A couple more

justjessjustjess Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited May 23, 2008 in Holy Macro
A few more bugs....
This first one is not a very good shot I admit, but I am trying to figure out what kind of bug this is...
700505_127549_88c04b25d9_p.jpg

This second one has me curious as well, it looks like a fly yet the butt end of it is striped like a bee?? I wish I were better at getting the entire bug in focus, something I will have to practice on
700519_127549_88c04b25d9_p.jpg

And the third is just another fly
700514_127549_88c04b25d9_p.jpg

Thanks for checking them out, any help with identifiying them is appreciated

Comments

• garytgaryt Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    Nice shots. First one looks like a plant hopper, and the second one is a hover fly.
    Gary
    Canon 30D, 28-80mm kit, 100mm Macro, 80-200mm, Kenko Tubes (68mm), 380EX Flash, and a wish list.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/garythompson/
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    justjess wrote:
    A few more bugs....
    This first one is not a very good shot I admit, but I am trying to figure out what kind of bug this is...

This second one has me curious as well, it looks like a fly yet the butt end of it is striped like a bee?? I wish I were better at getting the entire bug in focus, something I will have to practice on

And the third is just another fly

Thanks for checking them out, any help with identifiying them is appreciated

Hi Jess, those little Plant and Leaf hoppers come in all kinds of shapes and colours... I think the give away with Identifying the Hover Fly is those over sized eyes for the size of their body.

Those little guys at least give you a sporting chance and seem to settle long enough for you to take photos if your patient.

Nice work, a little on the soft side, but still very good thumb.gif .. Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited May 22, 2008
    Hi Jess, nice shots, i think you got the focus point a little to far into the hover fly shot.its body is more in focus than the head.
    focus ok on fly,try cropping fly shot with fly more to the left of frame,will give better composition.
    post some more.
    phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/
  • TwistedJTwistedJ Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    Nice shots. The second one looks like what we call a yellow fly here. They bite and it hurts really bad.
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    TwistedJ wrote:
    Nice shots. The second one looks like what we call a yellow fly here. They bite and it hurts really bad.

I loved each and everyone and I also appreciate the remarks made,
    Regards
    Bob
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2008