new lens: Tamron 28-300mm VC f/3.5-6.3 Nikon mount

dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
edited May 26, 2008 in Cameras
a20n2.jpg

i got a call from Calumet photo today letting me know that the Tamron 28-300mm VC lens for Nikon that i ordered months ago finally came in. (ahead of the may 30th official japanese release as noted on the Tamron Japan website http://www.tamron.co.jp/en/news/release_2008/0515.html) i rushed down to chicago from indiana to pick it up and made it in just before they closed. i only fired off a few shots with it tonite but nothing to really test it. i've got 2 weddings lined up for this weekend and i'll be putting this one through some real world shooting. is this a pro lens? definitely not. it's prosumer at best. my initial thoughts are:

1) SLOOOOOOOW AF. wow. slow. i'm slightly spoiled by Nikkor AF-S; however this thing is slower than the Tamron 28-75mm and 17-50mm.

2) VC is noisy. who'd ever thought that image stabilizing servos would be this noisy? i could see it getting annoying in a church if i were trying to use it.

3) pretty sharp overall. center iq looks good so far.

4) zoom rotating is nice and tight. we'll see if zoom creep is prevalent as i start to really use it. it does seem as the last twist from 200mm - 300mm doesn't feel quite as exact however.

that's all for now. update again in a day or two.
- Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
- my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
- follow me on twitter: @danginphoto

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 24, 2008
    Thanks Dan.

I gather this particular version covers full frame imagers and do I also understand it to have its own motor (like AF-S).

Will it work with autofocus on the D40/D40x/D60?

Thanks again,
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2008
    F6.3 @ 300 is wide open?? I can't even imagine how dark that lens must be looking thru with out high noon sunlight crawling thru it.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2008
    F6.3 @ 300 is wide open?? I can't even imagine how dark that lens must be looking thru with out high noon sunlight crawling thru it.

I used to use an F8 - 500mm lens for wildlife and other things including moon shots......now it was just an f8 totally manual had to an adaptall adapter for my camera at the time....talk about dark:D:D:Drolleyes1.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2008
    i'm still working on the review. i ran the lens through the ringer pretty well these past couple of days. not so well lit churches, blindingly bright outdoor conditions, cloud-covered skies, to mixed lighting inside of reception halls. i'll answer some of the questions posed so far until i've got some images posted with comments.

- it is a full frame lens
    - it does have it's own built in AF servo mechanism however it is not quite like Nikon AF-S
    - it will autofocus with the Nikon D40/40x/60 cameras
    - the wide open aperture ranges from f/3.5-6.3 depending zoom
    - f/6.3 really isn't *that* bad considering i was taught "f/8 and forget it" from many old school photojournalists
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto