Police Shoot

PhilCollumPhilCollum Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
edited May 27, 2008 in People
I've spent the last year working with this great group of true heroes, and they asked me to take a group photo to memorialize our squad. This is a fairly common practice in our workplace, but most of the photos are simple snapshots taken in front of a police car. (Can you say boring?) I told my team that I wanted to do something different, and hopefully create something they could hang on their wall if they wanted to.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
It took us a week to choose a location that would work for our group (there were 20 people, one car, and one canine). Once we found a suitable location, I spent the next several weeks trying to plan and stage the photo, test exposures in the early morning, sketching lighting plans, mapping out the placement of subjects, and generally organizing the arrangements.<o:p></o:p>
The shot took a total of four strobes, which were mounted on stands and concealed out of frame or behind trees. All of the flashes were fired wirelessly. The camera was also fired via remote. It took quite a lot of trial-and-error to adjust and feather all the strobes, to try and get all the faces evenly exposed. Luckily I had several weeks of preparation in which to experiment, and I came close.<o:p></o:p>
In the end the photo looks very close to what I had imagined. A few of the faces are a bit overexposed, and I wish we had some more interesting sky to work with. But it feels pretty satisfying to spend a lot of time working on creating this image, and having it turn out pretty close to what I had planned! :D

If you're curious, I'm the guy kneeling second from left. You can actually see that I'm hiding the camera remote in my right hand.

299149689_HR5nE-L.jpg

After the group photo was done, I offered to take pictures of smaller groups or individuals. Here are a few selections.

1. Me, my boss (the executive officer for the shift), and my partner. My partner are I are sergeants, and are responsible for supervising the rest of the squad.
299154186_RZCBz-S.jpg

2. My corporals (two stripes on their sleeves). They're like acting-supervisors when I'm not around. The guy on the right is another photog, and helped get a lot of this set up.
299150594_cmVW3-S.jpg

2. The "Westside Crew". This group works the busiest, most crime-ridden sections of our city. They're a bunch of highly-motivated and highly-professional individuals, and they somehow manage to always come to work with a smile on their faces.
299151281_3rCzb-S.jpg

3. Officer Ditomaso. He's a gritty street cop who always seems to find and arrest some of the most hard-core bad guys around. But it's remarkable how gentle and caring he can be with a victim or a child.
299152605_3JY3z-S.jpg

4. Officer Tugashov is a native of Russia, and speaks fluently. He's a hard worker, and recently won an award for recovering the most stolen vehicles in the department. He's a canine officer, and is pictured with his partner, Wolf.
299154523_5MHxj-S.jpg

5. Officer Tugashov and Wolf sharing "a moment".
299154973_6R7yJ-S.jpg

6. This is Officer Longoria, and she's the smallest officer on my squad. She stands about 5-feet tall or less. I actually had her stand closer to the camera to make her look taller. But don't judge a book by its cover! She can hold her own with the worst of them!!
299157332_HRBP9-S.jpg

EDIT: I forgot to mention it, but comments (and especially critisisms) most definately appreciated! Thanks for looking.
Phil Collum
Phil Collum Photography
San Diego, CA, USA
Equipment list in my profile

Comments

• CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    Wonderful set! The first group photo is outta this world! Nice work!
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    Wow- You did a great job! I love how you posed that many people so creativly and the setting is amazing! And then you trusted it to the remote! I love how smiley your whole crew looks. That with the bright red in the trees make you and your squad friendly looking. How did you talk them into no tough guy looks! My DH (former pd) is a smiley guy, but for photos he always puts on his tough guy look.
    Excellent planning produced an excellent picture! I bet it will be a wall hanger!
  • PhilCollumPhilCollum Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    Sorry about the extra pics in the post, and there's one missing image. I somehow goofed and hit "Submit" before I was ready. And now I don't seem to have an Edit button to clean it up. (?)

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it.
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA
    edited May 22, 2008
    Wonderful set! The first group photo is outta this world! Nice work!

Thank you, that's very nice of you to say. It's not perfect by any means, but I'm very happy it came out like I wanted. It's pretty rewarding when you work hard for something like that, and are satisfied with the results.
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA
    edited May 22, 2008
    Wow- You did a great job! I love how you posed that many people so creativly and the setting is amazing! And then you trusted it to the remote! I love how smiley your whole crew looks. That with the bright red in the trees make you and your squad friendly looking. How did you talk them into no tough guy looks! My DH (former pd) is a smiley guy, but for photos he always puts on his tough guy look.
    Excellent planning produced an excellent picture! I bet it will be a wall hanger!

Thank you, Heather! They are a great group of people. I've probably supervised a hundred different people throughout my career, and this group is truly unique. I've been honored to be working with them.

While I was getting everything set up for the group photo, they were all shuckin' and jiveing with each other, laughing and having a great time. It's par for the course for these folks. I really wanted their personality to come through in the picture. Knowing them personally, I think it does. When I look at them closely, even some of the slightly different body postures and facial expressions seem to genuinely match their personalities.

Thank you for your comments.
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    That first photo is excellent. Well executed! Looks like you have a second career ahead of you! Put down the guns and stick with the Canon's! Great series! clap.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • janebush08janebush08 Banned Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 22, 2008
    good job
    i like the photo too.. great shot
    edited May 24, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    That first photo is excellent. Well executed! Looks like you have a second career ahead of you! Put down the guns and stick with the Canon's! Great series! clap.gif

Laughing.gif No thanks, not just yet. I have way too much fun with the guns and sticks! mwink.gif
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA
    edited May 24, 2008
    janebush08 wrote:
    i like the photo too.. great shot

Awwww shucks you guys are making me blush. Thanks for the comment, Jane. :D
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    OMG!!! Phil, the first shot is absolutely stunning. You did an awesome job!! clap.gif + the trees are sooo beautiful, almost look surreal ... haha. Got to say, I'm very impressed!! eek7.gifbowdown.gif
  • VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    Awesome shot. I shoto a lot of PD photos, but those are good group shots.
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    These are some of the best group photos I've seen. Your planning and preparation really payed off as the result.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    Absolutly fantastic series!! I love the first one and would be proud to hang that on my wall, if I were an officer. What an amazing tribute to officers.clap.gif
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2008
    My question is..."What type of tree is that"...I think the first shot is great!thumb.gif
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2008
    Fantastic, Phil! That first group shot should be hanging on as many walls as possible; especially on a wall in the department. Hell! All of them should be!

Great work! I'm very impressed! thumb.gifclap.gifthumb.gifclap.gif

Also, did you get a permit to park on public land? :D
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2008
    wow. wow. wow. bowdown.gif
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2008
    wow.
    edited May 26, 2008
    Oh my goodness, thank you all so much for the boost of confidence. Knowing the quality of photographers on this site, I am truly humbled by your kind words. Of course, I look at the picture and see several things that aren't right and that I'd like to re-do. But, generally speaking, I am glad it came out roughly as planned. And I'm very happy that you like the image as much as I do.

As for the type of trees, someone told me the name last week but I've already forgotten. I will find out and get back to you. Believe it or not, the flowers were actually brighter than they appear! I deaturated them (very slightly) so they didn't distract too much from everyone's faces.
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA
    edited May 27, 2008
    Seneca wrote:
    My question is..."What type of tree is that"...I think the first shot is great!thumb.gif

Thanks again for the kind words. The trees are Coral Trees.
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA