299484701_HKXgX-XL.jpg

4:
299484730_HodYL-XL.jpg
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    Nik:

Just my two-cents but I think shots on black backgrounds work better with just a bit of light on the background-- not much just a bit-- to provide some seperation between the model and background. That said, I've done shots like these too but tend to go with really dramatic lighting (ie a gridded strobe) to really create a moody shot. This set feels a bit in between those two options... not necessarily a bad thing, but not as dramatic as they could be.

And... all that said... I also realize not everyone is going for dramatic in their photos. With this look and outfit and model though, I think it would have worked nicely.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

edited May 22, 2008
    78954955.jpg

Here's a set-up shot about what I'm talking about. Gridded strobe as key, softbox as rim light, and there's another softbox behind that black bookend giving just a bit of light on the background (the bookend keeps the light from spilling onto the model. The beauty dish on the right is just to help light me (the photographer) for this shot.

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    Pete,
    thank you very much, appreciate your comments and sharing.thumb.gif I hear waht you say and I will try to entertain these ideas in the future shoots! deal.gif
    edited May 22, 2008
    Nik:

I've been enjoying your posts and you've been making tons of progress. One other idea just came to me-- shoot how you'd normally shoot, get your shot so at least you have something, then maybe just mess around a bit for fun just testing out some other ideas. Of course, don't tell your model you're just experimenting or trying something new, say something like, "Oh, I have one other idea that could be really cool. Do you have a few minutes to try it out?"

Just an idea anyway. Your work really is improving so obviously you're doing something right!

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    Nik:

I've been enjoying your posts and you've been making tons of progress. One other idea just came to me-- shoot how you'd normally shoot, get your shot so at least you have something, then maybe just mess around a bit for fun just testing out some other ideas. Of course, don't tell your model you're just experimenting or trying something new, say something like, "Oh, I have one other idea that could be really cool. Do you have a few minutes to try it out?"

Just an idea anyway. Your work really is improving so obviously you're doing something right!

Pete,
    first of all, thank you for your encouragement :-) thumb.gif
    I do like the idea of messing around, and I most certainly will in the future :-)