ftp please please please

2»

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    olegos wrote:
    So when a long video fails to upload, and you restart, does it start from the beginning again, or from where it stopped?

Some not too long time ago, with my usually speedy cable connection, there were very periodic interruptions of ~30-40 seconds, breaking connections with lots of traffic (low traffic connections, such as ssh, would survive). It was annoying, but not so much that I would bother calling a technician to come in and troubleshoot it. In that situation, a large file upload would never complete if it had to restart from the beginning every time. But as most places where I would upload (or download, for that matter) large files support ftp (or sftp) with restarts, SmugMug being a notable exception, it wasn't a big problem.

I presume you are asking video uploads in StarExplorer? My personal experience in the last two days is that when there's a hiccup in a long video upload in StarExplorer, the video starts over from the beginning. This is very unfortunate. If it's due to limitations in the Smugmug API, then they really ought to fix that in the API if they want to be good with video. If it's due to limitations in StarExplorer, then it would be great for Nikolai to address that. For mobile uploads, it's imperative that you can tolerate connection interruptions.

I've personally experience a hiccup far into a 50MB video upload and it's quite unpleasant to watch StarExplorer start completely over.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • olegosolegos Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    Just to make it explicit, my request for ftp still stands.

I have two problems I'd like to solve. One is a reliable upload of many photos and/or large videos. Second is a command-line upload of same.

There is two alternatives. One is a very specific software which I would use for this purpose only, not free, closed source, and maybe solves one of them (as long as I use Windows). The other one is something that solves both problems, that I'm already using for other purposes too, free, open-source, and cross-platform. Gee, which one would I prefer?

S*E must be great for some people or set of problems, but I don't feel that I'm in that set. I'm sure there are many others (this other guy looking for ftp that Nikolai quoted -- if he was using anything other than Windows, he'd be out of luck).

It really seems to me to be analogous to SM ignoring the availability and maturity of the various web browsers, and pushing people to use their own custom-grown browser to interface with it. I'm sure some functions could be handled much better than in a generic browser. But even AOL gave up with this approach.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    I presume you are asking video uploads in StarExplorer? My personal experience in the last two days is that when there's a hiccup in a long video upload in StarExplorer, the video starts over from the beginning. This is very unfortunate. If it's due to limitations in the Smugmug API, then they really ought to fix that in the API if they want to be good with video. If it's due to limitations in StarExplorer, then it would be great for Nikolai to address that. For mobile uploads, it's imperative that you can tolerate connection interruptions.

I've personally experience a hiccup far into a 50MB video upload and it's quite unpleasant to watch StarExplorer start completely over.
    It's HTTP POST limitation. Until SM API allows to break a large file into small chunks there is not much I (or anybody else on this planet) can do about it ne_nau.gif
    FWIW, I'm truly sorry for the inconvenience.. At least it stayed in the queue...mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited June 4, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    ...One of the top questions is, "Do you have a power uploader for pros?" and it links to StarExplorer.

We oughta do the same on the uploader page.

rolleyes1.gifear.gifmwink.gif ?
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited June 4, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifear.gifmwink.gif ?
    It might actually be better on the uploader page than where I put it because I'm getting some backlash* about it from Mac users who click the link and find out it's Windows only...

Problem with the uploader page is it's jammed, but maybe I can just put it there if the account level is pro, like we do with the help pages, and remove some consumer-grade uploader.

*...but not as much backlash as I'm fielding for adding &#$%@ ICC profiles to display images for Safari users.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    It might actually be better on the uploader page than where I put it because I'm getting some backlash* about it from Mac users who click the link and find out it's Windows only...

Sniff the platform and only put it there if it's Windows. Backlash gone. Could be done server side or with Javascript.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited June 4, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Sniff the platform and only put it there if it's Windows. Backlash gone. Could be done server side or with Javascript.
    I'd say - for power/pro SM users only (prolly too confused for std ones), and as John said, sniff the OS (or clearly say "commercial, Windows only")
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    olegos wrote:
    Just to make it explicit, my request for ftp still stands.

I have two problems I'd like to solve. One is a reliable upload of many photos and/or large videos. Second is a command-line upload of same.

http://wiki.smugmug.com/display/SmugMug/Hacks+and+Apps lists two command line uploaders.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • olegosolegos Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    cabbey wrote:
    I know. I tried them both, and one of them wouldn't work at all, and the other one some time ago worked ok for photos, but lately stopped working, but I was able to hack it a bit to make it work for me, though still with errors. And it won't work for videos at all. I sent feedback to the author with some suggestions on how to make it work for videos, but I understand it's not happening any time soon. I could probably make it work myself if I spent a few hours on it, but I consider all this wasted time anyway -- it should be ftp.