Options

Making the switch from iPhoto to Lightroom

insideoutofloveinsideoutoflove Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited May 24, 2008 in Finishing School
Okay, so I've finally had it with iPhoto. I want everything to be managed by Lightroom. Here's my situation:

Because I have so many photos from so many different events, I've used iPhoto Library Manager to split my humungous library into 6 separate libraries (Art, Concerts, Vacations, etc.) and have one main "Current" library on my computer hard drive that has photos from within the last year, and the remaining 5 libraries on my external HD for access only when I plug in my HD.

What is the easiest way to transfer all of my photos to Lightroom? How can I keep them categorized as they are now, into events and sub-albums, etc? (I have 20,000+ photos so reorganizing all of them would not only be a pain in the ass but I'd be doing it for months)

The issue is that the new iPhoto keeps all files collectively in one iPhoto package, so I can't go into separate folders within the library (in the finder) and select the files I want--I am going to have to go through the process of exporting files from iPhoto to folders on an external HD, and then re-importing into Lightroom. I know there is no easy way to do this, but if you have any ideas I'd really appreciate it.

Ugh I'm going to be SO glad when I have all my photos in one place, nicely organized and easy to access. Please tell me there's a somewhat easy way to do this!!

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2008
    Okay, so I've finally had it with iPhoto. I want everything to be managed by Lightroom. Here's my situation:

Because I have so many photos from so many different events, I've used iPhoto Library Manager to split my humungous library into 6 separate libraries (Art, Concerts, Vacations, etc.) and have one main "Current" library on my computer hard drive that has photos from within the last year, and the remaining 5 libraries on my external HD for access only when I plug in my HD.

What is the easiest way to transfer all of my photos to Lightroom? How can I keep them categorized as they are now, into events and sub-albums, etc? (I have 20,000+ photos so reorganizing all of them would not only be a pain in the ass but I'd be doing it for months)

The issue is that the new iPhoto keeps all files collectively in one iPhoto package, so I can't go into separate folders within the library (in the finder) and select the files I want--I am going to have to go through the process of exporting files from iPhoto to folders on an external HD, and then re-importing into Lightroom. I know there is no easy way to do this, but if you have any ideas I'd really appreciate it.

Ugh I'm going to be SO glad when I have all my photos in one place, nicely organized and easy to access. Please tell me there's a somewhat easy way to do this!!

There are a number of helpful sites in this Google search. I found this one to be the simplest.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    insideoutofloveinsideoutoflove Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited May 23, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    There are a number of helpful sites in this Google search. I found this one to be the simplest.
    Thanks--I actually did a similar search and have been reading through them for the past hour or so, and that was the best solution I could find too (the second link). I just wanted to see if I could find anyone who had actually gone through the process and could give me some tips on what worked for them--diving into a 3rd party application that I don't know how to use has caused me some problems in the past. That definitely looks like the best option so far though. Thank you!
  • Options
    FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    Whibal.com
    I'm new to lightroom as well ,and still can't believe how user friendly it is ....
    I found some tut's on WhiBal.com that were pretty helpful,,,Atleast it got me on my way.....

Goodluck: Bradyrolleyes1.gif
    Dad/Photograher:ivar