Print quality .. question

tryin'tryin' Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited May 24, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I ordered my first print to test the print quality and to start creating a portfolio file. The photo was formatted 'auto'. When I got it, it was much darker that I saw on the screen and quite grainy. It was a B&W picture. I have changed all my settings to 'true' now in hopes that I will get a print of the photo that is actually seen on the screen. Again I ordered a print, but it has yet to arrive.

I had my first client today and am naturally a little anxious to make sure that the prints they get are what they are seeing on the screen. Any tips? What am I doing wrong?

I am using a mac ...

Sue

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2008
    Heh - true will be darker than auto. May I please have the order #, and I'll do some analysis of your files, okay?

Thanks!
  • tryin'tryin' Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    The order I placed with 'true' coloring is 585494, it's the same photo ... I cannot find the order number for the previous version with 'auto'.

All of my photographs are still now on 'true' with 7 days proofing ... which I hope will give me time to fix the print question before my client gets her prints.

My site is at www.suebrucephotography.com, the client photographs are in the 'clients' gallery. The specific photograph referenced above is in the 'Connors' gallery (password lynn) and the photos I took yesterday in the McGuane-Murphy gallery (password Kate2008).

I don't mind if you (or anyone else looks) because I want to understand how to manage print quality from various perspectives. I just want them to look like the photos you see in the gallery.

Sue
    edited May 24, 2008
    True color for the boy on the swing.
    Though I think he needed more light, the BW's a bit muddy.
    edited May 24, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    True color for the boy on the swing.
    Though I think he needed more light, the BW's a bit muddy.

So how do I decide if it should be true or auto ?

I am waiting for the true photo I ordered to arrive (hopefully today) so I can compare it with the auto. I went ahead and switched all the galleries back to auto.

Sue
    edited May 24, 2008
    tryin' wrote:
    So how do I decide if it should be true or auto ?

I am waiting for the true photo I ordered to arrive (hopefully today) so I can compare it with the auto. I went ahead and switched all the galleries back to auto.

Sue
    BWs should be true. Most all other shots can be Auto. Our Auto is nothing short of amazing, and if you don't process perfectly, use it thumb.gif

http://wiki.smugmug.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=754083

http://www.smugmug.com/help/too-red
    edited May 24, 2008
    Thank you ... That was extremely helpful advice!