Andrzej Dragan Effect - Critique Please

photobrandophotobrando Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
edited May 22, 2008 in People
Thought I'd give this guys' post production techniques a try http://andrzejdragan.com/ , so I used a photo of my old man for my first shot.

Post production took about two hours. I also went a bit less dramatic. Lots to practice and I'm running back through a scimilar photo but turning up the heat a little bit more this time to see what I get.

BEFORE:
3O1F2244.jpg

AFTER:
3O1F2244-A.jpg

Comments

• PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    nice job. it seems you might want to smear some dirt on the subjects face to get the real effect :D
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
  • jpljpl Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    I think your PP does alot for your image.

Andrzej Dragan's portraits almost look like HDR shots to me.
  • photobrandophotobrando Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    Here's another attempt, using my cousin as a subject. I'm eager to try this post production with a properly lit subject rather than random pics that I have ;)

BEFORE:
    3O1F0603.jpg

AFTER :
    3O1F0603-C-2.jpg
  • 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    Frankly, this second example looks like a disaster to me -- I cannot find one portion of the image that looks improved by the technique. Her black eye!! All the wonderful light sculpting of light on her breasts in the original, gone in the PP! What zee heck for??

The first one -- the fellow -- much less of a disaster, but what is added besides a color cast?

Okay, something is lost on me here....
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • wolfejmwolfejm Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    Hmmm. Mostly what I see in the first one appears to be a change in white balance and muting the highlights in the background. I checked out the link you referenced just to understand your goal a bit. What I noticed was a significant (ok tons) of contrast on the faces and skin of the models, occaisionally with what must have been clearly an intentional color cast. It made the images (some of them quite eclectic) look sort of like they were of comic books ghouls and vilans. I think they're cool, but I don't think you've quite captured the essence of the effect you referenced.

I don't think it's going to be a flattering view of your "old man," but it could be very interesting. Keep trying!
    - Jeff
    http://jeffwolfe.smugmug.com
    Canon 7D / EF 24-105L F4 / Tokina 12-24 F4
  • wolfejmwolfejm Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    The second one wasn't working when I posted my first reply. I think you're MUCH closer now. Desaturating the image made a big difference. I still contend it's not a flattering view, but it makes me feel much more like I feel when looking at the ones you referenced. You might try playing with the grain selectively (in the model, background, etc) to see how affects the feel of the image.
    - Jeff
    http://jeffwolfe.smugmug.com
    Canon 7D / EF 24-105L F4 / Tokina 12-24 F4
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    Your photo of your father has worked out well, i like it. I see this effect as a fine line between excellence & disaster. I wish i was good with it but i think you need eyes like Andrzej to realise what photo/light will & wont work under this influence. I dont doubt for a min that his 'sight' cant be learnt as many arts can be. I really would like to learn more about it.