any P&S w/o shutter lag?

GventureGventure Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited May 23, 2008 in Cameras
Help - I am trying to downsize from a D200 and 17-55 etc to a digital P&S yet they all seem to have shutter lag. I just tried the G9 and it had a lag of exactly one second. SO, I really want to downsize but I need quick shutter release - is there a P&S for me?

Thanks, G

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 22, 2008
    Gventure wrote:
    Help - I am trying to downsize from a D200 and 17-55 etc to a digital P&S yet they all seem to have shutter lag. I just tried the G9 and it had a lag of exactly one second. SO, I really want to downsize but I need quick shutter release - is there a P&S for me?

Thanks, G

P&S cameras have several types of lag and are often lumped as "shutter lag".

There is:

Viewfinder/LCD lag
    Autofocus lag
    Shutter lag
    Lag to next shot

All of these tend to hinder responsiveness. Which of these are most important and which can you live with?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • GventureGventure Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    Thanks Ziggy
    ziggy53 wrote:
    P&S cameras have several types of lag and are often lumped as "shutter lag".

There is:

Viewfinder/LCD lag
    Autofocus lag
    Shutter lag
    Lag to next shot

All of these tend to hinder responsiveness. Which of these are most important and which can you live with?

Thanks Ziggy - what I am looking for is immediate shutter release when I press the shutter button - what I don't want is to push the button at the right moment only to have the camera wait one second before it actually takes the picture because by then the moment has been lost. That is the reason I went from my old Nikon Coolpix 5700 to a D70 a year or so ago. I thought by now the high end P&Ss would take the picture when I pressed the shutter button but so far I haven't found one to do that - have an suggestions?

Thanks, G
  • Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    Gventure wrote:
    Thanks Ziggy - what I am looking for is immediate shutter release when I press the shutter button - what I don't want is to push the button at the right moment only to have the camera wait one second before it actually takes the picture because by then the moment has been lost. That is the reason I went from my old Nikon Coolpix 5700 to a D70 a year or so ago. I thought by now the high end P&Ss would take the picture when I pressed the shutter button but so far I haven't found one to do that - have an suggestions?

Thanks, G

Just curious, why do you want to downgrade?
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 22, 2008
    Gventure wrote:

Thanks, G

There are P&S cameras with relatively short timings on all of these properties, but nothing even close to what you are now used too.

Your best bet for similar responsiveness to a dSLR is an entry level dSLR. Honestly, it is.

For instance a Pentax dSLR with a "pancake" lens is not much larger than some digicams but has a much, much better focus system, a true optical viewfinder, pretty fast lens with good sensitivity in low light, ability to use an external flash and much, much faster shot-to-shot times overall (including faster write to card times.)

Comparative timings for different P&S cameras:

http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutter-lag-comparisons.cfm?sort=ShutterLag
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited May 23, 2008
    too much stuff
    Slinky0390 wrote:
    Just curious, why do you want to downgrade?

between photography, mt biking, road biking, motorcycling, kayaking, climbing. camping with family, shooting sports, cooking, off road Rovering and Porsche stuff, any one or some of which I mess with daily, PLUS a job and a great dog, dude I just have no time. I love all those hobbies but some need to go - so - realizing that the photography is mainly a way to capture memories of the bike races, camping trips, etc. I am down grading photography from hobby to "hey I have a camera I'll take a picture". Crazy huh.

G
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2008
    Quick! Get the straight jacket! Someone let him play with a D3 for a while! :D

Lags in responsiveness are part of the territory with P&S cameras. The best you can do is learn the timing & anticipate it, pressing the shutter just that much before you think "the shot" is going to happen.
  • gchappelgchappel Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2008
    Gventure wrote:
    between photography, mt biking, road biking, motorcycling, kayaking, climbing. camping with family, shooting sports, cooking, off road Rovering and Porsche stuff, any one or some of which I mess with daily, PLUS a job and a great dog, dude I just have no time. I love all those hobbies but some need to go - so - realizing that the photography is mainly a way to capture memories of the bike races, camping trips, etc. I am down grading photography from hobby to "hey I have a camera I'll take a picture". Crazy huh.

G

Sounds so familiar. You sound young, I am 55. Raced porsches for years, bike -road -mostly 100 milers, and mountain- raced, sports etc. Photography was on the back burner for years. Shattered my knee in a mountain bike accident about 4 months ago, surgery, multiple pins, etc. Photography is becoming more important again, as I can't do the other stuff right now.
    Looking back, keep a small dslr. I have been using a fuji finepix f31 for a while- very little "lag", and have been happy with it. It is in no way a replacement for the D3.
    gary
    edited May 23, 2008
    OK - bought a Canon PowerShot S5 IS
    The Canon PowerShot S5 IS does not have an appreciable shutter lag. Done deal - now selling Nikon gear -
  • JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2008
    I used to carry my Pentax MX with a 50mm on it when I used to cycle on the road and, did climbing. But then I liked photography more than a lot of my other past times.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/