Options

ok new thread on the subject & then i'll go away

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited April 3, 2004 in Accessories
I have to buy some big storage, off round the world shortly...What would you buy (if you have any experience with it)

A/ 1 or 2 gig micro drive ...im not convinced at having a drive that is magnetic for reliability or the said extra battery power they chew.

B/ 1 or 2 gig CF...a card failure is going to end in tears (& ive had one)

C/ 5 or 6 x 256 meg CF cards to lessen the crash chance

D/ Big pile of 128 CF cards that are swapped occasionaly to over come losing one & losing the pics from one particular country.

All options are about the same price...

Im leaning towards the 128 meg option. I really only shoot in 2 meg mostly so that gives me a few thousand shots.

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2004
    I think the pros would agree with you. More small cards.

Not me. But I'm a gambler. And I hate stopping down to change anything.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2004
    How about a pair of 512s? I use a 1gb in the slr and a 256 in the S400. I hate changing cards. If I have two cards, that doubles the probability of losing one (for me, anyway). You can always buy another card on the road. You may want to take some sort of backup device with you to dump the card contents everyday. I don't know much about them other than they exist.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2004
    fish wrote:
    How about a pair of 512s? I use a 1gb in the slr and a 256 in the S400. I hate changing cards. If I have two cards, that doubles the probability of losing one (for me, anyway). You can always buy another card on the road. You may want to take some sort of backup device with you to dump the card contents everyday. I don't know much about them other than they exist.
    Ive had a good look at them fish....its really another HD to fail/another device to power & the cost for one is almost double the cards mentioned. I really have no issues with swapping cards....maybe several 256's would be easier to handle, dont mind changing cards on the run (i dont lose stuff in general). I just dont want to lose any shots.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2004
    Jeebus fish oil !!!!!!! Now you've got me back on the H/D storage thing that i washed off a month or so ago.

I can buy a Vosonic X's VP300 here for about $200 USD...with a 20 gig H/D...it will double up as a card reader which i dont currently own & will read about every card there is inc micro drive & xD.

20 gig....thats a lot of pics........ne_nau.gif

Have i talked myself into it yet ?
  • Options
    SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2004
    It reads every card that currently exists and you haven't convinced yourself yet?? What more do you need to know???

On one hand I see your logic regarding another failure point, but on the other, that failure point, it seems, also acts as a pretty good butt-cover. Then again, what do I know?
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    DeaconDeacon Registered Users Posts: 239 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2004
    Another solution
    If you are traveling you might want your own music. 40 gig ipod with Belkin capture device (works off AA battery) and 2 256 or 512 cards. Shoot, load to IPOD and don't worry. If you are shooting in a small format, the 512's will never have to be erased, you have just backed up the photos on the IPOD.

Very simple to download them to either Mac or PC.

Deacon
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited April 1, 2004
    Humongus
    My 2 cents worth - I'd go for a pair of 512Mbs - That is a nice size that fits on a CD-ROM later without doubling up or splitting. And those are big enough that when you get your DSLR they will still be useful. 128s will not work well with megapixel cameras I suspect.Laughing.gifLaughing.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited April 3, 2004
    I would suggest the 512's for the same reason pathfinder does.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?