Options

Innocent Flowers Cause Loss of Mind!

gpgoldgpgold Registered Users Posts: 469 Major grins
edited April 13, 2005 in Landscapes
More from the land of the wildflower addict. Early in March I went to the Poppie Reserve ( around the time I joined this forum). A couple of weeks later a one day 630 mile sprint through Death Valley and back. Last weekend I needed to visit Tahoe for business, so I drove from L.A. (1000 miles - 20 hours in the car over three days) in order to see the Mojave in bloom and the Sierra covered with snow. On the way back I said what-the-hell I'm close (only 15 miles off the 14) and stopped back at the Poppie Reserve for some afternoon light.

19218946-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SusanBSusanB Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    gpgold wrote:
    More from the land of the wildflower addict. Early in March I went to the Poppie Reserve ( around the time I joined this forum). A couple of weeks later a one day 630 mile sprint through Death Valley and back. Last weekend I needed to visit Tahoe for business, so I drove from L.A. (1000 miles - 20 hours in the car over three days) in order to see the Mojave in bloom and the Sierra covered with snow. On the way back I said what-the-hell I'm close (only 15 miles off the 14) and stopped back at the Poppie Reserve for some afternoon light.

19218946-M.jpg
    Very lovely capture with the combination of contrasting flowers and the poppies still closed but bright and colorful.

Susan
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    This picture is suffering from the out of gamut desease. Here is a diagnosis and quick fix.

I applied it to your image and got this:

19552508-O.jpg

Note that I did nothing but move your image in and out of CMYK. Better, right? But I think the idea with flowers is to make them really pop. I think your image is too light and needs contrast. I used LAB curves and got this:

19553044-L.jpg

What I did was almost identical to what I did here.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    gpgold
    Very nice shot wonderful colors too clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2005
    SusanB wrote:
    Very lovely capture with the combination of contrasting flowers and the poppies still closed but bright and colorful.

Susan
    Susan,

Thanks for your kind comments.

regards,

Gary
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    This picture is suffering from the out of gamut desease. Here is a diagnosis and quick fix.

I applied it to your image and got this:

Note that I did nothing but move your image in and out of CMYK. Better, right? But I think the idea with flowers is to make them really pop. I think your image is too light and needs contrast. I used LAB curves and got this:

What I did was almost identical to what I did here.
    Rutt,

Thanks for taking the time to show me this very helpful info. I have trying to teach myself photoshop from some books over the last year. Interestingly I just last week started to use the gamut warning and CMYK. I would try to get the CMYK as close as I could to original by having both on the screen.
    The help on this forum has been great. I really appreciate yours.

regards,

Gary
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2005
    gpgold wrote:
    Rutt,

Thanks for taking the time to show me this very helpful info. I have trying to teach myself photoshop from some books over the last year. Interestingly I just last week started to use the gamut warning and CMYK. I would try to get the CMYK as close as I could to original by having both on the screen.
    The help on this forum has been great. I really appreciate yours.

regards,

Gary

I think I was ahead of myself on this topic yesterday. There are still some mysteries, but there is a lot of helpful info
    here.

In all likelyhood, we weren't seeing the same thing when we looked at these flowers, especially the originals. Still, they are too light and a steeper L curve with the light side clipped more than the dark side will help a lot.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    I think I was ahead of myself on this topic yesterday. There are still some mysteries, but there is a lot of helpful info
    here.

In all likelyhood, we weren't seeing the same thing when we looked at these flowers, especially the originals. Still, they are too light and a steeper L curve with the light side clipped more than the dark side will help a lot.
    Rutt,

I didn't know that digital cameras had such fun with the color orange until I took my poppy shots. I have just been trying the LAB thing on some mountain sunflower shots.

I did a search but didn't find if you did a piece on USM. I wondered if there is one that shows how you decide what to apply. Your numbers were very different from what I have been using.

regards,

Gary
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2005
    gpgold wrote:
    Rutt,

I did a search but didn't find if you did a piece on USM. I wondered if there is one that shows how you decide what to apply. Your numbers were very different from what I have been using.

Man, nothing but great straight men this AM. See here and here.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Man, nothing but great straight men this AM. See here and here.
    Rutt,

I just checked in for a minute (I'm at work) thanks very much for the links. I am looking forward to studing your tutorial tonight.

best regards,

Gary