Options

High Praise for Kinesis Gear

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
edited April 8, 2005 in Accessories
In another thread I rec'd Kinesis Gear as a firm to contact with regard to a chest style camera case that fit onto the straps of a backpack and not around the neck.
I want to elaborate on why I like Kinesis gear.

A few days ago, I called Kinesis gear at their number (435-462-2266) to order a soft lens case for a Canon 300mmf2.8 to use in lieu of Canon's hard case that looks like a makeup case, is very large, and screams STEAL ME!

I spoke to Richard Stum, the owner. He suggested that the E584 case was made for the 300mm f2.8 IS, but he warned me that he had received a complaint that it was too tight for the lens to fit easily and that he did not have 300mm f2.8 lens to test the fit with. He offered to ship the E584 case to me on a trial basis, and if I was unsatisfied, to just return it. That seemed fair enough. So I ordered it.

When I received the E584, I found that the 300f2.8 IS L with the lens hood reversed and the leather lens end cover slid into the E584 case easily, even with a ReallyRightStuff lens plate attached, but that it could be just a little tight to remove from the case, because there was no easy way to grasp the smooth nylon bottom of the case. I suggested a strap on the bottom to grasp for countertraction to aid in removal of the lens barrel.

Richard then offered to add the strap to my E584 case at no cost if I would just ship it back to him... I think this demonstrates why I like his firm.

I have purchased cases for my 300 and 500 lenses from Kinesis, and vastly prefer them to the stock hard cases. I am adding a harness to them that will allow me to strap my tripod to them as well. I think Richard is quite eager to help solve harness and gear problems with us, if we just talk to him. Kudos to Richard Stum at Kinesis Gear www.kinesisgear.com
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin