portrait

jsmileyjsmiley Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited May 24, 2008 in People
Here are two photos from this week, late afternoon sun, soft focus postprocessing. C&C requested

298778751_RsUBr-L-1.jpg
300043460_Fj7je-L.jpg

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2008
    Hi Jsmiley

For "late afternoon" it appears that the sun was still very high in the sky...and on a bright clear day. My idea of late afternoon at this time of year is after 6pm...and later. At this time of day, shadows will be longer, and since the sunlight has more atmosphere to penetrate at a low angle it should also provide somewhat softer light.

For photo #1-
    I bet this image looked better before processing. It is a nice composition. The background while not a completely blurry mess(which I like) is also not distracting. She has a nice smile. However, the treatment has made her face too blurry.

For photo #2-
    For a snap shot Yea...for a portrait Nay. The light and resulting shadows are too harsh. Her shoulders are too square to the camera. The background, especially the tree between her and the goat, is distracting. The goat is squinting?
    It is a nice candid moment though!
  • jsmileyjsmiley Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Hi Jsmiley

For "late afternoon" it appears that the sun was still very high in the sky...and on a bright clear day. My idea of late afternoon at this time of year is after 6pm...and later. At this time of day, shadows will be longer, and since the sunlight has more atmosphere to penetrate at a low angle it should also provide somewhat softer light.

For photo #1-
    I bet this image looked better before processing. It is a nice composition. The background while not a completely blurry mess(which I like) is also not distracting. She has a nice smile. However, the treatment has made her face too blurry.

For photo #2-
    For a snap shot Yea...for a portrait Nay. The light and resulting shadows are too harsh. Her shoulders are too square to the camera. The background, especially the tree between her and the goat, is distracting. The goat is squinting?
    It is a nice candid moment though!

Thanks Jeff
    I didn't start shooting until 5 p.m. I had scattered clouds and the sun was harsh.
    This is a 17-year-old graduating tonight, she has oily skin and did not want it to show. I used blur to hide most of that.

I prefer the sharp focus ones myself.
    Thanks for the feedback and I appreciate your observations.
    Oh yes one other thing I had two goats one dog and two horses I shot until 7:30 p.m. and they did not want to Cooperate ..
  • super starsuper star Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2008
    Hi...

#1 Soft focus spoiled your Picture... looks like your image OOF, Beautiful colors...indeed.

#2 Seriously.... do you think everything looks fine here ?? Light is too harsh and the goat with tag ?? for sale headscratch.gif . Smile is gorgeous...from your model.. Looks just fine...

-Super star :davidto
    edited May 23, 2008
    super star wrote:
    Hi...

#1 Soft focus spoiled your Picture... looks like your image OOF, Beautiful colors...indeed.

#2 Seriously.... do you think everything looks fine here ?? Light is too harsh and the goat with tag ?? for sale headscratch.gif . Smile is gorgeous...from your model.. Looks just fine...

Hi Super star
    I agree soft focus does not work on some photograph. I prefer sharp focus myself. But she did not want anyone to see the bumps on her face.

No the goats not for sale. The tag is just an identification tag. This is her pet goat and he just wanted to be part of whatever is going on. Thanks for looking and thanks for your comments. I've seen some your photographs and they look very good.thumb.gif
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2008
    Beautiful colors in these photos and a beautiful girl and a wonderful goat!!!
    LadyTX
    edited May 23, 2008
    ladytx wrote:
    Beautiful colors in these photos and a beautiful girl and a wonderful goat!!!
    Hi LADYTX

Thanks for your comments.. I see you shoot Sony. I have the A100 and I'm waiting on the a900.
  • RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    Let's see pic 1 without soft focus
    Load a large xxl of #1. without the soft focus

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” -Helmut Newton-
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    That first one...not sure why...but it hurts my eyes...too much blur on it I guess.
    edited May 24, 2008
    Load a large xxl of #1. without the soft focus

Here is one without soft focus
    300256617_gjTjK-L.jpg
  • super starsuper star Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    Crop...
    Hi Friend...

* I croped your image...
    * BG blurred to give more attention to your model
    * Images sharped where ever nessecary...

2cei58h.jpg

Now how is it look??deal.gif

• NateWagnerNateWagner Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    yes, I would definitely say that one looks much better.

Because she had said she wanted the oily skin not to show I went ahead and went one step farther. If you want me to take this off I would be happy to.

2518558150_75109e2932.jpg?v=0
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment
    Canon Stuff (and third party stuff as well)
    Tampa Bay Wedding Photography
    edited May 24, 2008
    super star wrote:
    Hi Friend...

* I croped your image...
    * BG blurred to give more attention to your model
    * Images sharped where ever nessecary...

Now how is it look??deal.gif

HI super star
    That looks good to me to. I appreciate the feedback.

NateWagner wrote:
    yes, I would definitely say that one looks much better.

Because she had said she wanted the oily skin not to show I went ahead and went one step farther. If you want me to take this off I would be happy to.
    Nate
    No don't take it down. If I had all the answers I wouldn't be posting.

My preferred subject to photograph his landscape. But when family or friends requests you to photograph them you cannot say no. Portrait is deftly not my strong suit that is if I have one
    thanks for the input.