Options

Wireless CF cards?

ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
edited April 10, 2005 in Accessories
Has anyone used them? And brand's differ significantly? How do they work? Can I go direct to my laptop's wireless G card? Do they "Buffer" shots and transfer many all at once, or is it shoot-transfer shoot-transfer, or is it programmable?

Advice, expiriance, so on, so forth! My D70 is wanting one bad, and friend's D100 has begun to jones for one too......

THANKS!
"There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg

Comments

• Options
    Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    bump
    were can you even buy them? I have not see one yet... I want one for my 20D as well.. Same question.
    www.dipphoto.com
    All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    Has anyone used them? And brand's differ significantly? How do they work? Can I go direct to my laptop's wireless G card? Do they "Buffer" shots and transfer many all at once, or is it shoot-transfer shoot-transfer, or is it programmable?

Advice, expiriance, so on, so forth! My D70 is wanting one bad, and friend's D100 has begun to jones for one too......

THANKS!
    It is very bad when my camera jones for something.Means more moneyicon10.gif
    This is interesting and I too have not heard of this.
    Can you share more info?
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2005
    I've searched for them on B+H and not found them, these guys have them, which is good, but I don't know enough about these things yet.

What I WANT to have happen is I shoot, and then the pictures are zapped to my laptop wirelessly. I don't even know if this is what's supposed to happen with this particular card.

So, headscratch.gif?

OH GREAT GURU'S, CAN THIS BE DONE? ear.gif
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
  • Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    From my perspective this is for palm pilots and such. Gives you the memory space for additional apps and the wi fi for internet connection to your local lan and also wireless hotsync to your local machine. I am not sure that the camera would have the knowledge to know what to do with it. I would think the camera would only see the 128mb storage.

Just my.02

Tim
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    From my perspective this is for palm pilots and such. Gives you the memory space for additional apps and the wi fi for internet connection to your local lan and also wireless hotsync to your local machine. I am not sure that the camera would have the knowledge to know what to do with it. I would think the camera would only see the 128mb storage.

Just my.02

Tim
    Tim,that makes sense.
    It would be cool if you do the other.
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    The camera expects to send the data to memory, not transmit. Nikon has wireless transmitters ansd Canon is coming out with them very soon, and they will send to your laptop. I had this setup with my old D2H. The images would FTP to my laptop, then I had the laptop on the Internet via my phone and the Windows AT command would upload the images in that directory every 60 seconds. So basically right after I took a picture it was on the Internet a minute later. Sure is nice when folks threaten to grab your film.

Back to the topic...the wireless card needs an IP address to send to, and these settings need to be configured somewhere, usually in the camera. SO I do not think this will replace all our memory cards any time soon.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited April 9, 2005
    Depends what you're trying to do.

If you want to upload to a server someplace, you will need to be within
    range of a wireless access point. Canon's wireless is essentially an FTP
    client that uploads data to a server running on your laptop.

You'll need to be within a couple of hundred feet of the server for the
    Canon WFT-E1 to work correctly. There's an extended range antenna that
    should get you to 500ft. Otherwise, camera wireless (as Canon have
    implemented it) works like any other 802.11(g) device would.

Setting it up should easy enough if you are familiar with basic network
    concepts.

The WFT-E1 works with the 1DSMkII, 1DMkII and the 20D. It's form factor
    is a small rectangle that mounts under the camera body.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2005
    Even though they recommend you being within a hundred feet or so, the world record for wireless 802.11b communication, unamplified, is 58.1 miles, set last year at Defcon in Las Vegas, Nevada in July. The antenna was enormous, but the power was the standard. I bet with the right antenna you can really have fun.

It may be a good idea to run WEP as well, so that no one else sniffs your photos right out of the air.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    It may be a good idea to run WEP as well, so that no one else sniffs your photos right out of the air.
    I don't know about that. Read this article first. Maybe pick WPA as alternative :D

Ian
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2005
    Good info all, thanks for setting me straight.
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2005
    Just as an observation, the card looks too big to fit in the camera with the door closed, so the camera will not switch on ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2005
    Stan wrote:
    Just as an observation, the card looks too big to fit in the camera with the door closed, so the camera will not switch on ne_nau.gif
    If you use the CF wireless card, yes. But the Canon wireless bolts on the
    bottom of the camera.

Ian
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2005
    The Canon wioreless product also connects via USB. The camera needs MEMORY to hold the image before transferring, so the CF card MUST be there. You cannot get away with replacing it with a wireless card. The wireless card needs an IP address, subnet mask, and gateway to which to send the pictures. Think about it...if you add a wireless card, how is it going to know where to send the images you shoot? You need memory in your PC, you cannot add a wireless card in its place.
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    The Canon wioreless product also connects via USB. The camera needs MEMORY to hold the image before transferring, so the CF card MUST be there. You cannot get away with replacing it with a wireless card. The wireless card needs an IP address, subnet mask, and gateway to which to send the pictures. Think about it...if you add a wireless card, how is it going to know where to send the images you shoot? You need memory in your PC, you cannot add a wireless card in its place.
    ***hand raised*** :D

So teach, can my D70 do that right now? Can I connect via usb and shoot directly to my laptop that way? There seems to be a menu option that says "usb: mass storage/ptp or something like that. Can I use that to connect them by usb and transfer as I go?
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    The wireless card needs an IP address, subnet mask, and gateway to which to send the pictures. Think about it...if you add a wireless card, how is it going to know where to send the images you shoot? You need memory in your PC, you cannot add a wireless card in its place.
    He's going to use his laptop (that part is in the original message)
    and run an FTP server on it. He can run the wireless card in had-hoc or
    infrastructure mode.

Of course there'll be some setup. But it's not difficult and there are two
    large chunks of non publically routeable address space to choose from.

Erik, I think you can shoot tethered (USB cable between the camera
    and laptop).

Ian

Ian
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2005
    I do not now if the D70 has a similar attachment, I doubt it though. The camera has to have a menu into which to put the IP address it will use.