Options

WTB Feisol or gitzo tripod

JimClarkJimClark Registered Users Posts: 305 Major grins
edited May 27, 2008 in The Kitchen Sink
Looking for a good used tripod for my 20D and a Sigma 100-300 f4 plus a 1/4x TC
I only need the legs. I have a macro lens so being able to get low to the ground is something I would like.
I do not want a benro or the other Chinese clones. I would prefer Carbon Fiber but would consider aluminum also
Models that would be preferred are as follows

Gitzo GT2530 or a GT2540

Feisol CT3371, CT3471, CT3342, CT3442

let me know what you have to offer
"Christianity, if false, is of no importance,
and if true, of infinite importance. The only
thing it cannot be is moderately
important." C. S. Lewis
http://www.photosbyjimclark.com/

Comments

• Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2008
    Benro quality might SURPRISE you
    JimClark wrote:
    Looking for a good used tripod for my 20D and a Sigma 100-300 f4 plus a 1/4x TC
    I only need the legs. I have a macro lens so being able to get low to the ground is something I would like.
    I do not want a benro or the other Chinese clones. I would prefer Carbon Fiber ...
    Heh Jim,

By all means, follow your own preferences and buy what you want, but in case there's any news here for anyone else --

Your point about "Chinese clones" is puzzling, esp when you mention Feisol (which is a Taiwanese clone). Have you ever seen or used a Benro tripod? You might be very pleasantly surprised at their quality. China's going through a quality change like Japan did -- initially known for cheap, low-quality clones, but developing higher and higher quality over time. Some products from there are clearly still "junk". But certainly in the tripod area, I'd say that Benro quality is very close to the high-end European manufacturers like Gitzo or Manfrotto. 90% of the way there, at least (at a third to half the price).

I own a Benro C-298n6 carbon-fiber tripod (image below) & KS-1 head and they're terrific. (and I got a matching MC-96n6 monopod while I was at it). The "n6" series is 8-layer carbon fiber, which is incredibly strong. I happened to buy these items in Beijing on a business trip, but Benro can be found nowadays at some photo suppliers here in the States (e.g. B&H), although they don't seem to have the models like mine yet, with the articulating center columns (which are very useful for low or downward-facing shots). You can get them through eBay, though (e.g. here). You can read other comments about Benro at this DPreview forum.

I would have gotten the model with 3 leg sections (C-297n6), but ended up with the 4-section model C-298n6). The 3-section C-297n6 is a little quicker to set up/take down and can extend slightly taller, but I went for the 4-section C-298n6 so it could fit more easily in luggage, if needed. I try not to use the center column much, for maximum stability, but love the flexibility of articulating column when I need it. It's spec'd to handle up to almost 18#, so it doesn't even break a sweat with my 40D + 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4TC, which is probably 7# or so.
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    JimClarkJimClark Registered Users Posts: 305 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    Yes and I just sold one. My one and only complaint is that the joint or spider is made if inferior metal usuallu cast pot metal which I have heard of servral failing. I agree Feisol is pretty similar but they at least cnc the spider out of aluminum
    Also had a ball head from amvona and it would not hold my camera without slipping.
    Jim
    photobug wrote:
    Heh Jim,

By all means, follow your own preferences and buy what you want, but in case there's any news here for anyone else --

Your point about "Chinese clones" is puzzling, esp when you mention Feisol (which is a Taiwanese clone). Have you ever seen or used a Benro tripod? You might be very pleasantly surprised at their quality. China's going through a quality change like Japan did -- initially known for cheap, low-quality clones, but developing higher and higher quality over time. Some products from there are clearly still "junk". But certainly in the tripod area, I'd say that Benro quality is very close to the high-end European manufacturers like Gitzo or Manfrotto. 90% of the way there, at least (at a third to half the price).

I own a Benro C-298n6 carbon-fiber tripod (image below) & KS-1 head and they're terrific. (and I got a matching MC-96n6 monopod while I was at it). The "n6" series is 8-layer carbon fiber, which is incredibly strong. I happened to buy these items in Beijing on a business trip, but Benro can be found nowadays at some photo suppliers here in the States (e.g. B&H), although they don't seem to have the models like mine yet, with the articulating center columns (which are very useful for low or downward-facing shots). You can get them through eBay, though (e.g. here). You can read other comments about Benro at this DPreview forum.

I would have gotten the model with 3 leg sections (C-297n6), but ended up with the 4-section model C-298n6). The 3-section C-297n6 is a little quicker to set up/take down and can extend slightly taller, but I went for the 4-section C-298n6 so it could fit more easily in luggage, if needed. I try not to use the center column much, for maximum stability, but love the flexibility of articulating column when I need it. It's spec'd to handle up to almost 18#, so it doesn't even break a sweat with my 40D + 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4TC, which is probably 7# or so.
    "Christianity, if false, is of no importance,
    and if true, of infinite importance. The only
    thing it cannot be is moderately
    important." C. S. Lewis
    http://www.photosbyjimclark.com/
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    JimClark wrote:
    Yes and I just sold one. My one and only complaint is that the joint or spider is made if inferior metal usually cast pot metal which I have heard of servral failing.
    I hadn't heard that until now, but it's possible. Given that concern, I can understand why you'd want to avoid that brand. (maybe I just haven't abused mine sufficiently, yet mwink.gif)
    Also had a ball head from amvona and it would not hold my camera without slipping.
    I've seen Amvona (probably in eBay), and wasn't comfortable enough with it to buy that brand. I've heard many positive reviews of Benro, though (and until now, no negative comments), so didn't have a problem buying Benro. Still happy with mine ... so far, so good.
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...