the best (I live in Seattle, which is very good, and I've lived in Portland as well, but Vancouver is better, as much as it pains me to say it). Not having a freeway bisecting the middle of the city is fantastic, and the gigantic Stanley Park, and a nice downtown that has a little of everything, the proximity to mountains, lakes, and the coast. The only bad part is the language barrier, but I adjusted after a few days :D
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    These are really pretty! I guess I should have dragged myself from my comfy hotel room bed when I was there! I really like the yacht club shots, and can't decide between the second or fourth (with Canada Place in the far background) as favorites.

I'm glad the cop didn't hassle you.

ann
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    Think I like the third shot the best, lots of pop.
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2008
    Nice job. Thanks for sharing.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

edited May 24, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    These are really pretty! I guess I should have dragged myself from my comfy hotel room bed when I was there! I really like the yacht club shots, and can't decide between the second or fourth (with Canada Place in the far background) as favorites.

I'm glad the cop didn't hassle you.

ann
    I wish I could sleep in when I'm on vacation, but I feel so guilty if I don't wake up and shoot at dawn somewhere. Perversely, I get more exhausted vacationing than I do not vacationing. I think I'm doing something wrong...

Vancouver is such an amazing place, water and mountains and buildings all over the place, I'd have to stay a lot longer before I'd feel comfortable skipping a photo op :D