Options

Help with Improving This Image

hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
edited June 25, 2008 in Technique
I could use some input on how to improve this photo. I got some feedback on this for the current Challenge and the suggestion was to head over here and get some suggestions.

I used a drag shutter technique to get this picture, exposing for the sky and using the flash to illuminate the tree. I've done some PP to enhance the branch. Is there a way to push this to another level??

Here's the shot...

299576372_kNSuB-L.jpg

All C&C greqtly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    To me it appears as if the shrub were pasted onto the BG, which is a turn off IMO. The exposure on the sky looks pretty good, though it probably wouldn't kill it to be a tad brighter....but the sky is not where I think the problem lies.

The light from the flash onto the shrub is harsh and flat. In addition, the shrub and sky are out of synch on white balance. If you are able to fire the strobe off camera, that may be of some help, but also try dialing back some on the flash power. As for the White Balance issue, you will need to gel your flash to more closely match the natural light. A CTO gel(color temerature orange) might do the trick.
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    Jeff,

Thanks for the input. I hadn't thought about changing the color temp of the tree. I shot raw so I have a little leeway if I apply a filter in Photoshop for that layer.
  • Options
    weronikaweronika Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    I agree with Jeff, off-camera flash would make this a lot better. Right now it really does look like you just Photoshopped the two layers together.

Also, I think having the sky be either lighter or darker than the branch would help. Having them at about the same brightness level like this is just... disconcerting.

Also, I'd get rid of the out-of-focus shrubs on the bottom and right side.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Might also improve the shot if, on re-shooting this, you used a larger aperture to better throw the background (the clouds) a little more OOF.