Dad + my new Lightsphere II

ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
edited May 24, 2008 in People
Just got the cloud lightsphere in the mail earlier this week, finally had a chance to test it out. I'm really pleased with it. Below is my dad. First without the lightsphere, second with the lightsphere. Both times aiming the flash up to the ceiling.

300328920_nrFzt-M.jpg

300328640_p6Nve-M.jpg

I love the eyes and just the overall warmth this thing creates :)

More playing around w/ the lightsphere (including my dad taking a few photos of me) are here: http://photos.cathoffman.com/gallery/5007227_wB5PS

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2008
    Cat,

There is a shadow on his shoulder in the second shot that is not there in the first one. Try removing the lid and shooting through to the ceiling. It should also soften the light in his face a tad. I love mine. It does what it is supposed to do!
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2008
    Yay! for shopping sprees! wings.gif
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Cat,

There is a shadow on his shoulder in the second shot that is not there in the first one. Try removing the lid and shooting through to the ceiling. It should also soften the light in his face a tad. I love mine. It does what it is supposed to do!

Yeah I noticed that oddity and wasn't sure how to correct it, so I'll definitely give that a try. You were actually one of the reasons I chose to buy mine, since I read that you used one and to much success :) Overall though despite that slight shoulder shadow, I love the way his face looks and how the light hits his eye! So it will only improve from here as I learn how to use the pretty toy :)

I'm hoping to give it a try for some of the portraits at the wedding I'm doing tomorrow.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    I wasn't trying to imply that the shadow was a good or bad thing...only that there is some flexibility to be had by popping that lid off. It lets much more light out the end that way...and...you can aim the end at a wall and get nice soft side lighting. Just figured since you were kicking the tires, you might want some other ideas on how to use your new salad bowl!mwink.gif

Have fun!!
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I wasn't trying to imply that the shadow was a good or bad thing...only that there is some flexibility to be had by popping that lid off. It lets much more light out the end that way...and...you can aim the end at a wall and get nice soft side lighting. Just figured since you were kicking the tires, you might want some other ideas on how to use your new salad bowl!mwink.gif

Have fun!!

Hehe I had it shipped to work and my students employees were asking what it was, and I was like "it's my tupperware!"

I appreciate any and all insight you have w/ the Lightsphere as I learn how to use it :)